Glastonbury 21 cancelled

Leyrulion

Guys....

Please stop feeding the troll. Every reply, be it angry, sarcastic or pitying is just encouragement to someone who craves a reaction. Do not incentivise this behaviour no matter how tempting.

We will probably all be fine, but trolls who enjoy themselves here can take their behaviour elsewhere and really inflict some suffering; forums full of people with serious problems or mental health issues.

the best thing to do is just ignore it.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Guys....

Please stop feeding the troll. Every reply, be it angry, sarcastic or pitying is just encouragement to someone who craves a reaction. Do not incentivise this behaviour no matter how tempting.

We will probably all be fine, but trolls who enjoy themselves here can take their behaviour elsewhere and really inflict some suffering; forums full of people with serious problems or mental health issues.

the best thing to do is just ignore it.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Man MC said:

Im not surprised you got abuse, having only joined this forum yesterday due to research for a report i have been commissioned to produce (as an EU and UK festival consultant, mostly on the visa issues as a consequence of Brexit), it seems hostile vitriol comes naturally to many posters on here. 

I have done more work in the last 10 years to get festivals off the ground and licensed than probably everyone on this website put together. I have many personal friends who have gone bankrupt and lost their livelihoods over the last year, and others who have been ill with Covid-19. Yet the general consensus of this forum is only one of "oh shit, i cant go rampaging around a farmers field this summer" as if it is their absolute human right. What shallow, obnoxious entitlement. No wonder many publications and media outlets have contacted me over the years waving a tasty carrot in front of my face to dish some dirt on the running of UK music festivals. Perhaps i should direct them to this website to give them all the ammunition they need for what they would gladly describe as the 'woke generation'.

The 'woke generation'? Do you know how old the majority of the posters on here are?

(No offence guys!)

55 minutes ago, Bad Man MC said:

Im not surprised you got abuse, having only joined this forum yesterday due to research for a report i have been commissioned to produce (as an EU and UK festival consultant, mostly on the visa issues as a consequence of Brexit), it seems hostile vitriol comes naturally to many posters on here. 

I have done more work in the last 10 years to get festivals off the ground and licensed than probably everyone on this website put together. I have many personal friends who have gone bankrupt and lost their livelihoods over the last year, and others who have been ill with Covid-19. Yet the general consensus of this forum is only one of "oh shit, i cant go rampaging around a farmers field this summer" as if it is their absolute human right. What shallow, obnoxious entitlement. No wonder many publications and media outlets have contacted me over the years waving a tasty carrot in front of my face to dish some dirt on the running of UK music festivals. Perhaps i should direct them to this website to give them all the ammunition they need for what they would gladly describe as the 'woke generation'.

My mate has done some security guard jobs ie supermarkets, went on a Bear Grylls type weekend and reads war books.

He now advertises himself as a Military/ Security Consultant .

I will get him to dish the dirt on MI5 , GCHQ and Tesco’s Barnsley 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If you’re immediate thought after this is to spend money on a festival later in the summer I’d honestly urge you to save your money. 

If your immediate thought when someone is trying to cope with the cancellation of Glastonbury is to piss on their chips, I'd honestly urge you not to.

Plus, if the late summer festivals are cancelled, the refunds or carry overs are generally the order of the day, so nobody is going to be saving money if they don't go for a festival - unless the festival happens, in which case it's all good, surely?

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Gutting but it hasn't hit me half as much as it did last year. Completely expected it, as sad as it is. Last year I think was still in the 'it'll blow over' stage of thinking.

The only positive I can take is, with vaccinations being rolled out, there should be nothing to stop it coming back in 2022 with a bang, and it will be the best party I've ever been to.

These are grim days, really feel for Michael & Emily.

I think I grieved for this year's festival in December, as soon as cases starting bouncing back aggressively from the previous lockdown and it became clear just how unlikely it would be to get us all vaccinated rapidly.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I think I grieved for this year's festival in December, as soon as cases starting bouncing back aggressively from the previous lockdown and it became clear just how unlikely it would be to get us all vaccinated rapidly.

Once Macca said he thought it was cancelled - and if it wasn't it would be a 'superspreader' - it seemed like end days.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Once Macca said he thought it was cancelled - and if it wasn't it would be a 'superspreader' - it seemed like end days.

Yeah, I think I still had some hope before he said he thought it was cancelled, but after that, it was over in my head.

He was booked as the main headliner last year. He would have known.

The turning point for me this year was when I heard about Emily’s insurance point. It felt like there were too many supervening factors that could just kill all progress dead. If the festival couldn’t get insurance, it wasn’t happening. If the NHS was too strained, it wasn’t happening. If no acts can tour Europe, it’s not happening.

There were too many rule out factors for me that just couldn’t be overcome in a mere few months. How would glasto even pull a lineup together if artists can’t do full tours and hop between countries? I know glasto is special but it couldn’t pull a lineup together full of artists doing one off shows having to quarantine on entry to the country. And some “British acts only” festival is a total pipe dream and a load of nonsense to anyone who sits and looks at it objectively.

I feel like there was way too much stacked against 2021, and unfortunately everything just continued to get worse 😞 yes we have a vaccine but there’s now a boat load of problems that every festival has to face now. 

If it’s any consolation... The writing is on the wall for every event this summer. Don’t listen to Melvin Benn going on that August festivals are all fine and dandy. If glasto is down every other U.K. festival is down too. They just don’t want to admit it yet. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The turning point for me this year was when I heard about Emily’s insurance point. It felt like there were too many supervening factors that could just kill all progress dead. If the festival couldn’t get insurance, it wasn’t happening. If the NHS was too strained, it wasn’t happening. If no acts can tour Europe, it’s not happening.

There were too many rule out factors for me that just couldn’t be overcome in a mere few months. How would glasto even pull a lineup together if artists can’t do full tours and hop between countries? I know glasto is special but it couldn’t pull a lineup together full of artists doing one off shows having to quarantine on entry to the country. And some “British acts only” festival is a total pipe dream and a load of nonsense to anyone who sits and looks at it objectively.

I feel like there was way too much stacked against 2021, and unfortunately everything just continued to get worse 😞 yes we have a vaccine but there’s now a boat load of problems that every festival has to face now. 

If it’s any consolation... The writing is on the wall for every event this summer. Don’t listen to Melvin Benn going on that August festivals are all fine and dandy. If glasto is down every other U.K. festival is down too. They just don’t want to admit it yet. 

Whilst I don't think it's necessarily true that if Glastonbury is down all the other festivals are down too, since Glasto has so much against it, being the largest, longest and earliest of the large festivals, but I think it this case you're probably right and it doesn't look great for the rest of the summer calendar.

Hopefully we'll get some smaller ones in September if all goes well with the vaccinations.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whilst I don't think it's necessarily true that if Glastonbury is down all the other festivals are down too, since Glasto has so much against it, being the largest, longest and earliest of the large festivals, but I think it this case you're probably right and it doesn't look great for the rest of the summer calendar.

Hopefully we'll get some smaller ones in September if all goes well with the vaccinations.

It’s not so much about Glastonbury itself but it’s more about Glastonbury seeing the writing on the wall and making the earliest decision. Other events will not be able to sidestep the issues that glasto were facing.

They might hold out for longer or have some brash hope, but reality is reality. I’m talking about all European festivals here not just the U.K. 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The NHS thing is irrelevant. It’s like the festival coming out today and cancelling because they’re worried about the current weather affecting things in June.

6 months is a long time, the NHS wasn’t under strain last June and it may well not be this June. They can’t proceed because of lack of certainty about where we’ll be in June, that’s it.

Many festivals might happen because they don’t have Glastonbury’s strength, many will have to plough on regardless because they’re doomed if they don’t and doomed if the cancel, so they’ll have no choice but to try and make it work.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s not so much about Glastonbury itself but it’s more about Glastonbury seeing the writing on the wall and making the earliest decision. Other events will not be able to sidestep the issues that glasto were facing.

They might hold out for longer or have some brash hope, but reality is reality. I’m talking about all European festivals here not just the U.K. 

I reckon August onwards could be ok. Maybe even July if the vaccinations go really well. Pre July is definitely looking dicey...

I'm not even discounting last minute pop up stuff for some places if a timetable comes forward in March for events being possible in the summer.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The NHS thing is irrelevant. It’s like the festival coming out today and cancelling because they’re worried about the current weather affecting things in June.

6 months is a long time, the NHS wasn’t under strain last June and it may well not be this June. They can’t proceed because of lack of certainty about where we’ll be in June, that’s it.

Many festivals might happen because they don’t have Glastonbury’s strength, many will have to plough on regardless because they’re doomed if they don’t and doomed if the cancel, so they’ll have no choice but to try and make it work.

Strongly disagree with you on that one. NHS staff will be all focused on COVID and won’t sign up to anything until the coast is clear. They can’t rope in private medical staff either because they are supporting the NHS.

Festivals won’t go ahead if they can’t get insurance or meet H&S standards.. regardless of whether they need the money. It’s much more expensive being sued.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Strongly disagree with you on that one. NHS staff will be all focused on COVID and won’t sign up to anything until the coast is clear. They can’t rope in private medical staff either because they are supporting the NHS.

Festivals won’t go ahead if they can’t get insurance or meet NHS standards.. regardless of whether they need the money. It’s much more expensive being sued.

How do you know what NHS staff will be doing in 6 months time?

NHS staff don’t sign up to anything, all the medical staff at Glastonbury are volunteers. They’re either available or they aren’t, but nobody can say what will he happening in 6 months time.

Last year the peak was April and by June levels were extremely low, and that’s without a vaccination programme.

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And some “British acts only” festival is a total pipe dream and a load of nonsense to anyone who sits and looks at it objectively. 

You could easily do a "British acts only" festival. There are literally thousands of acts in this country who would be willing / desperate to do it!