I am going to .............. festival instead.

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Its a hard question, but how do Bearded Theory and Shambala compare (demographic, size, vibe etc)? 

Shambala has been on the like to try for a while.

I’ve not been to either last year was going to be the first time. 

bearded is around 10k in size as is Shambala I think slightly different target markets but both have a loyal following. 

• Like 1

I always had Kendal Calling in mind but realistically even end of July we won't be having camping festivals. 

Neighbourhood Weekender is very local and is a day festival so if it happens I'll be going - zero chance for May but maybe with a move to September like they attempted last year we might get lucky. still not very confident of any gatherings to be honest

The most likely answer to the question is wherever the closest equivalent to the Virgin Money Arena from last year appears if they roll it out round the country...if they are even allowed with this new variant

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

Hmmm OK bearded theory looks a goer? Main, and strange, thing is that it is a family festival yet it is the weekend AFTER school holidays end?!

Normally it's late May Bank Holiday weekend, but obviously can't operate then this year so it's been pushed back to that weekend in September.

August was ruled out as the site is used for most of the month by Bloodstock, and any earlier was too risky to go for.
If September can't run, then it will be back to May 2022.

Just now, dotdash79 said:

They have a school for the Thursday \ Friday. 

Just the Friday, and those places rolled over too but there may be some cancellation spots to come up later on.

58 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Anyone been to Boomtown? Good for kids at all? Seen they have a kids area.

Just not sure on this not knowing line up idea, previous line ups look OK but there is that risk it won't be great and wife will only go people she generally 'knows'.......

Boomtown and kids......

there is a large kids town at the top which is great but limited.  The rest of the festival is "interesting" for youngsters. if it is the usual size and standard there is nothing like it as a spectacle, the setup is second to none. But it can get a bit ketty, the entitled 20 year old asshole count is quite high as well. Shambala is better for kids, Bearded is as well with an OFSTED school setup to avoid unauthorised absences on the Friday.

53 minutes ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Its a hard question, but how do Bearded Theory and Shambala compare (demographic, size, vibe etc)? 

Shambala has been on the like to try for a while.

beared theory - beer festival, bands, dance tent etc.  It has everything you may want and is done really well. Good standard festival, great vibe and punters.

Shambala - Bit more "Bristol", wide range of everything from bands, performance, puppet shows, talks, peotry, classes, craft area and more.  Check the website and you will see what I mean.  This year they are still hoping to run, confirmed today that tickets (what there are) are on sale 1 Feb.  If you want any, be quick. I go every year, it is great. Very wide demographic and about 10K, many punters who go every year. Great for families and busier than Bearded, more stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Anyone been to Boomtown? Good for kids at all? Seen they have a kids area.

Just not sure on this not knowing line up idea, previous line ups look OK but there is that risk it won't be great and wife will only go people she generally 'knows'.......

Boomtown had a whole area dedicated to children, at the top of a hill away from the main stages. That was before they announced the scaling down of it for this year's *potential* festival.

If you want a child friendly festival then Deershed is worth a look - in North Yorkshire so not far to travel. Great lineup this year as well.

Only problem I can see is the date 30th July - 1st August. 

Can't really see that going ahead as we stand at the moment.

Standon Calling (same weekend as Latitude at end of July) has just put out a statement as to why they think they will be going ahead - 

https://standon-calling.com/2021/01/2021-coronavirus-statement/

In light of recent news, we want to reassure our audience, artists and staff that we continue to plan for the fifteenth edition of Standon Calling from 22-25 July 2021. The cancellation of Glastonbury 2021 is a great loss to the summer festival season and we send our condolences and best wishes to the team at this difficult time. 

For Standon Calling, as a small, independent festival, we are able to respond in an agile way to the ever-changing and hopefully improving Covid-19 situation in the UK as the vaccine rolls out and we move towards the summer. We therefore don’t anticipate encountering some of the operational issues that larger festivals and events have faced during this Covid-19 pandemic. 

As ever, the safety of everyone at Standon Calling is our top priority. We are working closely with industry professionals to accommodate any operational changes required due to Covid-19 and we will deliver the highest possible safety standards in line with government guidelines in place in July 2021. 

Of course given the current situation, we understand that there is a chance Standon Calling 2021 may not be able to go ahead as planned. However, for now we remain confident and thank you all for your support. 

Edited by Greenelk

OK so I now kind of have my heart set of Bearded Theory after watching a few videos and vlogs. My main worry is I will be 'bored' with the small size of it over 3 nights compared to what I am used to which is effectively only Sziget and Glastonbury in recent years (and V/T when younger).