Glastonbury 21 cancelled

Leyrulion

I bet the young farmer that made around £4k cash selling cans up at the Stone Circle is well pissed off.

Along with all the others that made a few bob in hard cash every last weekend in June.

The local car dealers will be very low today !

Appropriate I guess to receive the news whilst wading through a muddy field!

very disappointing but not surprising. 

oh well, off to listen to Live Drugs at full volume and raise a glass or two in anticipation for 2022.

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Had my milestone birthday at Glastonbury as well, this time I will be collecting my pension 😲.

And I don’t fucking  care!

I reckon there’s a few of us! Still able to stumble back to my tent in the small hours, still prefer to be outside rather than in.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I don't see this Government backed insurance at all.

What if it Glasto went ahead without a single hitch then on Monday morning people were heading to the medical tent feeling unwell ?

If the British coast line was suddenly filled with Great White Sharks .  Would we have a Government backed insurance scheme so we could swim in the sea ? 

Or would we not be better just waiting until we could swim safely ?

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Spare a thought for the huge industry that supports all festivals, staging sound lighting catering etc. Another year of lost income. 

Yup, we lost over 20k worth of event work last summer. 

This year is starting to look very similar... 

Just now, ivan said:

What if it Glasto went ahead without a single hitch then on Monday morning people were heading to the medical tent feeling unwell ?

If the British coast line was suddenly filled with Great White Sharks .  Would we have a Government backed insurance scheme so we could swim in the sea ? 

It's about cancellation insurance, not the actual event insurance which they can get no issues.

Edited by Paul ™

1 minute ago, ivan said:

Because it could (looking unlikely at the moment, but could) be safe to have a festival season come the summer, but by then they might have all pulled the plug due to the uncertainty. The insurance would be for the events spending all the cash on setting up and then having to cancel close to the time, not covering people infected at the event.

Germany has done it for their events sector, our government just don’t give a shit (as proved by the touring visa stuff as well).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ivan said:

What if the government said we would be able to go back into the sea as normal by April and we just wanted some insurance in case they were wrong about that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I know the endless speculation wouldn't help but I feel as if they could have waited a little while longer, the situation is changing so quickly and we don't know how things will be 6 months down the line - still sad to hear about it though 

but even in a 2 or 3 months time when a final decision would definitely need to be made there would still be a lot of uncertainty, and if govt were never going to underwrite the insurance then they still would have had to cancel, and waste a lot more money in planning/booking etc.

Interesting tidbit from the FAQ:

I booked a coach package for 2020 but don’t want to get the coach in 2022, can I change my booking?

Your deposit will only be valid for a like-for-like booking, if you had booked a coach package, your deposit will only be valid for a coach package for 2022. If you no longer wish to travel by coach, you will need to cancel your existing booking and try for a general admission ticket within the ticket resales in 2021.

I’ve booked a coach package, will the coach departure point still be the same for 2022?

If you had booked a coach package for the 2020 Festival, and have had the booking rolled over to 2022, See will try to keep the coach departure locations the same.

Seems a bit daft to expect people to leave from the same coach departure point nearly 3 years from when they booked it. No-one's going to be cancelling their ticket over it obviously, they'll just drive out of their way to get to their original departure point. Kind of goes against the whole spirit of the coaches in the first place, if people end up using more petrol to get to their coach departure point than they would have used getting themselves to Glastonbury.

Edited by leonaves

14 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

Because it could (looking unlikely at the moment, but could) be safe to have a festival season come the summer, but by then they might have all pulled the plug due to the uncertainty. The insurance would be for the events spending all the cash on setting up and then having to cancel close to the time, not covering people infected at the event.

Germany has done it for their events sector, our government just don’t give a shit (as proved by the touring visa stuff as well).

It will not be safe to have the event by the end of June. You've got 5 months and yesterday after a few good days we had 5k new cases with the last two days claiming highest death rates. The country will need to be vaccined 95% at least first.

Just now, leonaves said:

Interesting tidbit from the FAQ:

Seems a bit daft to expect people to leave from the same coach departure point nearly 3 years from when they booked it. No-one's going to be cancelling their ticket over it obviously, they'll just drive out of their way to get to their original departure point. Kind of goes against the whole spirit of the coaches in the first place, if people end up using more petrol to get to their coach departure point than they would have used getting themselves to Glastonbury.

Good point, I would suspect they might allow a change in departure point but not to change it to a normal ticket.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It will not be safe to have the event by the end of June. You've got 5 months and yesterday after a few good days we had 5k new cases with the last two days claiming highest death rates. The country will need to be vaccined 95% at least first.

Fine, if that’s the government’s view then they should tell festivals now so they can all cancel and save themselves any more money, instead of leaving them in this unsustainable limbo. What they’re actually doing is still claiming it will be an amazing summer.