Georgia... and its Glastonbury history

tevaburger

As one of the few American E-festers, I thought I might give the state of Georgia a bit of a toast today, as it seems to have come through just as it did back in November (and I think it's been over a decade since I last started a thread on here...) 

I was wondering how many Georgia bands/artists have played Glastonbury over the years and if any of you enjoyed some good sets from them, or any regrets of Georgia acts that never made it, but whom would have been a peach to see on the farm (Allman Brothers or any of their offshoots for one...)

I can think of two Georgia bands that have headlined, one of them doing it twice (the REM set in '03 was one of my Glastonbury moments, but eclipsed the next evening) and a Sunday legend who played just 2 years before he passed away 

Here's a non-Georgia guy singing about Georgia on a very hot Friday on the Pyramid in 2010... 

Anyway, just feeling a bit better about America's possibilities for change in 2021 now, just 5 days into the year. Well done, Georgia 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

another one, Chan Marshall (Cat Power) who grew up in Georgia. I was reading this piece of albums that influenced her, and reading about what she says of Nick Cave "the first few times I saw him, I knew there was something great on Earth", and it saddened me to think that she didn't get to see his incredible Pyramid set in 2013 as she was gearing up to play The Park soon after he started (and of course, I'm saddened that I had to miss her then too)

https://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-20/the-music-that-made-cat-powers-chan-marshall/

James Brown - Sunday Tea Time slot.

Did Andre 3000 ever appear? Outcat were booked to play in 2005 but not sure if they turned up.

Cee Lo Green headlined West Holts in (I think it was 2010).

Kanye.

(I'm not looking these up, honest Guv).

Can't believe Arrested Development have never done it.

Larkin Poe, think they are from Georgia. 2016 Avalon stage. Aka The Lovell sisters. Possible they were due again this year but at least we’ve got tickets for their delayed tour in November. Love them. 

Edit. Oops, just seen they’ve been already mentioned by @Tranquility of Solitude

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Larkin Poe, think they are from Georgia. 2016 Avalon stage. Aka The Lovell sisters. Possible they were due again this year but at least we’ve got tickets for their delayed tour in November. Love them. 

Edit. Oops, just seen they’ve been already mentioned by @Tranquility of Solitude

Wow! Tried to seek you out at the eFests meet once (not 2016.... either 2017 or 2019) but you weren’t there. To think we could have had a Caledonian get together in the muddy Avalon tent the year before.

i missed the meet in 2016 as I was still stuck on a 22 hour Edinburgh to Glastonbury bus. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Wow! Tried to seek you out at the eFests meet once (not 2016.... either 2017 or 2019) but you weren’t there. To think we could have had a Caledonian get together in the muddy Avalon tent the year before.

i missed the meet in 2016 as I was still stuck on a 22 hour Edinburgh to Glastonbury bus. 

66887BC5-AD62-4E78-88B7-4AD776DBC3CE.jpeg.924a163db5d2e93dad07a47f8829ee69.jpeg

Can just about make me out at the front behind the mic stand ! And yes like everywhere else the wellies were stuck in the mud! 

9 hours ago, grayfitz said:

Mattiel is from Atlanta..

I wanted to submit this one!

Well, her brother's band, Black Lips, then. They played in 2009, set off firecrackers and were joined by Har Mar Superstar and a stage bunch of plastic pigs' heads, so it says here.

Edited by dentalplan

Can’t add much to the thread in terms of additional Georgian acts that have played Glasto (though I was at some of the sets mentioned). REM however remain my favourite band (have been since about Life’s Rich Pageant). Was at a conference in Atlanta a couple of years ago and had the Saturday afternoon free...went on a bit of a Pilgrimage (geddit?) to Athens...

E8CA6C7C-0C23-42CB-9D81-04D131E0F820.jpeg

6384F7C2-E744-46C8-91FB-6769528CEE41.jpeg

347AC5EF-03BB-4000-9E74-D423EC838B84.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 1:23 AM, Toilet Duck said:

Can’t add much to the thread in terms of additional Georgian acts that have played Glasto (though I was at some of the sets mentioned). REM however remain my favourite band (have been since about Life’s Rich Pageant). Was at a conference in Atlanta a couple of years ago and had the Saturday afternoon free...went on a bit of a Pilgrimage (geddit?) to Athens...

E8CA6C7C-0C23-42CB-9D81-04D131E0F820.jpeg

6384F7C2-E744-46C8-91FB-6769528CEE41.jpeg

347AC5EF-03BB-4000-9E74-D423EC838B84.jpeg

Lovely!  At least you managed to get to the USA, unlike others from Ireland

D1C6305B-1606-45C0-BDCB-97004EAF592F.gif.43af035971e75af4b23ad5cc7a07e295.gif

Father Ted desperate to go to LA ! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris