Glastonbury 21 cancelled

Leyrulion

On 1/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, Euphoricape said:

I have tickets for idles at Eden project in early July, seems like 0 percent chance of gigs now until late summer if at all this year..

On 1/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, Skelts said:

Me too.  I'm cautiously optimistic though

Same here. Hopeful one off gigs in large venues like this can go ahead in some form. 

On 1/21/2021 at 2:09 PM, circus92 said:

When I secured tickets in 2019 my son was 8 so gets a free ticket.  When we go next year he will be 11.  If it doesn't happen next year I will  have to pay for a ticket as he will be 12 by 2023!!    But it will happen next year 🤞😃

Did they not say those who turn 12 between June 2020 and the next festival can still have free entry with proof of DOB? 
or was it that you would need to pay but they’d be allowed a ticket? 

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

Vaccines absolutely do not change everything, they help but they are absolutely not the cure. Covid will be with us for years to come. 

I didn't claim they were "the cure".

I'm claiming vaccines as the *only* possible exit strategy, which will cause lives to go back to normal. The world is not going to live with restrictions for eternity same as we don't for all of the other lethal stuff going around.

The only question within that is when things go back to normal.

16 hours ago, Bad Man MC said:

I wonder how many would give up their tickets to NHS staff or key workers to let them have a weekend to let their hair down after the horrors they have had to work through in the last year. Probably very, very few. 

Would depend on the line up tbh. 

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

put on mod yesterday.

I let that one thru cos he thought he was making you look foolish while being that dickhead himself. 🙂 

It’s bizarre behaviour to come here and act a twat. Even more bizarre to keep coming back under different names.

I’m sure he revels in the attention he gets but what’s the point in attention if everyone thinks you’re a c**t?

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s bizarre behaviour to come here and act a twat. Even more bizarre to keep coming back under different names.

I’m sure he revels in the attention he gets but what’s the point in attention if everyone thinks you’re a c**t?

I just can't get inside the mentality of it. Imagine expending all that precious time and energy anonymously provoking complete strangers over the internet? To what end? Is it a means to compensate for loneliness? Is there a sense of achievement by evoking a response? Maybe the reasoning is, someone thinks I'm a c**t but at least my existence is finally being acknowledged? There always seems to be a sad story behind such behaviour I'd honesty love to try and understand the psychology of it. It intrigues me. 

45 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I just can't get inside the mentality of it. Imagine expending all that precious time and energy anonymously provoking complete strangers over the internet? To what end? Is it a means to compensate for loneliness? Is there a sense of achievement by evoking a response? Maybe the reasoning is, someone thinks I'm a c**t but at least my existence is finally being acknowledged? There always seems to be a sad story behind such behaviour I'd honesty love to try and understand the psychology of it. It intrigues me. 

I imagine he thinks “look at those saddos talking about a festival all year round... I’ll show them!” but without the intelligence or self-awareness to realise that there’s nothing sadder than trolling a festival forum.

54 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Not been reading this thread, but generally there seems to be a passive/aggressive defence mechanism to most of them. If someone takes the bait 'I'm winning here'; if someone calls you out 'I was only joking, lighten up'. Tedious, brainless and cowardly. Also agree that this is a weird place for it. I haven't posted on any other forum for years; only come on this one as everyone is (usually) very nice.

Just now, Homer said:

Not been reading this thread, but generally there seems to be a passive/aggressive defence mechanism to most of them. If someone takes the bait 'I'm winning here'; if someone calls you out 'I was only joking, lighten up'. Tedious, brainless and cowardly. Also agree that this is a weird place for it. I haven't posted on any other forum for years; only come on this one as everyone is (usually) very nice.

So true. There was another forum I frequented sporadically from... about 2008? Over 12 years I never felt as welcome and part of the conversation there as I have here in the last year and a half.

Yay efests.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:14 AM, eFestivals said:

like ... why have you ignored the existence of vaccines, which change everything?

I haven't and don't. We do not yet have a vaccine that HAS changed everything we have a range of vaccines that MIGHT change everything.

My position is this:

• (1a) the vaccines prove to be effective and we all get back to normal by 2022
  • (1b) the vaccines prove not to be as effective due to viral mutation and 2022 is cancelled
  • (2) nobody, not you not I, nobody here, know if the future will be (1a) or if it will be (1b)

You and I might wish for (1a) but neither of us are in a position to guarantee that.

So I won't ignore the fact that vaccines might change everything, but the quid-pro-quo is you and other need to ready yourself that the vaccines might not change everything, especially as we have a full year of viral mutations head of us.

1 hour ago, viberunner said:

I haven't and don't. We do not yet have a vaccine that HAS changed everything we have a range of vaccines that MIGHT change everything.

My position is this:

• (1a) the vaccines prove to be effective and we all get back to normal by 2022
  • (1b) the vaccines prove not to be as effective due to viral mutation and 2022 is cancelled
  • (2) nobody, not you not I, nobody here, know if the future will be (1a) or if it will be (1b)

You and I might wish for (1a) but neither of us are in a position to guarantee that.

So I won't ignore the fact that vaccines might change everything, but the quid-pro-quo is you and other need to ready yourself that the vaccines might not change everything, especially as we have a full year of viral mutations head of us.

Everything does point to 1a though.

There’s been a spot of trolling, and understandable reaction to it, on this thread. It’s very sad to see anywhere, but particularly upsetting for me to see it on a Glastonbury forum. I would like to appeal to those doing the trolling to stop, but I may be tilting at windmills there. Seems that @eFestivals is taking action as and where appropriate. I know when we, or Glastonbury, are attacked, it’s an automatic reaction to respond in kind, or defensively. I suspect mental health may be partly to blame here though, which is a subject very close to my heart. We need to be kind to each other, especially now, and especially here. Let’s all try to be more Glastonbury, and think of the well being of others.... even trolls.... before replying. Here’s an extract from a Psychology paper on the subject....

While we don’t tend to empathize with perpetrators, and I doubt bringing up loneliness in an internet altercation would be a constructive move, realizing that people who troll may be feeling isolated could be a first step to distancing oneself from the trolling in order to blunt the impact.

While trolls—to use a dehumanizing term—may be more likely to be manipulative, sadistic, and psychopathic, they may also be suffering, feeling lonely and isolated with no clear socially acceptable outlets. Approaching such people with the intention to offer support and connection is, at best, likely to go nowhere… and more troubling, may lead to harm to the would-be helper and ultimately greater isolation for the person trolling.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, Dusk1983 said:

I’ve said similar before and the answer is no. People are already living for 2022. Literally wishing years away for 5 days at a festival. It’s insane on here.

While I don't think many people on here do that, so many people live their lives that way. For many on low wages, it's work your arse off for 50 weeks and get that two week summer holiday to look forward to, then repeat. I'm sure some on here feel that way about Glastonbury too.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

if you think we'll be waiting around for any other vaccines, I've got a bridge for sale.

It depends - any new vaccine would likely just be a small modification of an existing one to tackle a new strain, developed swiftly. Where I tend to agree is that we wouldn't be "waiting around for it" we'd just roll it out with extremely limited testing. But I can see us waiting around during the manufacturing and roll out to vulnerable people again.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It depends - any new vaccine would likely just be a small modification of an existing one to tackle a new strain, developed swiftly. Where I tend to agree is that we wouldn't be "waiting around for it" we'd just roll it out with extremely limited testing. But I can see us waiting around during the manufacturing and roll out to vulnerable people again.

the point I was making was that this country and every other country is going to be opening up once the current vaccines have been rolled out. If they turn out to have limited effect we'll be sucking that up.

Just now, eFestivals said:

the point I was making was that this country and every other country is going to be opening up once the current vaccines have been rolled out. If they turn out to have limited effect we'll be sucking that up.

Oh yeah, if nothing else changes I agree. But if they have a limited effect because a new strain is essentially resistant to the vaccines we have, I think we'd hold on for a modified version

19 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

There’s been a spot of trolling, and understandable reaction to it, on this thread. It’s very sad to see anywhere, but particularly upsetting for me to see it on a Glastonbury forum. I would like to appeal to those doing the trolling to stop, but I may be tilting at windmills there. Seems that @eFestivals is taking action as and where appropriate. I know when we, or Glastonbury, are attacked, it’s an automatic reaction to respond in kind, or defensively. I suspect mental health may be partly to blame here though, which is a subject very close to my heart. We need to be kind to each other, especially now, and especially here. Let’s all try to be more Glastonbury, and think of the well being of others.... even trolls.... before replying. Here’s an extract from a Psychology paper on the subject....

While we don’t tend to empathize with perpetrators, and I doubt bringing up loneliness in an internet altercation would be a constructive move, realizing that people who troll may be feeling isolated could be a first step to distancing oneself from the trolling in order to blunt the impact.

While trolls—to use a dehumanizing term—may be more likely to be manipulative, sadistic, and psychopathic, they may also be suffering, feeling lonely and isolated with no clear socially acceptable outlets. Approaching such people with the intention to offer support and connection is, at best, likely to go nowhere… and more troubling, may lead to harm to the would-be helper and ultimately greater isolation for the person trolling.

I get what you’re saying TOS, but if you look at this individual’s previous attempts, how he seems to always turn up after certain events (cancellations, T-Days, boasting about sneaking in) and his style of posting - deliberately inflammatory to get an angry response... in this case I don’t think there is any mental health issue. I think it’s just someone who enjoys winding people up on the internet.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Oh yeah, if nothing else changes I agree. But if they have a limited effect because a new strain is essentially resistant to the vaccines we have, I think we'd hold on for a modified version

I don't.

We simply cannot afford to go on as we have endlessly, and if we have to go round vaccination again because of virus mutation it's pretty likely we'd have to go round again endlessly (as we do with flu).

So the decision to break that loop will be made after the first vaccines, I'm pretty sure.

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

While trolls—to use a dehumanizing term—

As an aside, many metaphors technically dehumanise ("may I compare thee to a summer's day") but we should note the trolling metaphor comes from fishing, also known as trawling, where bait is thrown behind the trawlers and lots of gulls arrive and squawk around. To troll was to post bait in a forum ("Forest Gump deserved the Oscar more than Pulp Fiction") and wait for people to fly in and flap about the place noisily. It had nothing to do with the beasts from Scandinavian folklore.

• Like 1