Glastonbury 21 cancelled

Leyrulion

There is no chance of being able to safely host an event-of-size this summer. This was always the case. I got abuse here for pointing this out months ago. I don't like the facts but the facts don't care about my or anyone's feelings. The virus is too damaging, too transmissible, and there is no chance of full immunity in time. The cancellation of 2021 was always a 100% certainty.

As for next year? And yes at the risk of more abuse, festivals in 2022 will be dependent on whether or not significant vaccine-avoiding or vaccine-resistant strains emerge. Even now we are appearing to find what appears to be potentially several vaccine-resistant or vaccine-avoiding strains. Already. And SARS-CoV-2 has months and months and months to develop a kibosh for 2022.

This virus is not done. Not by a long chalk. It is too perfectly suited to terrorising humanity, we will likely be fellow-travelling with it for years or decades to come.

I don't want to scare you, but if you're not scared you haven't been paying proper attention.

37 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

It will be two months before my 70th, it's my knee I'm worried about.

I haven't got a ticket, so hoping for an October sale, or next April resale. If I have to wait until 2023 I'll be 69 and I'm not sure about my knees. Last few festivals I have needed voltarol to see me through the 5 days.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

If you’re immediate thought after this is to spend money on a festival later in the summer I’d honestly urge you to save your money. 

Certainly not looking to spend right now but if things pick up in the coming months it would be good to know my options! Right now my hope is they can get the vaccine to as many people as possible but it is always nice to have something to look forward to...

3 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Certainly not looking to spend right now but if things pick up in the coming months it would be good to know my options! Right now my hope is they can get the vaccine to as many people as possible but it is always nice to have something to look forward to...

I just think the NHS point which has been raised today stupidly didn’t cross my mind before but it’s pretty much the kiss of death for any event like Glastonbury trying to go ahead in 2021.

If they can’t get the numbers of NHS staff to be on site to support the event due to demand on medical services - then no event will be able to meet H&S standards. For as long as the NHS is battling COVID events like Glasto dont stand a chance 

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just think the NHS point which has been raised today stupidly didn’t cross my mind before but it’s pretty much the kiss of death for any event like Glastonbury trying to go ahead in 2021.

If they can’t get the numbers of NHS staff to be on site to support the event due to demand on medical services - then no event will be able to meet H&S standards. For as long as the NHS is battling COVID events like Glasto dont stand a chance 

There’s every chance the NHS won’t be battling covid in July, August or September. 

• Like 1

I’m really surprised people think the gov gives a toss about people dying. This is an insurance backed decision. As soon as the vulnerable groups are vaccinated and no ones blocking up the nhs it will be business as usual.

otherwise smoking would be illegal (80k deaths a year), the speed limit would be 20mph, and we’d all be eating kale smoothies 

Just now, stuie said:

There’s every chance the NHS won’t be battling covid in July, August or September. 

Yes quite possibly ... but probably still battling the consequences of parts of the nhs being shut and massive waiting lists ... the knock on consequences are going to take quite a while to clear unfortunately ... although how much this will impact on festival care I’m not sure 

1 minute ago, Old_Johno said:

I’m really surprised people think the gov gives a toss about people dying. This is an insurance backed decision. As soon as the vulnerable groups are vaccinated and no ones blocking up the nhs it will be business as usual.

otherwise smoking would be illegal (80k deaths a year), the speed limit would be 20mph, and we’d all be eating kale smoothies 

It’s a morbid thought but there is a lot of money in death. It’s a thriving economy and someone is making a lot of money out of people dying. 

In addition you have a lot of unclaimed estates where any windfalls are collected by the major landowners which happens to be the royals in most cases. 

20 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

So...any festivals in late summer you'd recommend? I know its a bit silly to assume any might go ahead but it would be nice to have something to hold onto!

Start your own Joshuwarr Fest 

U2 have got a spare Joshua Tree stage set lying around you could borrow to give it a real theme !

I think realistically as well, i'm unaware of any pandemic throughout history - vaccine or not, that has begun and ended within a year/18 months. I'm genuinely curious of any instances where this is the case,  but largely i think a pandemic of this scale will take a time naturally to take a course

(this is built on very limited knowledge by the way)

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

There’s a chance I could grow wings tomorrow. Albeit low.

Whilst I understand this argument you’ve got to look at where the scales are tipping in probabilities.

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yes quite possibly ... but probably still battling the consequences of parts of the nhs being shut and massive waiting lists ... the knock on consequences are going to take quite a while to clear unfortunately ... although how much this will impact on festival care I’m not sure 

I think this is a sobering moment where we realise how low priority the festival is in a period of emergency. If COVID gets better but the NHS is under extreme demand playing catch-up - that will be enough to stop any large scale event going ahead.

I genuinely think the pandemic needs to be on a serious road to recovery before big events can happen again. There’s no other way.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There’s a chance I could grow wings tomorrow. Albeit low.

Whilst I understand this argument you’ve got to look at where the scales are tipping in probabilities.

Scales are tipping the opposite way to what you're suggesting though? By late summer it is fair to assume almost every adult in the Uk that wants a vaccine could have had one.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Scales are tipping the opposite way to what you're suggesting though? By late summer it is fair to assume almost every adult in the Uk that wants a vaccine could have had one.

That’s the target. Do you think they will jab everyone and then open everything up? There’s going to be a period where the government judges the effectiveness of the vaccine.

41 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I know you mean well but the thought of having to rely on you lot to wheel me about fills me with dread. 😀

Amazing idea.

Strap you and @scrippit to sack trucks and race you around the site.

We could make it a team relay. Like that weird one they did in Neighbours back in the day, only without Kylie Minogue on rollerskates.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That’s the target. Do you think they will jab everyone and then open everything up? There’s going to be a period where the government judges the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Surely they are already doing that from the ongoing trial data and everyone who's had it so far. 

How long a period do they give it?