Veganuary

Chrisp1986

21 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

ooo not tried that one .... I'll await the feedback and may try that next week 

It's great - have done it a few times. Its a bit time consuming in that you roast the courgettes and aubergine, then make the pesto, then create the "Cheese" sauce using cashews and a blender. Then its all layered in and baked. 

Not one you want to start late - but tastes wonderful.

8 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

It's great - have done it a few times. Its a bit time consuming in that you roast the courgettes and aubergine, then make the pesto, then create the "Cheese" sauce using cashews and a blender. Then its all layered in and baked. 

Not one you want to start late - but tastes wonderful.

one for a sunday then 🙂 thanks for the warning 🙂

This is the only recipe book I have, which I think I bought after someone linked it on here in the Nick Cave thread a few years back. It's certainly odd, but there are a few recipes in there that are good. People have bought others for me in the past, but they have sat unloved on the shelf before making their way to the great cookbook shelf in the Oxfam purely because I rely on the internet too much and google some recipes. 

Someone mentioned the Thug series of recipe books - apply caution when parting with your money there as the white hipster couple behind them changed their brand name last year after years of criticism for cultural exploitation and racist connotations

Great to read of so many people enjoying Veganuary. Have been vegan for the last year/18 months, after accepting a bet at Glastonbury. If I knew of the benefits I would have converted sooner. I've found food easy to adhere to, but beer is a bit more of a challenge. I've certainly been tripped up a few times unwittingly.

I'd be interested to hear from people what they eat for a casual lunch/meal, for example. Cookery books (Bosh etc) are great if you're got a few hours to prepare for a weekend evening meal, but I find the run of the mill Monday-Friday meals with work in between tough to keep interesting. I normally resort to the supermarket vegan burgers, which I'm not totally convinced are altogether that healthy, or a homemade soup.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Great to read of so many people enjoying Veganuary. Have been vegan for the last year/18 months, after accepting a bet at Glastonbury. If I knew of the benefits I would have converted sooner. I've found food easy to adhere to, but beer is a bit more of a challenge. I've certainly been tripped up a few times unwittingly.

I'd be interested to hear from people what they eat for a casual lunch/meal, for example. Cookery books (Bosh etc) are great if you're got a few hours to prepare for a weekend evening meal, but I find the run of the mill Monday-Friday meals with work in between tough to keep interesting. I normally resort to the supermarket vegan burgers, which I'm not totally convinced are altogether that healthy, or a homemade soup.

At the weekend I'll do a massive tray of roasted red onion, peppers, courgette and aubergine, tub it up and stick it in the fridge. That provides a really good base for some lunches, along with some good store cupboard fillers. I'm a fan of cooking up a tub of brown rice and sticking that in the fridge as well.

Pasta, pesto (vegan one if that's your thing) and the roast veg, plus quorn pieces or something like cannellini beans. A couple of blocks of frozen spinach blasted in the microwave and stirred through it also works.

Brown rice, quorn pieces (you can cook them in at the time or in advance with  some cumin seeds and smoked paprika), the roast veg and some avocado, topped with falafel.

Tinned soup and a bagel; I'm a big fan of a couple of the Baxter's veggie soups, and the Amy's Kitchen tomato soup is really good.  I bulk the soup out with beans or chickpeas, and the tomato one works really well with the roast veg and (believe it or not) falafel out of the oven and sat on top. If you don't fancy the bagel, some of them also work really well with some brown rice mixed in and stirred through.

WFH these days so these are all something that can be knocked up in about 10-15 minutes if I've done a bit of weekend prep.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Theres only two of us I cook for now the kids have flown the coop, though we're both working at home  We still cook the same amount as when the kids were at home and save the rest for lunches. Last night I did a vegan lasagne and we've got at least  half of it left for lunch.

I also do a couple of soups at the weekend which we then lunch on during the week. BBC Good Food has loads of great soup recipes. We go through gallons of the Indian Winter Soup, the chunky minestrone and the hearty mushroom soup from on there. 

Soups dead easy as mostly its just cut up veg, add stock, boil the hell out of it. Done

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Work colleague just sent me this recipe for vegan nutella, think I'll be giving it a go this weekend!

https://www.pickuplimes.com/single-post/2017/03/30/best-ever-vegan-nutella-a-step-by-step-guide

The site itself looks interesting as a whole, will be doing a bit of browsing

blimey - thats looks worth a go

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Work colleague just sent me this recipe for vegan nutella, think I'll be giving it a go this weekend!

https://www.pickuplimes.com/single-post/2017/03/30/best-ever-vegan-nutella-a-step-by-step-guide

The site itself looks interesting as a whole, will be doing a bit of browsing

200.gif

On 1/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, Huckleberry Finn said:

For easy meals I tend to just add veggie sausages/meat balls/quorn pieces/oomph pieces/tofu to some vegan pasta sauce, or vegan pesto and a bit of pasta.

As I live on my own if I’m feeling really lazy/pushed for time I’ll just have some Huel, but that’s no good if you actually enjoy eating food!

On 1/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, Huckleberry Finn said:

Also worth mentioning theres a Speedy Bosh book. A lot of them are speeded up versions of the recipes in the other books. Still miles better than eating processed stuff. They generally take half hour or so to prepare.

OK, next hive mind question!

Now I've got my milk situation sorted with oat milk (which I've also discovered is nice just on its own), the next one is butter.

So many spreads out there, is there any consensus on the best ones?  I feel like I've tried loads of sunflower / olive oil spreads, but they always just feel a bit like they're a yellow bread lubricant than actually providing a decent taste. Something that goes well on toast with marmalade, or just on its own on a cinnamon bagel.

Accept I might be hoping for too much here and the answer's probably going to be something obvious like Flora, but as always all thoughts are welcome!

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK, next hive mind question!

Now I've got my milk situation sorted with oat milk (which I've also discovered is nice just on its own), the next one is butter.

So many spreads out there, is there any consensus on the best ones?  I feel like I've tried loads of sunflower / olive oil spreads, but they always just feel a bit like they're a yellow bread lubricant than actually providing a decent taste. Something that goes well on toast with marmalade, or just on its own on a cinnamon bagel.

Accept I might be hoping for too much here and the answer's probably going to be something obvious like Flora, but as always all thoughts are welcome!

Good question. Can I also add Cheese to it?

Love cheese - is there anything out there that gets anywhere near in terms of texture and taste?

7 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Good question. Can I also add Cheese to it?

Love cheese - is there anything out there that gets anywhere near in terms of texture and taste?

We've certainly not found anything for Mrs Q. I've kind of accepted that I can strip out milk and butter, but cheese will remain something where I have the proper stuff.  Just won't have it that often.

Cheese is the holy grail, but I've found a couple that are decent for day to day use.

For slices I recommend Go Vegan. Norwegian company apparently but sure some places in the UK will stock it

Synnøve Go'vegan Skivad - Vegopedia

For grated I've just discovered Simply V. Melts nicely under the grill, had it on toast this morning. Was great. 

Vegan Grated - Simply-V_EN