I am going to .............. festival instead.

Chrisp1986

13 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Bit the bullet and bought 4 tickets for BigFoot festival. 

£99 for weekend camping is just too good to turn down.

I love the look of this one too, highly doubt june is happening tho. Surprised they havent tried to move it till September tbh, they might not be able to for whatever reason.

45 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

I love the look of this one too, highly doubt june is happening tho. Surprised they havent tried to move it till September tbh, they might not be able to for whatever reason.

Full refund policy and they seem to be pretty confident. 

The organisers successfully held a 2000 strong craft beer festival last September in Bristol. Surely we'll be in a better place by June than we were then? Capacity will probably be double but so will our methods of providing a safe environment.

48 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Considering trying for Houghton again...they've had absolutely rotten luck. Really hoping they make it back this year!

Went to Gottwood a few years back which was absolutely incredible, and from what i've been told Houghton is EVEN better. Ran by the same team, and as you've mentioned both had terrible bad luck over the years (The last Gottwood was a complete wash out and from what ive been told many gave up after on the penultimate day)

As Boomtown and Houghton are on the same weekend its one or the other for me. Really want to take the punt on Houghton but theres something special about Boomtown which keeps bringing me back.... also slightly concerned about the long term prospects of Boomtown, so if it is the last one then i certainly don't want to miss out

24 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Went to Gottwood a few years back which was absolutely incredible, and from what i've been told Houghton is EVEN better. Ran by the same team, and as you've mentioned both had terrible bad luck over the years (The last Gottwood was a complete wash out and from what ive been told many gave up after on the penultimate day)

As Boomtown and Houghton are on the same weekend its one or the other for me. Really want to take the punt on Houghton but theres something special about Boomtown which keeps bringing me back.... also slightly concerned about the long term prospects of Boomtown, so if it is the last one then i certainly don't want to miss out

Yeah I've only heard good things about Gottwood. I went to Houghton in 2018 and it was really great. The 24 hour music licence means that everyone got to play longer sets and so they could really do interesting things, plus it's a small site so you really felt like you could get to know the place. The only drawbacks were that there is absolutely NO signal whatsoever, so if you're lost you're lost. Also the year we went was the year they got the toilet logistics completely wrong - they made the longdrops at the back of Pyramid look immaculate.

I've never been to Boomtown but keen to try - just need to convince some friends to give it a go. I don't know much about their financial situation beyond that obviously all festivals are gonna be struggling at the moment. Are they looking particularly precarious do you think? Would be a damn shame if they went under having never experienced it. 

35 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Yeah I've only heard good things about Gottwood. I went to Houghton in 2018 and it was really great. The 24 hour music licence means that everyone got to play longer sets and so they could really do interesting things, plus it's a small site so you really felt like you could get to know the place. The only drawbacks were that there is absolutely NO signal whatsoever, so if you're lost you're lost. Also the year we went was the year they got the toilet logistics completely wrong - they made the longdrops at the back of Pyramid look immaculate.

I've never been to Boomtown but keen to try - just need to convince some friends to give it a go. I don't know much about their financial situation beyond that obviously all festivals are gonna be struggling at the moment. Are they looking particularly precarious do you think? Would be a damn shame if they went under having never experienced it. 

Yeah the 24 hour music license is whats tempting me, even though I struggle to call it a night at most festivals anyway! 

Wont pretend to know the ins-and-outs, but from what people have said on here i think the festival was in a precarious position the last few years before all this, with Covid just exacerbating their position. They seemed to have shifted their paradigm by dropping the capacity in half, not releasing a lineup until a week or so before amongst other things.

5 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Full refund policy and they seem to be pretty confident. 

The organisers successfully held a 2000 strong craft beer festival last September in Bristol. Surely we'll be in a better place by June than we were then? Capacity will probably be double but so will our methods of providing a safe environment.

They’ve just emailed with buy now pay in june (or when it happens) which means please buy now so we can get some sales for 2022 in early... Appreciate festivals are struggling so dont blame them but they cant be confident of june behind the scenes. Obviously they will be bullish in public

a music festival is incomparable to a beer festival which must have been all seated

Edited by Memory Man

28 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

They’ve just emailed with buy now pay in june (or when it happens) which means please buy now so we can get some sales for 2022 in early... Appreciate festivals are struggling so dont blame them but they cant be confident of june behind the scenes. Obviously they will be bullish in public

a music festival is incomparable to a beer festival which must have been all seated

Just received the same email.

Many organisers of events last year would have just thrown in the towel, so the fact they managed to put something on is admirable. As you've said, completely different for a Craft Beer Music festival, but if theres a change in the restrictions come June, id like to think the Festival will give it their best shot in making it work in whatever format they can.

Saying this, i cant see it happening, but for £99 and giving our group something to look forward too, we've taken the punt! 

58 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i'm not aware of a single one!

That doesn't mean there aren't any, but the numbers must be very small.

From memory there was a small scale food and beer festival (or something similar) local to me that was cancelled so just assuming its happened elsewhere - Admittedly thats all i have to base it on!

I’ve still got my rolled over tickets from 2019 Houghton which was cancelled the morning of the festival due to high winds. 
Hoping to make it at some point, but with 2 years cancelled in a row it is definitely a concern if it will be able to continue at all regardless of Covid.

I’ve also got Naked City Festival which is a 1 day festival in Beckenham palace park in July which I have high hopes for. 
Along with Maiden Voyage which is Bank Holiday Sunday at the end of August. Actually hoping I won’t make that one as will be at Shambala. But it’s a good back up. 

Ive got a ticket for maiden voyage too, couldnt resist for a tenner. Day fest at end of august has the most chance out of anything! Even if that chance is still quite small. Got a nice hotel in london booked for 2 nights over august the bank holiday for it so even if it doesnt go ahead should still be able to have a nice weekend in london doing bits & bobs 

On 1/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, TheFullShaboo said:

Can only comment on Lost Village from personal experience, but IMO its one of the better festivals in the UK. Relatively small site allowing you to bop (literally to the music) between the stages in no time, and even your tent if you've landed a half decent spot. 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, TheFullShaboo said:

From what i can work out from their website theres definitely 3 stages, possibly more, and they've announced 25 acts so far, which effectively means 3 bands per day per stage. So yeah, theres definitely a load more names to be added, whether or not there are big names we will have to wait and see!*

*appreciate this is a sweeping generalisation 

On 2/1/2021 at 12:22 PM, gherring8 said:

Haven’t been since 2016 but Shambala is small and great. 
Makes a nice change to not have to walk miles between stages. And the fact you don’t lose your entire group if you nip to the loo or back to the tent. 
There is so much to see and do for kids and adults alike. 
Now just 🙏🏼 that 2021 can go ahead.

I'm looking at 2 options for myself, Mrs B and mini B, both the same weekend.

Shambala 
Pros: lots for kids, visually good, probably decent lineup, fairly big.
Cons: More expensive, far from me, no lineup yet. 

Watchet
Pros: Very near me, cheap.
Cons: Not a great line up, early finish.

Any helpful input anyone? 

Like the look of Lost Village which is also the same weekend and looks right up my street but it doesn't look like it's very child friendly? 

Also want to do Boomtown, but not with a 1-year-old. 

On 1/31/2021 at 6:49 PM, Big durbs said:

Just booked valley fest ( a small local fest ) good couple of bands I would like to see.

and we get to give some support to a small fest 🙂 

Been desperate for something.... anything.... to look forward to. Have been following this thread, and reviewing all the options. Have today taken the plunge on this one, looks great and the line up suits me. Not a local one for me by any stretch, but I’m hoping and praying I’ll be able to make a wee holiday of the trip there and back. Fingers crossed! 

Lost village isnt child friendly at all. Its an 18-30 party fest in the main with a small smattering of slightly more mature people. Theres nothing specifically geared to the young uns. 

The music ends at 2am but tbh that's late enough for me, stuff just starts a bit earlier. Good acts are on from mid afternoon. 

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Like the look of Lost Village which is also the same weekend and looks right up my street but it doesn't look like it's very child friendly? 

Lost Village is child friendly in the sense that there are people dancing on cars and airplanes all day, just that the people doing it are in their 20s and too bollocksed to get down.

37 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Lost Village is child friendly in the sense that there are people dancing on cars and airplanes all day, just that the people doing it are in their 20s and too bollocksed to get down.

10 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Lost village isnt child friendly at all. Its an 18-30 party fest in the main with a small smattering of slightly more mature people. Theres nothing specifically geared to the young uns. 

The music ends at 2am but tbh that's late enough for me, stuff just starts a bit earlier. Good acts are on from mid afternoon. 

Suspected as much, thanks. May be one where mini B stays with grandparents! 

Has anyone heard where Maiden Voyage is likely do be? At first look I thought the line up wasn't that exciting but actually I think there's some good stuff on there now I've had another look (and also gave myself a talking to because by the time i've got a beer in hand with a bunch of mates nothing else is going to matter). Also completely agree with everyone on here that a day festival at the end of august is probably the best bet right now! 

12 hours ago, Memory Man said:

When you say 18-30, do you just mean the age group or are you saying it is has that 18-30 vibe? I'm quite keen on it from what I can see but I don't want to go to some version of Magaluf!

What i've been doing is just booking loads of fests, in the hope that at least one happens this year, and for the ones that don't: at least I know I'll have next year sorted then. Plus i'm so low on happiness chemicals that it's nice to get a little boost from buying tickets. Like with Shambala... I'm 50/50 on whether it'll happen this august, but it still feels nice to have bought a ticket.

Just wish I had a more financially responsible way to be happy 😞

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I'm looking at 2 options for myself, Mrs B and mini B, both the same weekend.

Shambala 
Pros: lots for kids, visually good, probably decent lineup, fairly big.
Cons: More expensive, far from me, no lineup yet. 

Watchet
Pros: Very near me, cheap.
Cons: Not a great line up, early finish.

Any helpful input anyone? 

Can't comment on those 2, but if you're after a child-friendly fest in that neck of the woods you've also got (if it goes ahead) Beautiful Days at Escot Park. Would probably be on that weekend as well. I'm not a parent but I've seen them get mentioned pretty consistently towards the top of the tree for family friendly fests.

https://www.festivalkidz.com/festivals/beautiful-days/

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

When you say 18-30, do you just mean the age group or are you saying it is has that 18-30 vibe? I'm quite keen on it from what I can see but I don't want to go to some version of Magaluf!

No thats the age range of people that go. As everywhere theres some idiots and some lovely people! It is a dance music festival in the main and therefore attracts that kind of crowd. If you can afford it the banquets/feasts are absolutely amazing. I didnt have a great experience in the standard campsite but the boutique was a lot more chill as you’d expect.

Edited by Memory Man

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Can't comment on those 2, but if you're after a child-friendly fest in that neck of the woods you've also got (if it goes ahead) Beautiful Days at Escot Park. Would probably be on that weekend as well. I'm not a parent but I've seen them get mentioned pretty consistently towards the top of the tree for family friendly fests.

https://www.festivalkidz.com/festivals/beautiful-days/

Yep, that is another option I’d forgotten about. It’s the weekend before but that still works fine for us. No lineup or announcement as to whether it’s happening yet. 
have you been?