I am going to .............. festival instead.

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

I don't think it's the camping that would be the thing to stop festivals is it, it would be the capacity?  You're far more likely to be mixing closely with people at the stages than in the campsites after all.

Is there any rumours on headliners yet? Seen that Placebo are confirmed and looking to keep most of last years which would be Primal and Patti Smith or FLips?

18 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Is there any rumours on headliners yet? Seen that Placebo are confirmed and looking to keep most of last years which would be Primal and Patti Smith or FLips?

I think the consensus has been that Placebo are replacing Flaming Lips.

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

Ah thanks so Patti, Primal and Placebo?

Only Placebo are confirmed, Patti is pencilled in dependant on how things go plus a large quantity of the 2020 announced line up. More of which will be released in April if its going ahead in September.

Placebo also confirmed to play May 2022 if it doesnt operate in September. 

2 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Just the Friday, and those places rolled over too but there may be some cancellation spots to come up later on.

MS DVB got an email from Bearded Theory a few days ago asking if we still wanted our place for our son in the school tent rolled over to September, naturally we said yes. The issue will be getting permission from sons school after he has missed so much schooling since March.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

OK so I now kind of have my heart set of Bearded Theory after watching a few videos and vlogs. My main worry is I will be 'bored' with the small size of it over 3 nights compared to what I am used to which is effectively only Sziget and Glastonbury in recent years (and V/T when younger).

I went in 2019 and I thought it was a great little festival. It is small, but with a 4 year old in tow it took long enough to get anywhere and there was enough going and for me  it had the festival vibe which meant I enjoyed it and booked again for last year (carried over). 

As its smaller I found I spent more time at each area (Woodland stage was a particular highlight) than I might normally do at Glastonbury. It does depend on what you like to get out of festivals though. If you like to roam the site looking for new stuff, you might get bored.

Major plus,  whilst there I managed not to compare it to Glastonbury, which is a achievement for me. 

Got a ticket for Primavera but that looks as though it's moving to September and if that is the case, I'm gonna have to bail as it's the same time as my twice postponed trip to Singapore and Japan (hopefully). So that festival is out of the window 🙄

My only other festival booking is Monegros in Spain on 31 July but that's a 24 hour 45,000 capacity event in the middle of the desert so who knows? 

I can't see me committing my cash to anything else until at least May time. I'll see how the situation is then cos getting refunds from organisations last year was a massive ball ache.

OK so I now kind of have my heart set of Bearded Theory after watching a few videos and vlogs. My main worry is I will be 'bored' with the small size of it over 3 nights compared to what I am used to which is effectively only Sziget and Glastonbury in recent years (and V/T when younger).

I love Glastonbury & Sziget but there is a definite appeal in a smaller festival where you can nip between stages easily and also easily get close up to even the biggest acts on the bill.

Went to Beautiful Days last year which is I think a similar kind of festival to Bearded Theory & as a long time Glastonbury goer I absolutely loved it. I’m definitely trying for BT this year, but it’s going to be tough to get either a ticket or a volunteering spot as it filled quickly last year and most of those will still be going this year.

I have been to Beardy a few times and i enjoy more every-time.

I always think it is run by old punks ( thats a compliment ) so the line up is more mature to reflect that.  The dance tent is more The Orb than whatever dance is hip 2021 And i think they have a 2 or 3am curfew for the tents.

The beer tents are excellent and cheaper than a lot of pubs and you can take your own in , within reason.

There are a enough stages to keep you interested , but i would take a look at previous line ups and see if you would be happy with a weekend of it.

3 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Hmmm OK bearded theory looks a goer? Main, and strange, thing is that it is a family festival yet it is the weekend AFTER school holidays end?!

They are only doing it then because of covid but I think that Bearded has a ‘school’ onsite which you can apply for which enables you to make a credible application to the children’s own school i.e. that you are not taking them out of education/the school can mark them present because they have been ‘in school’......or something.

3 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Anyone been to Boomtown? Good for kids at all? Seen they have a kids area.

Just not sure on this not knowing line up idea, previous line ups look OK but there is that risk it won't be great and wife will only go people she generally 'knows'.......

I went to Boomtown in 2018 and I couldn’t imagine why anyone went there with kids BUT google ‘Boomtown kids’ or Boomtown families’ and read a few blogs - it turns out that kids have an amazing time there, & as long as parents are sensible enough to avoid downtown at night (which doesn’t let kids in at night anyway) I can see how kids would find it spectacular fun.

4 hours ago, Havors said:

Im going to try sign up to 3 with Oxfam. Latitude, Boardmasters & Shambala. Im hopeful the ones in August will go ahead... maybe Latitude end of July. Fingers crossed. 

That’s the spirit! Me too (hopefully)

25 minutes ago, amfy said:

I love Glastonbury & Sziget but there is a definite appeal in a smaller festival where you can nip between stages easily and also easily get close up to even the biggest acts on the bill.

Went to Beautiful Days last year which is I think a similar kind of festival to Bearded Theory & as a long time Glastonbury goer I absolutely loved it. I’m definitely trying for BT this year, but it’s going to be tough to get either a ticket or a volunteering spot as it filled quickly last year and most of those will still be going this year.

Its not sold out though.

1 hour ago, ivan said:

Possibly. - Adventure Bike Rider in Warwickshire , same weekend as Glasto would have been.

Get to ride bikes , then beer tent and bands !

That's a good shout. A mate sent me a link to see if I was interested it a while back, to which I replied looks great but its Glastonbury weekend. I guess not now.

Its not sold out though.

That’s interesting because it sold out fairly quickly last year and tickets roll over. Oxfam volunteer places went as quickly as Glastonbury. I’d still say not to hang about if you want to go.

2 hours ago, ivan said:

I have been to Beardy a few times and i enjoy more every-time.

I always think it is run by old punks ( thats a compliment ) so the line up is more mature to reflect that.  The dance tent is more The Orb than whatever dance is hip 2021 And i think they have a 2 or 3am curfew for the tents.

The beer tents are excellent and cheaper than a lot of pubs and you can take your own in , within reason.

There are a enough stages to keep you interested , but i would take a look at previous line ups and see if you would be happy with a weekend of it.

I would add that the Mau Wai tent is absolutely fantastid.  No one you've heard of but all excellent!  I could spend all weekend there.

13 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

May go to Beardy Folk which is scheduled for same weekend as Glasto would have been.  Folk isn't really my thing but it's local, my friend is going, it serves Hobsons beer and they actually managed to run it last September and it was sooooo good to be at a festival.  Being so tiny it was so easy and relaxing too.  Two alternating stages, no stress over who to see!

a good choice because Beady Folk is one of the very few festivals that'll definitely be going ahead

Victorious Festival on August Bank Holiday if it goes ahead.  

At the moment I’m just hoping that something goes ahead.  It’s all just getting very very meh....  

Hope everyone is doing ok as I know it’s becoming an even worse struggle.  The previous lockdowns and cancellations of things have been taken in my stride, now I just feel defeated and I’m in quite a lucky position.  If anyone is struggling and just needs a chat my messages are always open.  

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'd love Bluedot to be on, great festival that is fairly local to me, great line up, and some sciencey stuff to pretend to be interested in for one weekend. But, it probably won't be. Failing that, GreenMan. But, can't see that being on either. Maybe one day things will be on later in the year...New Order in Heaton Pk?

I'm thinking along very similar lines. Have been to Blue Dot once and loved it, and was already thinking of getting tickets for that last year before Covid fucked everything as line-up is great. But it just feels a bit early in the season now that Glastonbury has cancelled...

Now thinking Supernormal if on (teeny tiny and in August), maybe Green Man (been before and loved it), End of the Road, Shambala or Bearded Theory. But at the moment I just don't feel that confident to book anything. Not that it's a major risk as I'm sure everywhere will roll over or offer refunds - unless they go bust of course! I feel like I'd feel more comfortable with something smaller as can't pretend a year or more of social distancing hasn't been made me feel a bit wary about crowds and being packed in like sardines.

Failing all that, I think the New Order thing looks a great shout and there's always APE.

I'm so torn at the moment because I would normally have stuff to look forward to in this vein for summer, and I feel like I really need that right now, but at the same time the idea of being at a festival just feels a world away. But then maybe it always does a bit at this time of year given the weather etc.

Interested why you feel sure Green Man will be off @steviewevie? In August I'm quite hopeful... with all the usual caveats.