What bands/artists do you think have made the last year 'easier'

Funkyfairy!

During the last year I think there have been a number of bands / artists who have made me smile, who seem to live for music and are going all out to help to bring a smile to others faces. 

For me Frank Turner, legend having Thursday night request gigs from his house with crowdfunding for a different live music venue each week - love it ,(and some of the gigs crowdfunded for his touring team) 

Last lockdown Biffy playing live streams in his tracksuit and mismatched socks - loved it

And Tim Burgess and his listening parties - I'd love to think (and hopefully its true) that he does a load of the tweets himself and that he really is along for the ride and its not just his team, but which ever way the listening parties are superb, the badges/patches/keyrings hes arranged to save live music venues - all flippin brilliant 

Who has impressed you as a band/artist this year for what they have given ? 

• Upvote 2

Fatboy Slim’s lockdown mixes were a source of great enjoyment for me over the summer , the same with the Defected Livestreams 

plastician does a twitch stream every week, and brought out his joke book for Christmas as well

so kudos to all of them, they’ve helped me out massively this year 

Frank Ocean for me. I didn't realise (or had forgotten) that you can add local files to Spotify, so a lot of the past twelve months have been spent listening to Nostalgia, Ultra. 

Disclosure's production livestreams have also taken up countless hours, as well as Radio 1 and 2 soundtracking WFH. 

100 gecs spring to mind. They’re outrageously fun. They never fail in distracting me from pretty much anything else going on, they’re that batshit. 

Pig Destroyer have been a fun listen when I’ve felt a bit pissed off. Just absolute chaos. 

Deftones are my most listened to artist. They’re a band I love anyway but their most recent album was my #1 Album of the Year and I spent most of the second half of 2020 just delving back into their back catalogue. 

In terms of band of the year, the overall band has that has made the lockdown era(s) for me, it has to be Code Orange. They released an unbelievable album and put on three outstanding live streams. They deserve all the success that comes their way when things open back up. 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

In terms of band of the year, the overall band has that has made the lockdown era(s) for me, it has to be Code Orange. They released an unbelievable album and put on three outstanding live streams. They deserve all the success that comes their way when things open back up. 

Totally agree. Metal in general has been a great outlet for me. Lots of great metal albums in 2020. Have you checked out "Splid" by Kvelertak? Tremendous album. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Totally agree. Metal in general has been a great outlet for me. Lots of great metal albums in 2020. Have you checked out "Splid" by Kvelertak? Tremendous album. 

It really was a great year for metal, I agree! Yes, I did check out the Kvelertak album when it was released. I enjoyed a fair bit of it but haven’t revisited it; they’ve never been a band I’ve really connected with in any way. 

I think the best out and out metal album of 2020 was Killer Be Killed - Reluctant Hero. I’m still playing it all the time even now. Definitely worth your time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

It really was a great year for metal, I agree! Yes, I did check out the Kvelertak album when it was released. I enjoyed a fair bit of it but haven’t revisited it; they’ve never been a band I’ve really connected with in any way. 

I think the best out and out metal album of 2020 was Killer Be Killed - Reluctant Hero. I’m still playing it all the time even now. Definitely worth your time. 

I love KBK! I rinsed the first album to death after stumbling across them at a metal festival in Australia! Reluctant Hero was great. I think I had it on here as one of my albums of 2020, actually

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

And Tim Burgess and his listening parties - I'd love to think (and hopefully its true) that he does a load of the tweets himself and that he really is along for the ride and its not just his team, but which ever way the listening parties are superb, the badges/patches/keyrings hes arranged to save live music venues - all flippin brilliant 

Who has impressed you as a band/artist this year for what they have given ? 

Tim's been an absolute legend this year. The listening parties have been such a ray of light in an awful year.

Aside from Burgess I don't have any specific names as such.

But...

The number of smaller, up and coming bands who have continued plugging away, releasing singles, EPs and debut albums has been fantastic.  I've found that constant supply of new stuff has kept me interested and excited all year.

And cheating slightly as it's not a band or artist, but take a bow Bandcamp.  Their monthly zero-fee Bandcamp Fridays have been great.

• Upvote 1

Yep have really enjoyed Frank Turner's output over the last year, never expected anything less given the situation really. Brian Fallon from the Gaslight Anthem has also put on some lovely lockdown shows and a lesser known artist whom I adore, Joe Pug, has smashed it on the regular too.

Bit of a different track but I've bought a few of the performance streams put on by the Liverpool Philharmonic too. Tasmin Little's rendition of The Lark Ascending was a tearjerker.

• 3 weeks later...

All sorts of metal for me too - really lifts the mood and gets this lockdown bollocks out of the system for a while. And it's getting heavier. Always liked Clutch/Metallica/Rammstein/Skindred/Zombie etc but now added a shed load of bands. Spotify's Metal mixes are just fab.

Oh, and a fair dose of old school punk.

And if I need a laugh there's always Shoom by PiL