Boardmasters 2021

StuMalinas

21 hours ago, StuMalinas said:

What are peoples thoughts on this going ahead, I worry for Boardmasters having to potentially cancel 3 years in a row whether they will survive 

Boardmasters is owned by a massive entertainment group backed by a US hedge fund. It should be fine. Saying that they could well make cut backs. They own the likes of Sziget, Victorious Festival, South West Four, Kendal Calling, Truck, Tramlines...

They've not put any of them events on yet though since acquiring them in 2019. 

1 hour ago, JBarbour said:

Boardmasters is owned by a massive entertainment group backed by a US hedge fund. It should be fine. Saying that they could well make cut backs. They own the likes of Sziget, Victorious Festival, South West Four, Kendal Calling, Truck, Tramlines...

They've not put any of them events on yet though since acquiring them in 2019. 

Thats really interesting to hear! didn't know that. Does this company own Y not too, I always thought Y not and Truck were linked! 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, StuMalinas said:

Thats really interesting to hear! didn't know that. Does this company own Y not too, I always thought Y not and Truck were linked! 

No - they were all owned by the same group (Global) until a couple years ago, but when Global sold most of their festivals (including Boardmasters and Truck) to Superstruct, Y Not was left behind and ultimately ended up independent.

29 minutes ago, incident said:

No - they were all owned by the same group (Global) until a couple years ago, but when Global sold most of their festivals (including Boardmasters and Truck) to Superstruct, Y Not was left behind and ultimately ended up independent.

Did that have anything to do with y not 2017 shit show! I was there 

13 minutes ago, StuMalinas said:

Did that have anything to do with y not 2017 shit show! I was there 

No idea what the reasoning was - my guess is that any decisions taken would be based more on profitability and the perceived potential rather than the events of specific years though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

No idea what the reasoning was - my guess is that any decisions taken would be based more on profitability and the perceived potential rather than the events of specific years though.

Just feels odd that they wouldn’t take y not too but I guess business is business and they may have seen that it’s profitability had dropped as a result of the bad press of 2017 so maybe too big a risk

They announced the line up early feb last year. If we haven’t heard anything by the end of February I worry. However reading/Leeds and download both have said they’ll have more news in March so it’s nothing more than a waiting game I’m afraid 

5 hours ago, Will b said:

They announced the line up early feb last year. If we haven’t heard anything by the end of February I worry. However reading/Leeds and download both have said they’ll have more news in March so it’s nothing more than a waiting game I’m afraid 

Totally agree! Will be interesting lineup, last years was very high standard ... kings of Leon , the 1975 

On 22/01/2021 at 2:00 PM, StuMalinas said:

Yeah as above mentioned. First they were linked via Count Of Ten, then Global/Broadwick. Then Superstruct acquired most Global Festivals with Broadwick hanging on to a few like Field Day. 

YNot got left behind and eventually went indie. Its an ex Count Of Ten guy that acquired it with a loan from Global. I think it's had a few shit years that maybe contributed to it. However, I think it's more the case Kendal, Tramlines and YNot are pretty close to each other, they share a similar crowd, similar line ups and if not on the same weekend they are within a week of each other generally. They end up competing with themselves. One company doesn't need all three of them festivals. 

Out of all the festivals I'd be more worried about Y Not. They've just reduced the capacity by 10k as well, so I'd imagine the line up will drop off compared to recent years. 

I know Tramlines has carried over a lot of acts from last year but has at least one new headliner. Boardmasters had the biggest line up of any Superstruct event so it maybe completely different for them. 

Edited by JBarbour

2 hours ago, JBarbour said:

Yeah as above mentioned. First they were linked via Count Of Ten, then Global/Broadwick. Then Superstruct acquired most Global Festivals with Broadwick hanging on to a few like Field Day. 

YNot got left behind and eventually went indie. Its an ex Count Of Ten guy that acquired it with a loan from Global. I think it's had a few shit years that maybe contributed to it. However, I think it's more the case Kendal, Tramlines and YNot are pretty close to each other, they share a similar crowd, similar line ups and if not on the same weekend they are within a week of each other generally. They end up competing with themselves. One company doesn't need all three of them festivals. 

Out of all the festivals I'd be more worried about Y Not. They've just reduced the capacity by 10k as well, so I'd imagine the line up will drop off compared to recent years. 

I know Tramlines has carried over a lot of acts from last year but has at least one new headliner. Boardmasters had the biggest line up of any Superstruct event so it maybe completely different for them. 

Know anything about victorious? Still planning to go ahead? Lineup the same etc...  Thanks

10 minutes ago, sisco said:

Know anything about victorious? Still planning to go ahead? Lineup the same etc...  Thanks

No not heard much about anything this year. Everything is quiet. Imagine it's tough for organisers to plan much when it's unlikely events can take place. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 6:23 PM, StuMalinas said:

Totally agree! Will be interesting lineup, last years was very high standard ... kings of Leon , the 1975 

last 2 years have been pretty good lineups: KOL, 1975, Florence and foals all have headlined major reading/Leeds or glasto before. This years will depend on the amount of money they lost from the 2 previous no shows: could go back to the days of smaller bands eg Bastille and chase and status headlining

On 2/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, Will b said:

last 2 years have been pretty good lineups: KOL, 1975, Florence and foals all have headlined major reading/Leeds or glasto before. This years will depend on the amount of money they lost from the 2 previous no shows: could go back to the days of smaller bands eg Bastille and chase and status headlining

They'll have to maintain the standard of the festival due to the demand of the UK industry. Currently if this goes ahead which is a 50/50 currently among organisers then others will and the current demand for festivals by the youth population is ridiculous so this year they'll be maintaining the standard. From looking at the last 2 lineups there's a very easy pattern for example Hip hop/rap on the Friday with Wu-tang clan and skepta, then on Saturday there's the classic band slot such as Florence in 2019 and Kings Of Leon in 20, and on Sunday I believe this is a fairly new-indie slot hence Foals and 1975. It's also interesting s over the last two years the festival has embraced 2 headliners from America being Wu-tang and KOL. So it will be very interesting to see where this goes: Currently I can see these headliners along with these acts being featured; 

AJ Tracey // The Wombats // Mura Masa 

Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Loyal Carner // IDLES

Harry Styles // Vampire Weekend // Slowthai 

But who knows? 

50 minutes ago, Dim Sum said:

They'll have to maintain the standard of the festival due to the demand of the UK industry. Currently if this goes ahead which is a 50/50 currently among organisers then others will and the current demand for festivals by the youth population is ridiculous so this year they'll be maintaining the standard. From looking at the last 2 lineups there's a very easy pattern for example Hip hop/rap on the Friday with Wu-tang clan and skepta, then on Saturday there's the classic band slot such as Florence in 2019 and Kings Of Leon in 20, and on Sunday I believe this is a fairly new-indie slot hence Foals and 1975. It's also interesting s over the last two years the festival has embraced 2 headliners from America being Wu-tang and KOL. So it will be very interesting to see where this goes: Currently I can see these headliners along with these acts being featured; 

AJ Tracey // The Wombats // Mura Masa 

Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Loyal Carner // IDLES

Harry Styles // Vampire Weekend // Slowthai 

But who knows? 

You won't get RHCP playing Boardmasters.

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

Stormzy/ The Streets/ Idles

Pendulum/ Enter Shikari/ Hybrid Minds

Royal Blood/ Slowthai/ The Cribs

Others: Neck Deep, High Contrast, Penghusi, Amelie Lens

The Cribs as high as Idles? I mean I like The Cribs way more, as in Idles do nothing for me but they will play much higher.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Samjones said:

Whoever has been before, what time do like dj sets go on into the night? Thank you

about 1am for the DJ sets and normal music at about 11pm

or at least that’s how it was in 2018 and I don’t see any reason for them to change that up

• Upvote 1

Looking likely Boardmasters will go ahead, assuming all goes to plan with the vaccine. Time for a prediction (more of a blind guess), I reckon the line up will have nearly all UK based acts for logistical reasons (potential travel issues with Covid). I'm going for:

Main

Friday                                                           Saturday                                                        Sunday

Lewis Capaldi                                                      Dave                                                            Gorillaz

The Libertines                                                    Mabel                                                         Metronomy

Land of Saints

Wolf Alice                                                         Sam Fender                                                 Craig David

Bought tickets this evening, seems that they are running very low - 5 day tickets briefly sold out but more are now in stock.

Gorillaz/Pendulum/Foals would be great, maybe swap Foals or Gorillaz for Skepta perhaps