Veganuary

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Anyone else tried "Mylk" from Rebel Kitchen? Sainsburys have started doing it recently (or recently in Chippenham at least). Theres a full fat and a skimmed version. The "full fat" one is good on cereal. Its a mix of ingredients inc oat, hemp, brown rice, cashew and coconut.

It’s stunning on cereal / porridge / overnight oats ... I use the semi skimmed one and love it 

10 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

I'm looking for a Vegetarian cookbook, does anyone have a book they'd recommend? 

East by Meera Sodha is my fav cookbook purchase from last year also The Green Roasting Tin is handy for simple one tray in the oven recipes 🙂 

1 hour ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Heres a shout out to the Bosh series of books as well. Available in all good supermarkets as they say...

BOSH! By Henry Firth

Big fan of this too. The red ratatouille risotto is one of my go-to recipes if I want to make something a bit fancier. Also make big batches of the red thai curry paste and freeze it, makes a really quick dinner option, just need to add the fresh veg/tofu and coconut milk and you're good to go. 

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve also got this, was meant to help me out on those hungover days when you want something satisfying, quick and tasty:

7C137FBA-2A15-45D0-B0CC-884B8E779687.png

Ooh now this is interesting. Cheese and eggs are the basis for any sandwich for me these days, so be good to find some alternatives!

Also, can confirm oat milk works in coffee too. That's me off the normal milk now, tea and coffee were my only reasons for buying it. Thanks for the recommendations!

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ooh now this is interesting. Cheese and eggs are the basis for any sandwich for me these days, so be good to find some alternatives!

Also, can confirm oat milk works in coffee too. That's me off the normal milk now, tea and coffee were my only reasons for buying it. Thanks for the recommendations!

For your coffee I'd recommend getting a barista oat milk and whisking it for a few seconds with one of these 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept4u-Battery-Run-Instant-Froth-Whisk/dp/B00VK35Z4W#ace-g0979249316

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

For your coffee I'd recommend getting a barista oat milk and whisking it for a few seconds with one of these 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept4u-Battery-Run-Instant-Froth-Whisk/dp/B00VK35Z4W#ace-g0979249316

May well give that a go if I fancy making a posh coffee. Still on the instant at the moment!  My espresso machine has been gathering dust for far too long, but it's hard to get fairtrade ground in our normal supermarket shop and I've not got round to either getting a decent grinder or ordering decent pre-ground coffee from somewhere else. Something to look into.

Presumably the barista stuff works when steaming milk for a latte or similar?

55 minutes ago, Quark said:

May well give that a go if I fancy making a posh coffee. Still on the instant at the moment!  My espresso machine has been gathering dust for far too long, but it's hard to get fairtrade ground in our normal supermarket shop and I've not got round to either getting a decent grinder or ordering decent pre-ground coffee from somewhere else. Something to look into.

Presumably the barista stuff works when steaming milk for a latte or similar?

Aye, but I use the barista/whisk with instant stuff too, just think it makes it taste a bit nicer.

4 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

East by Meera Sodha is my fav cookbook purchase from last year also The Green Roasting Tin is handy for simple one tray in the oven recipes 🙂 

Her recipes in the Guardian are great, I regularly cook her courgette and chickpea dal.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/aug/17/meera-sodha-courgette-and-chickpea-dal-recipe-vegan

This Ottolenghi Red Lentil Soup Recipe is a favourite as well, make it nearly every week.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/25/lentil-recipes-curried-coconut-soup-aubergine-stew-sweet-potato-croquettes-fritters-yotam-ottolenghi

Edited by Tatterdemalion

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Big fan of this too. The red ratatouille risotto is one of my go-to recipes if I want to make something a bit fancier. Also make big batches of the red thai curry paste and freeze it, makes a really quick dinner option, just need to add the fresh veg/tofu and coconut milk and you're good to go. 

The Red Ratatouille is a cracker. I could eat the Ultimate Chilli every night.  Love lots of the recipes in all the Bosh books. Some of them get a bit involved (the vegan fish and chips is great - but takes a while), but theres loads of mid-week meals.

Anyone thinking of extending Veganuary beyond the lockdown and likes to travel, I can't recommend the Happy Cow app enough. You'd be surprised how many vegetarian and vegan cafes and restaurants are around these days. I'd go as far as saying that the best places I've ever eaten have all been discovered through the app. Essential piece of kit.

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Anyone thinking of extending Veganuary beyond the lockdown and likes to travel, I can't recommend the Happy Cow app enough. You'd be surprised how many vegetarian and vegan cafes and restaurants are around these days. I'd go as far as saying that the best places I've ever eaten have all been discovered through the app. Essential piece of kit.

+1 we found using that on travels really helpful for finding dairy free options for Mrs Q.