Glastonbury 21 cancelled

Leyrulion

7 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Being positive, we are closer to Glastonbury 2022 than Glastonbury 2019. 

Thank you!  Just love a bit of Positivity ! One of the great things about Glasto is the months spent planning and looking forward to it.  Meanwhile e fest will continue in its vital role as a self help group👍

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That’s the target. Do you think they will jab everyone and then open everything up? There’s going to be a period where the government judges the effectiveness of the vaccine.

That will be in 3 weeks times. Definitely by May. 

Smaller festivals needs less medics and stuff

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

You also have to think of the Pilton village inhabitants. If this virus was still very active  would they like thousands descending on them from The build in April through to July?  

Speaking purely from my perspective as a Piltonian....I’d like it very much indeed😀

but seriously, I think there would be some worried people, possibly rightly so. We will never know.

1 hour ago, viberunner said:

There is no chance of being able to safely host an event-of-size this summer. This was always the case. I got abuse here for pointing this out months ago. I don't like the facts but the facts don't care about my or anyone's feelings. The virus is too damaging, too transmissible, and there is no chance of full immunity in time. The cancellation of 2021 was always a 100% certainty.

As for next year? And yes at the risk of more abuse, festivals in 2022 will be dependent on whether or not significant vaccine-avoiding or vaccine-resistant strains emerge. Even now we are appearing to find what appears to be potentially several vaccine-resistant or vaccine-avoiding strains. Already. And SARS-CoV-2 has months and months and months to develop a kibosh for 2022.

This virus is not done. Not by a long chalk. It is too perfectly suited to terrorising humanity, we will likely be fellow-travelling with it for years or decades to come.

I don't want to scare you, but if you're not scared you haven't been paying proper attention.

Bolded made me laugh considering the previous two paragraphs contained exaggerations regarding 'several' strains that we have found. There is at present no conclusive, firm evidence that any of the strains will be resistant to the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

That’s the target. Do you think they will jab everyone and then open everything up? There’s going to be a period where the government judges the effectiveness of the vaccine.

No, I think there will be a gradual easing starting from a couple months time. As this process goes on, simultaneously more and more people will begetting vaxxed.

3 hours ago, Bad Man MC said:

Unlikely. I for one (and i know a thing or two about how festivals are run) am doubtful it will even happen in 2022, and furthermore the licensing conditions if it does go ahead will be far, far more prohibitive. Capacity, sound levels, booze allowances will be dropped, and over zealous security and curfews increased. 

The council and Police have been wanting to crack down on Glastonbury for a while now (since the last one RE: 'superfence'), and i would bet you this will be their opportunity to do so. 

So, before one and all get carried away with 2022 being 'fucking glorious' 🙄, i wouldnt count your chickens just yet. Wise up and think again. 

Do you have to try hard to be such a bellend, or does it come natural?

2 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

Fine, if that’s the government’s view then they should tell festivals now so they can all cancel and save themselves any more money, instead of leaving them in this unsustainable limbo. What they’re actually doing is still claiming it will be an amazing summer.

Yes they should.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yes quite possibly ... but probably still battling the consequences of parts of the nhs being shut and massive waiting lists ... the knock on consequences are going to take quite a while to clear unfortunately ... although how much this will impact on festival care I’m not sure 

Exactly this. Too many people think that as soon as people have been vaccined that it'll be all go. It's being passed by that the majority of people will not  have entered a hospital to have the vaccine but the NHS are overwhelmed.

Not only this. Standard everyday hospital procedures that are being put off due to covid with then come into the fray.

3 hours ago, viberunner said:

There is no chance of being able to safely host an event-of-size this summer. This was always the case. I got abuse here for pointing this out months ago. I don't like the facts but the facts don't care about my or anyone's feelings. The virus is too damaging, too transmissible, and there is no chance of full immunity in time. The cancellation of 2021 was always a 100% certainty.

As for next year? And yes at the risk of more abuse, festivals in 2022 will be dependent on whether or not significant vaccine-avoiding or vaccine-resistant strains emerge. Even now we are appearing to find what appears to be potentially several vaccine-resistant or vaccine-avoiding strains. Already. And SARS-CoV-2 has months and months and months to develop a kibosh for 2022.

This virus is not done. Not by a long chalk. It is too perfectly suited to terrorising humanity, we will likely be fellow-travelling with it for years or decades to come.

I don't want to scare you, but if you're not scared you haven't been paying proper attention.

Im not surprised you got abuse, having only joined this forum yesterday due to research for a report i have been commissioned to produce (as an EU and UK festival consultant, mostly on the visa issues as a consequence of Brexit), it seems hostile vitriol comes naturally to many posters on here. 

I have done more work in the last 10 years to get festivals off the ground and licensed than probably everyone on this website put together. I have many personal friends who have gone bankrupt and lost their livelihoods over the last year, and others who have been ill with Covid-19. Yet the general consensus of this forum is only one of "oh shit, i cant go rampaging around a farmers field this summer" as if it is their absolute human right. What shallow, obnoxious entitlement. No wonder many publications and media outlets have contacted me over the years waving a tasty carrot in front of my face to dish some dirt on the running of UK music festivals. Perhaps i should direct them to this website to give them all the ammunition they need for what they would gladly describe as the 'woke generation'.
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bad Man MC said:

Im not surprised you got abuse, having only joined this forum yesterday due to research for a report i have been commissioned to produce (as an EU and UK festival consultant, mostly on the visa issues as a consequence of Brexit), it seems hostile vitriol comes naturally to many posters on here. 

I have done more work in the last 10 years to get festivals off the ground and licensed than probably everyone on this website put together. I have many personal friends who have gone bankrupt and lost their livelihoods over the last year, and others who have been ill with Covid-19. Yet the general consensus of this forum is only one of "oh shit, i cant go rampaging around a farmers field this summer" as if it is their absolute human right. What shallow, obnoxious entitlement. No wonder many publications and media outlets have contacted me over the years waving a tasty carrot in front of my face to dish some dirt on the running of UK music festivals. Perhaps i should direct them to this website to give them all the ammunition they need for what they would gladly describe as the 'woke generation'.

This is vintage work from you Jim.

12 minutes ago, Bad Man MC said:

You've been on many times before in different guises and only ever to pick a fight. 

Yeah, being on the other side of 40 for this wasnt the plan, but if its one of my last hurrahs or maybe even the last glasto I go to, then Ill take it. Cause the 2023 ticket sale is going to put the ones post and pre fallow to shame. See Tickets better start buying up server space right this second.

They really should start some fundraisers and there will be no shortage of people who will send them money to ensure things will proceed smoothly next year.

22 minutes ago, Bad Man MC said:

Oh, go boil your head!

It's pretty ironic that I heard the news from a friend earlier despite spending unhealthy amounts of time in this thread! Typical. 

I was putting my votes in the 20% range, so I was always thinking it might not happen, but I guess I didn't expect confirmation so early. I'd already pretty much resigned myself to not going either way and I guess a small part of me is relieved to not have to worry about whether or not to try for the resale.

I am really gutted for people here, though. And sad that it could he 2023 realistically when I'm back.

More than that, I'm getting the vibe that festivals at all this summer might be in a precarious spot. Was half thinking of Blue Dot, but that's July... might try Green Man, Supernormal or End of the Road later in the summer. Or even Bearded Theory as that's so heavily recommended round these parts. But I won't bank on anything for now.

I hope they do some kind of live streaming gigs. They could charge a fee to raise a bit to extra cash for the charities. And maybe give away some socially distanced tickets as well. I enjoyed what they put on last year, but it would be cool to do something a bit more this time.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Yes they should.

Exactly this. Too many people think that as soon as people have been vaccined that it'll be all go. It's being passed by that the majority of people will not  have entered a hospital to have the vaccine but the NHS are overwhelmed.

Not only this. Standard everyday hospital procedures that are being put off due to covid with then come into the fray.

Nobody thinks that, it’s a question of what impact the vaccinations have.

There is a good chance vaccinations will at some point bring hospitalisations down to very low levels, it’s at that point that people hoped festivals would/will be possible.

Obviously nobody knows just quite what impact vaccinations will have and when, hence why Glastonbury has cancelled, due to uncertainty.

Obviously nobody in their right mind is advocating Festivals going on while the NHS is under massive strain, that would simply never happen would it.

There seems a real inability amongst some to separate the situation now, with the NHS obviously under huge strain, from what it might be at some point in the future, possibly 6 months from now.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, bamber said:

Gutted, I'm just so utterly gutted.

Same. Just totally bereft, even though I expected it. Was waiting for this as a form of catharsis after the trauma of the last ten months. I know a lot of people here have said it’s good to know so early, but I feel the opposite. Even the small hope of it was the only thing getting me through this winter. I feel like they could have given it a few more weeks, but I’m sure they’ve tried looking into every avenue. Just worried that it’s set off a lack of confidence for other organisers at a time of year when everything is very bleak anyway.

Edited by katgem

4 hours ago, leonaves said:

Interesting tidbit from the FAQ:

Seems a bit daft to expect people to leave from the same coach departure point nearly 3 years from when they booked it. No-one's going to be cancelling their ticket over it obviously, they'll just drive out of their way to get to their original departure point. Kind of goes against the whole spirit of the coaches in the first place, if people end up using more petrol to get to their coach departure point than they would have used getting themselves to Glastonbury.

The coaches aren't entirely about the green side of things though. It's also about less traffic on the roads around the festival

Gutting but it hasn't hit me half as much as it did last year. Completely expected it, as sad as it is. Last year I think was still in the 'it'll blow over' stage of thinking.

The only positive I can take is, with vaccinations being rolled out, there should be nothing to stop it coming back in 2022 with a bang, and it will be the best party I've ever been to.

These are grim days, really feel for Michael & Emily.