Glastonbury 21 cancelled

Leyrulion

Paul Reed, chair of the Association of Independent Festivals (Glastonbury is not a member of AIF), wasn’t surprised by the decision to cancel, which could have mixed ramifications for the rest of the British festival circuit. “You have to consider its global and cultural significance – it’s the largest green-field festival in the world, and it could set the tone in terms of public confidence for festivals going ahead this year.”

However, Reed stressed that Glastonbury’s size – with a capacity of 210,000 – made it an outlier. “There are 975 festivals in the UK. Though some of the larger events will be making decisions this month as to whether they go ahead, for many of the smaller ones the cut-off will be later.”

A recent AIF survey said that the average “go or no-go” decision date for its smaller festivals was the end of March. It takes a minimum of six to eight months to stage a festival, said Reed, and it costs “anything between £500,000 to plan a 5,000-capacity festival to £12m for a 70,000-capacity festival, which is why we’ve been asking the government to intervene on government-backed insurance and give us some sense of a timeframe on reopening.”

It was inevitable but when you see it in an email it is still gut wrenching to say the least.

It certainly is a miserable time atm and I really hope that everyone is coping with the situation.

Life is good, let's all look forward to next year's 'best party on the planet'. 

Do you think with the likes of Glastonbury, and I'm now presuming other festivals cancelling, this could have an impact on artists releasing new music? I know we still got a lot of new music last year with no festivals, but some may have been waiting til this year to tie into the festival circuit. 

Just a thought. Maybe I make no sense haha

Not at all surprising, but still sad just for the state of things and the uncertainty for so far into this year.

I don't even feel able to say "roll on 2022!" with the same confidence I had about 2021 when '20 was cancelled, because nothing feels guaranteed anymore. The only guarantee is that when Glastonbury next happens it will be a party for the ages.

And I also know that even without Glasto '21 to look forward to, I'm going to be on this site just as much as I have been this whole year. Honestly I'd be kind of lost without it at this point.

Actually a relief. Wearing a mask wandering around the festival just seemed like an awful prospect. I want to leave responsibilities behind at Glastonbury, not be confronted by the tail end of a global pandemic every minute of the day.

In 2022, I'm going to put my arms round strangers whilst we both sing at the top of our voices!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, OG said:

COCK!

I think you ought to watch your language. 

To the rest of you- welcome to the real world. The world where there is a pandemic and over 100,000 people were never, ever going to allowed to camp on top of each other and share rancid portaloos crawling with filth for 5 days in 2021, and actually probably not even in 2022 either. Now maybe you can give some thought to the NHS staff, bereaved families and those who have lost everything, rather than selfishly fantasising and festishising camping in a field and getting off your bollox to some music. Perhaps donate the money you would have spaffed on drugs on causes to help the aforementioned? 

• Downvote 15

6 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Do you think with the likes of Glastonbury, and I'm now presuming other festivals cancelling, this could have an impact on artists releasing new music? I know we still got a lot of new music last year with no festivals, but some may have been waiting til this year to tie into the festival circuit. 

Just a thought. Maybe I make no sense haha

I think bands will release albums as normal. No other option  really!

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Actually a relief. Wearing a mask wandering around the festival just seemed like an awful prospect. I want to leave responsibilities behind at Glastonbury, not be confronted by the tail end of a global pandemic every minute of the day.

In 2022, I'm going to put my arms round strangers whilst we both sing at the top of our voices!

this.

2 minutes ago, Bad Man MC said:

I think you ought to watch your language. 

To the rest of you- welcome to the real world. The world where there is a pandemic and over 100,000 people were never, ever going to allowed to camp on top of each other and share rancid portaloos crawling with filth for 5 days in 2021, and actually probably not even in 2022 either. Now maybe you can give some thought to the NHS staff, bereaved families and those who have lost everything, rather than selfishly fantasising and festishising camping in a field and getting off your bollox to some music. Perhaps donate the money you would have spaffed on drugs on causes to help the aforementioned? 

bless you. I believe people on here can do more than one thing . Maybe you can't but others have that mental capacity. Perhaps something you can try and develop during these terrible times

• Upvote 1