Jump to content

Glastonbury 21 cancelled


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that was obviously going to happen. Im quite bewildered people here are so surprised and gutted. Is there no other meaning to your lives? Might be time to find some. 

I think you ought to watch your language.  To the rest of you- welcome to the real world. The world where there is a pandemic and over 100,000 people were never, ever going to allowed to camp on

Unlikely. I for one (and i know a thing or two about how festivals are run) am doubtful it will even happen in 2022, and furthermore the licensing conditions if it does go ahead will be far, far more

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

You could easily do a "British acts only" festival. There are literally thousands of acts in this country who would be willing / desperate to do it!

Saying it couldn’t work with just British acts is a bit like saying you couldn’t make it work with an all British crowd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Interview with Michael Eavis now on LBC, says he’s considering doing something in September to coincide with the anniversary.

A Pilton Party style affair with one stage and maybe even those socially distanced platform things we saw last summer might be doable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Interview with Michael Eavis now on LBC, says he’s considering doing something in September to coincide with the anniversary.

Maybe a TV event with a small socially-distanced crowd to raise funds and pay this year's bills?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I'd love to see it I found the TV coverage (albeit brief!) quite bittersweet viewing. 

3 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Maybe a TV event with a small socially-distanced crowd to raise funds and pay this year's bills?

Happily support something if it kept glasto going (and guaranteed me a ticket!! 😁)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

If it’s any consolation... The writing is on the wall for every event this summer. Don’t listen to Melvin Benn going on that August festivals are all fine and dandy. If glasto is down every other U.K. festival is down too. They just don’t want to admit it yet. 

How is that any consolation?? I swear to god matty lad, you really need to stop dealing in absolutes 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

A Pilton Party style affair with one stage and maybe even those socially distanced platform things we saw last summer might be doable.

Agreed I said a similar thing back in Dec on the ‘will it go ahead thread’ and got shot down. But I  still say that there’s a good chance something like this will happen . 

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bad Man MC said:

I have done more work in the last 10 years to get festivals off the ground and licensed than probably everyone on this website put together. I have many personal friends who have gone bankrupt and lost their livelihoods over the last year, and others who have been ill with Covid-19. Yet the general consensus of this forum is only one of "oh shit, i cant go rampaging around a farmers field this summer" as if it is their absolute human right.

I get what you're saying but I need to dial it back a bit. You're not wrong, far from it, but it's better to be engaging than confrontational. It's not just the what people need to know but the why. We only need to look at Éire. They were flatlining in terms of infection, had one jolly Crimbo, and now it's everywhere. The graph of the C19 infection when up not as a curve but as a vertical wall.

I've worked at festivals, not as much at you but some. I have friends whose livelihoods are festivals. I enjoy the heck out of them. I'll miss them dearly and I don't blame others for missing them dearly... but the era of them is over for the foreseeable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, viberunner said:

It's not just the what people need to know but the why.

like ... why have you ignored the existence of vaccines, which change everything?

It's almost like you're doing the same as many other people here of any and all views, and believing your prejudices are fact. 😛 

Edited by eFestivals
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FrankieX said:

Maybe a TV event with a small socially-distanced crowd to raise funds and pay this year's bills?

Bit concerned of their financial position. Two years forced fallow years and while expenses are reduced this year, the combination of last years must of had some effect. 

 

I know not everyone is in the same financial position but I would be happy to kick in more for a ticket. Maybe they could do a special edition ticket where you paid more money and got T-shirt, reusable cup extra as a one time thing to just raise extra funds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

There’s a chance I could grow wings tomorrow. Albeit low.

Whilst I understand this argument you’ve got to look at where the scales are tipping in probabilities.

There’s no chance you will grow wings tomorrow. It’s never happened in the history of the human race.  We have got over pandemics before though and I’ve still got a lot of faith in the speedy roll out of the vaccines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Havors said:

Should be fine, but you dont really need to change it to be honest. The tickets will just go to the address of the lead booker... 

That's not right is it? When you pay your balance you put a delivery address in and they go to whatever address you put in then I think? Pretty sure, I've moved between deposit and payment date before.

 

46 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Bit concerned of their financial position. Two years forced fallow years and while expenses are reduced this year, the combination of last years must of had some effect. 

Furlough will have helped out a lot though- which isn't normally an option for fallow years. 

17 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s a morbid thought but there is a lot of money in death. It’s a thriving economy and someone is making a lot of money out of people dying. 

Bloody florists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's not right is it? When you pay your balance you put a delivery address in and they go to whatever address you put in then I think? Pretty sure, I've moved between deposit and payment date before.

I moved in early 2017 and updated the delivery address when I paid my balance in the April for that years festival. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

like ... why have you ignored the existence of vaccines, which change everything?

It's almost like you're doing the same as many other people here of any and all views, and believing your prejudices are fact. 😛 

Vaccines have a tremendous potential to lead the way out of the pandemic but right now no one knows if they will be the magic pill. For instance, will vaccinated people acquire and transmit SARS-CoV-19 without becoming ill?  And what will be their mass use efficacy? These are unknowns to be determined. That's why all the experts are advocating masks & social distancing to remain for the foreseeable future. Without hard evidence it's difficult to advise otherwise.  Projections cannot be based on best guesses. Unfortunately businesses, GFL included, cannot function with too many uncertainties, viz: will vaccination control covid in the UK? protecting unvaccinated staff/workers/volunteers/stall holders/attendees, international acts & attendees, will bands want to play? international travel? social distancing? masks? rapid testing? etc etc etc

Unfortunately for GFL too little time remained for the covid fog to begin lift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Vaccines have a tremendous potential to lead the way out of the pandemic but right now no one knows if they will be the magic pill.

Oh, absolutely.

But at the same time, to pretend nothing is different from around xmas in Ireland so nothing is going to change is denialism.

Even if vaccines end up our worst nightmare things have changed - because we'll know things will never (soon) change.

But it's very unlikely that vaccines will end up our worst nightmare. All of the data so far is very good, and it looks like the worst outcome in the long term will be similar-ish to flu and with a yearly jab for some people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Oh, absolutely.

But at the same time, to pretend nothing is different from around xmas in Ireland so nothing is going to change is denialism.

Even if vaccines end up our worst nightmare things have changed - because we'll know things will never (soon) change.

But it's very unlikely that vaccines will end up our worst nightmare. All of the data so far is very good, and it looks like the worst outcome in the long term will be similar-ish to flu and with a yearly jab for some people.

I have every optimism we will get out of this sooner rather than later. The problem is how much it will the pandemic chance the world we had? In the forthcoming new normal how many will return to their old habits and will the new generation have lost the urge to replace them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The problem is how much it will the pandemic chance the world we had?

Personally, I think the biggest change is going to be countries realising that things need to be more local and less globalised.

Oddly enough, part of the Trump & Brexit agendas - which is pretty scary. But thankfully for different reasons.

 

7 minutes ago, Lycra said:

In the forthcoming new normal how many will return to their old habits and will the new generation have lost the urge to replace them?

Things are changing all the time anyhow.

How much they've changed is pointed out to me every day, when I log on here and see there's a "getting fit" topic and not a "getting wasted" topic. 😛 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

How much they've changed is pointed out to me every day, when I log on here and see there's a "getting fit" topic and not a "getting wasted" topic.

The getting fit topic exists so we can be in prime condition for our bodies to handle getting wasted. 
 

Building up alcohol tolerance pre festival season is also important. As well as having to remaster the art of drinking cans of cider while walking. 
 

By the time the festival comes around we should all be able to drink 1 can per mile walked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The getting fit topic exists so we can be in prime condition for our bodies to handle getting wasted. 

the point is tho, when I started going to festivals something like that just wouldn't have been in anyone's head. It just wouldn't. The types who 'got fit' wouldn't be the types to go to Glastonbury.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...