Veganuary

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I shall give oat milk a go.

For sausages I have to say you can't go wrong with Linda McCartney Lincolnshire sausages.

For mince I really like Vivera. It keeps a really good texture and doesn't crumble like quorn does.

Where can you get those? Not keen on the standard ones but love the red onion and rosemary. They are my go to ones.

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

Where can you get those? Not keen on the standard ones but love the red onion and rosemary. They are my go to ones.

We get them from Tesco. Lincolnshire are the only ones we have as they're gluten free so suitable for Mrs Q.

My local Indian takeaway has started doing vegan as well, as they've recently changed ownership and got a new chef. They can do all their standard dishes as a vegan option without ghee, and they do a couple of vegan specific dishes. Their jackfruit biriani is bloody amazing.

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

Also I've mentioned these to @Sasperella (I think) before but definitely recommend White Rabbit pizzas for a vegan option. 

I used to get a lot my food out the bins behind Waitrose (i've never eaten so good). One night there was 5 of those pizzas, so like £20+ worth.  I thought they were alright, but personally prefer the vegan own brand ones from Aldi and Co op I think

Edited by Chawk

Just now, Chawk said:

I used to get a lot my food out the bins behind Waitrose (i've never eaten so good). One night there was 5 of those pizzas, so like £20+ worth.  I thought they were alright but the vegan own brand ones from Aldi and Co op are better I think. 

We have to go GF as well for Mrs Q and they're the best ones we've found that tick both boxes, but I'll check out those as well

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Pretty much managed to find decent replacements for everything bar one last thing - Cheese. Wasn't even aware of how much i enjoyed it until i made the switch. Been vegetarian for over a year now and had no trouble with that transition, but cheese, thats a whole new battle. 

Must have tried about 10 different varieties and not a single one has done anything for me. So please, any suggestions, please hit me up. 

Can definitely recommend the applewood smoked vegan cheese.

The violife cheeses I've tried have all been alright, the Tesco vegan cheeses have all been disgusting.

I did have to treat myself to some real cheese at Xmas, has anyone found a good vegan brie?

I'm not really doing veganuary, but I am trying to eat more vegan stuff in general, or at least vegetarian.

Aldi have a really good plant based range, which they keep adding to. I had some chocolate chip cookies from there recently which were delicious! I also really like the fruit gum sweets they've got; it's like watermelon, strawberry, and pineapple.

Im a bit of what you call a meat/animal product snob being a farmers daughter so tend to only eat  if I know where its grown!! 
probably not the right thing to put on a veganuary thread I don't mean to offend anyone!!

what it does mean I tend to explore the vegan and veggie options options in the supermarket more! Tescos plant chef range I really like! Im not very good with protein substitutes so will use beans and pulses alot instead!!! I do find the flavours alot more exciting than the meat based dishes!! 
Ive noticed i drink alot of fruit and herb teas as well!!! Which keep me hydrated better! 
www.birdandblendtea.com      www.candykittens.co.uK       www.daisyanddam.com

10 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Im a bit of what you call a meat/animal product snob being a farmers daughter so tend to only eat  if I know where its grown!! 
probably not the right thing to put on a veganuary thread I don't mean to offend anyone!!

what it does mean I tend to explore the vegan and veggie options options in the supermarket more! Tescos plant chef range I really like! Im not very good with protein substitutes so will use beans and pulses alot instead!!! I do find the flavours alot more exciting than the meat based dishes!! 
Ive noticed i drink alot of fruit and herb teas as well!!! Which keep me hydrated better! 
www.birdandblendtea.com      www.candykittens.co.uK       www.daisyanddam.com

We were (and still will be if it comes to it) fans of going organic and free range with meat in particular. We also have a very good butcher who trace all of their meat to specific farms. That's why we went 90% veggie originally, as we would rather pay more and have it less often.

Cant speak for others but no offense to me. I can still appreciate a good cut and dish of meat, just don't eat it 🙂

I'm vegetarian and the new Rebel BK chicken burgers at Burger King in New Zealand are nicer than the originals. Sadly not vegan (I think they contain egg) but they have a nice spice to them. BK chicken burger patties are so over processed they barely seem like chicken anyway. I think that's why vegan/vege nuggets are impossible to tell from the real thing.

Hope to go dairy free one day, but it'll have to be when they make a good vegan cheese. I've visited the farm my eggs come from and they live their full lives (aka not killed at 2) outside with shelter if they want it, so I don't feel bad about eating them. Would love to one day have my own rescue chickens but don't have the room currently.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

If I had the time I'd quite like to experiment more with making seitan.

Big ups to the seitan crew, never thought to look on facebook recipes. Been making my own for about two years now. It's so much better than tofu, jackfuit, banana blossom etc in everyway and so much more versatile. I've got my method down to two different recipes, depending on what I'm making now. One is a tad softer and is good for fried chicken and steak pies, the other is denser and good for roast joints and stir fry. My partner is particularly addicted to the greek-style lamb roast I do. 

Despite Melbourne being the supposed vegan capital of Australia, I have only ever found one shop selling VWG, and even that stopped selling it around April. Have to order in bulk online now. 

I was alone for christmas, so put a bit of effort into my dinner for one. Decided to make a stuffing and put it inside a chicken-style bit of seitan. Came out amazing. The photo may not look much and the chicken is the wrong colour, but it was 10/10, need to eat again. I have about a quarter of a jar of bisto onion gravy left from my last time in the UK that I now save for special occasions - it was gorgeous. 

DSC_0301.thumb.JPG.8510065d046f6a4be2537eda58124ae1.JPG

7 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

Big ups to the seitan crew, never thought to look on facebook recipes. Been making my own for about two years now. It's so much better than tofu, jackfuit, banana blossom etc in everyway and so much more versatile. I've got my method down to two different recipes, depending on what I'm making now. One is a tad softer and is good for fried chicken and steak pies, the other is denser and good for roast joints and stir fry. My partner is particularly addicted to the greek-style lamb roast I do. 

Despite Melbourne being the supposed vegan capital of Australia, I have only ever found one shop selling VWG, and even that stopped selling it around April. Have to order in bulk online now. 

I was alone for christmas, so put a bit of effort into my dinner for one. Decided to make a stuffing and put it inside a chicken-style bit of seitan. Came out amazing. The photo may not look much and the chicken is the wrong colour, but it was 10/10, need to eat again. I have about a quarter of a jar of bisto onion gravy left from my last time in the UK that I now save for special occasions - it was gorgeous. 

DSC_0301.thumb.JPG.8510065d046f6a4be2537eda58124ae1.JPG

Can you give us a steer with the Sietan recipe? Many years making from gluten it but only ever really been successful with the "Chewy" version.  How you do the softer version?