Veganuary

Chrisp1986

11 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Ok similar advise needed. Planning on making vegan ramen but there's no mock meat stock to be had. Should I use the chicken stock I have stored so it doesn't go to waste? 🤔

Personal preference really. I mean the principle is the same question as I asked, but I guess it's different in that you haven't got the actual pieces of meat.  Depends on which is more important to you, avoiding waste or not consuming any animal bits!

Def a +1 for veg stock though.  I just sling any old nonsense I've got in there with plenty of herbs and a few peppercorns and you're laughing.

11 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I realise this might not be much help in the short term but for the next time, I make my own stock. Save up all your veg ends and cast offs in a plastic bag in the freezer. Once it's full, boil it in some water for about 45 minutes - 1 hour, strain it out and then boom; flavourful non-meaty stock. 

For ramen I use that with miso paste, tahini, soy sauce, garlic and ginger and it tastes great. 

Sounds divine! Tahini is so good.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:17 PM, Quark said:

Update: Oat milk has produced a satisfactory result for a cup of tea. Just standard Alpro as that's all that was in my local CoOp.  Hasn't split out, which is what I found soya milk doing 90% of the time.

I'll report back in the morning on coffee and porridge.

Carry on.

Mrs Blutarsky has been dairy free since Christmas, when we discovered new born mini-B had a CMPA allergy. we then found out she’s also likely allergic to Soya at present! 
Point is, she found all milks were splitting in coffee. After a bit of research she started pre-heating the milk before adding coffee, which stopped it splitting. Wasn’t 100% reliable with soy milk but she likes Koko Coconut milk and it’s worked fine with that. She likes it in porridge too.  

On 1/18/2021 at 10:13 PM, Mr.Tease said:

The No Bones Jones cookbook came out last year, if you want to create their delicious glastonbury dishes. Also have a nice stew in there.

However I’ve never found a veggie cookbook I’ve been happy with- would love to know the best one for Indian food especially, if anyone can help?

I have the NBJ book and really like the chickpea and spinach curry. Sometimes I’m naughty and add chicken and some stock which is 🤌

Its also really good for bulk cooking and then freezing. We’ve got 6-7 portions of it in the freezer at the moment. 

Word of warning though, you want to avoid standing behind me for 24 hours after I’ve eaten it... 

Fritters are very easy to do at home and delicious. 

Edited by blutarsky

On 2/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, Quark said:

Personal preference really. I mean the principle is the same question as I asked, but I guess it's different in that you haven't got the actual pieces of meat.  Depends on which is more important to you, avoiding waste or not consuming any animal bits!

Def a +1 for veg stock though.  I just sling any old nonsense I've got in there with plenty of herbs and a few peppercorns and you're laughing.

I like this, saves time and effort. I don’t even bother mixing it up, just stir a tablespoon into whatever I’m cooking, provided it’s moist enough to work. 

image.jpg

We had six (SIX!) chicken stock pots in the pantry so I used them. Weirdly stock was one of the things panic bought here during the last lockdown so I "stocked" 😉 up when the shelves were full again.

Will bulk buy some vegie stock when I'm emptied out.

Edited by Bryanrebe

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Mrs Blutarsky has been dairy free since Christmas, when we discovered new born mini-B had a CMPA allergy. we then found out she’s also likely allergic to Soya at present! 
Point is, she found all milks were splitting in coffee. After a bit of research she started pre-heating the milk before adding coffee, which stopped it splitting. Wasn’t 100% reliable with soy milk but she likes Koko Coconut milk and it’s worked fine with that. She likes it in porridge too.  

Ah that's a bugger for mini-B pal 😞 

Heat's definitely the issue with oat milk.  It's fine in tea as I let it stand for about 4 minutes to brew, so that takes the sting out. Just need to remember to do the same and have some patience with my coffee, as that's where it tends to go a bit splitty. Still nowhere nearly as bad as soya milk did though.  Although I'm happy with soya milk in my porridge.

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I like this, saves time and effort. I don’t even bother mixing it up, just stir a tablespoon into whatever I’m cooking, provided it’s moist enough to work. 

Mrs Q has minor issues with onion & garlic, so it's preferable to make our own so I can control what goes in there. But if we're cheating then the Kallo low-salt stock cubes work nicely.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Ah that's a bugger for mini-B pal 😞 

Mrs Q has minor issues with onion & garlic, so it's preferable to make our own so I can control what goes in there. But if we're cheating then the Kallo low-salt stock cubes work nicely.

It’s quite common babies apparently, and the vast majority grow out of it by 1, so hopefully it’s not something we need to worry about long term. 

Don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t have onion and garlic, I use fuck loads of both in anything I cook! 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

It’s quite common babies apparently, and the vast majority grow out of it by 1, so hopefully it’s not something we need to worry about long term. 

Don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t have onion and garlic, I use fuck loads of both in anything I cook! 

Yep my husband had it a a baby and he eats a lot of dairy now with no issues. 

On 02/02/2021 at 3:49 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-katsu-curry

Going to give this a go at the weekend. I shall report back.

Sauce could've been a bit thicker, but aside from that I'm happy with this as a first attempt 

20210205_193812.jpg

On 2/2/2021 at 2:49 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-katsu-curry

Going to give this a go at the weekend. I shall report back.

If the curry isn’t very nice, this Yutaka pre-made one is very delicious- you just have to chop and cook some onions and then add some water to the Katsura curry cubes, then cook it in a pan for a while

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301064187

If you want to re-create the Wagamama Katsu curry, use Yutaka sushi rice, and slice some sweet potato, Butternut Squash and Aubergine (feel free to cook it for a bit in the oven to soften it), cover in pandora breadcrumbs (again can be bought in a pack). I use an egg to make them stick, but just use whatever the vegan alternative for making breadcrumbs stick is, and deep fry

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

If the curry isn’t very nice, this Yutaka pre-made one is very delicious- you just have to chop and cook some onions and then add some water to the Katsura curry cubes, then cook it in a pan for a while

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301064187

If you want to re-create the Wagamama Katsu curry, use Yutaka sushi rice, and slice some sweet potato, Butternut Squash and Aubergine (feel free to cook it for a bit in the oven to soften it), cover in pandora breadcrumbs (again can be bought in a pack). I use an egg to make them stick, but just use whatever the vegan alternative for making breadcrumbs stick is, and deep fry

Cheers. This was the other reflection I had. I'm used to having more veg in my curries and this one felt a bit sparse with just the tofu. Will throw in some veg next time. 

14 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Sauce could've been a bit thicker, but aside from that I'm happy with this as a first attempt 

20210205_193812.jpg

I was going to upvote this but it must be broken on my site. 

@eFestivalsis there an issue with the feature? - just read your post on When Will This Shit End thread, hopefully they can come back soon. 

Edited by Kalopsia

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Treated ourselves to Wagamama on Saturday night, went all out on the vegan dishes. So good.  Can't remember the last time I had ramen, plus all the side dishes I could get my hands on 😛

When I first tried the Ramen years ago, I had no idea how you were meant to eat it- I ended up trying to eat it all with the big spoon, like a soup, but it splattered everywhere- it was very embarrassing (this did not deter me though as I was hungry and it was very delicious).