Club Covid

henry bear

Have to say, I’ve been impressed with the test and trace system ever since my positive test. 
Must have received a call of 4 or 5 days of my 7 days isolation so far. Just check up ones, seeing how my symptoms are, if I need any help with shopping or finances etc. All people I’ve spoken to have been friendly and helpful too. 

6 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Flatmate received a positive test on Saturday so we’re amidst a 10 day isolation. Keeping away in my bedroom and sent a test off today for myself. Think I have a very slight sore throat but don’t know if it’s hypochondria. Feel like I’m living in a Petri dish at the minute 

that's pretty much how it is here.

With added "it must be a false positive", soon followed by "I think I'm ill" as well as "perhaps I'm not ill".

Bloody contrary women. 😛 

On 1/16/2021 at 9:41 AM, st dan said:

Have to say, I’ve been impressed with the test and trace system ever since my positive test. 
Must have received a call of 4 or 5 days of my 7 days isolation so far. Just check up ones, seeing how my symptoms are, if I need any help with shopping or finances etc. All people I’ve spoken to have been friendly and helpful too. 

Yeah I had really good experience as well.  I had a different person call each time, but I do wonder whether you're noted in the system as someone who responds well to contact.  I made an effort to answer, have a chat with them and give as much info as they needed so I wonder if that led to more calls as they knew they weren't going to get ignored or get an earful!

10 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Flatmate received a positive test on Saturday so we’re amidst a 10 day isolation. Keeping away in my bedroom and sent a test off today for myself. Think I have a very slight sore throat but don’t know if it’s hypochondria. Feel like I’m living in a Petri dish at the minute 

All I'd say is keep an eye, as mine was a slight sore throat.  The taste thing probably happened 2 or 3 days later. Fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

that's pretty much how it is here.

With added "it must be a false positive", soon followed by "I think I'm ill" as well as "perhaps I'm not ill".

Bloody contrary women. 😛 

Did you manage to sort your online shopping, or did someone have to help you with it in the end? 😛

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah I had really good experience as well.  I had a different person call each time, but I do wonder whether you're noted in the system as someone who responds well to contact. 

I answered third attempt on my day of being positive and was fairly blunt (it was Christmas Day), and they didn’t ring again until my final day of isolation.

They obviously noted ‘Prick’ down next to my name.

2 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I answered third attempt on my day of being positive and was fairly blunt (it was Christmas Day), and they didn’t ring again until my final day of isolation.

They obviously noted ‘Prick’ down next to my name.

I'm not saying they didn't but.... 😄

We had results on the 27th and I got my first call about 8:30 on the 28th.  My initial reaction was "piss off and leave me alone" but then I figured that the poor bugger's doing this over the Christmas period so it's not like he's going to be thrilled about it either!

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good stuff. Guessing both still feeling pretty much fine from the am I / aren't I ill thing?

I'm good, tho have slight sore throat. The wife feels a bit rough but nothing severe, ditto for the slaughter. The slaughter had to book a test this morning cos her work wants to know if she was (is) positive and she tried to book one for me but computer said no.

Bit of a bummer if I end up having a positive test further down the line as I need to help my mother move house before the middle of Feb. 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm good, tho have slight sore throat. The wife feels a bit rough but nothing severe, ditto for the slaughter. The slaughter had to book a test this morning cos her work wants to know if she was (is) positive and she tried to book one for me but computer said no.

Bit of a bummer if I end up having a positive test further down the line as I need to help my mother move house before the middle of Feb. 

Fingers crossed bud, hope you all feel better soon. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Isolation is 10 days from when your symptoms start or from your test date if you have no symptoms.  

I would say it’s from when you started with a sore throat. 

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not trying to be awkward towards the rules but I don't believe that to be covid symptoms. It might be, but there's stronger reasons to put it down to other things.

It depends on when you take the test I think. My sore throat started (I think) just beforehand, but my isolation was taken from the date of the positive test.

18 hours ago, Quark said:

It depends on when you take the test I think. My sore throat started (I think) just beforehand, but my isolation was taken from the date of the positive test.

i've no plans to take a test.

I would have done if test & trace would let me book one yesterday but they told me I'd be wasting NHS resources. Apparently, Dido Harding isn't. 

So now I have my fingers crossed I don't have reason to take a test as it could fuck up my mum's house sale.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

i've no plans to take a test.

I would have done if test & trace would let me book one yesterday but they told me I'd be wasting NHS resources. Apparently, Dido Harding isn't. 

So now I have my fingers crossed I don't have reason to take a test as it could fuck up my mum's house sale.

To be sure though, aren’t you best taking a test now to confirm either way?

Hopefully it comes back negative and there is nothing to worry about. But if you are positive (and hopefully have minimal symptoms) then worst case you will be allowed out of isolation 10 days after the positive test result.
And you then know for certain you’ll be free from February onwards (assuming cough/temperature had gone, if they even appeared at all). 

We got our son tested for the same reason and for his nursery - worst case he would test positive after our 10 days isolation ended, and we’d then have to start it all again!

1 minute ago, st dan said:

To be sure though, aren’t you best taking a test now to confirm either way?

it won't let me have a test unless I lie and say I have symptoms.

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Hopefully it comes back negative and there is nothing to worry about.

apart from worrying about testing positive at an even later date.

I don't really see the benefit in doing a test before having symptoms, plus I'd rather go about it the 'approved' way as I can't take the risk of having covid when moving my mum (yes, i know she's just had it so in-theory won't get it again) so from that point of view a later test is better.

A question for all those who lost their smell - did you regain it slowly over a number of days/weeks? Or did it come back fully with a ‘bang’ one morning?

Been almost 2 weeks now for me and I’m just about regaining very very faint smells of strong smelling things. Just want some reassurance that it will continue to gradually come back and I’m not just left with this!

25 minutes ago, st dan said:

A question for all those who lost their smell - did you regain it slowly over a number of days/weeks? Or did it come back fully with a ‘bang’ one morning?

Been almost 2 weeks now for me and I’m just about regaining very very faint smells of strong smelling things. Just want some reassurance that it will continue to gradually come back and I’m not just left with this!

Mine was gradual, and I'd say it's now at 90%. That's taken just over 3 weeks.

Mrs Q's is taking a bit longer.  It's like seeing something from the corner of your eye; she'll smell something in passing, but if she then goes back to try and consciously smell it she doesn't always get it.

I read somewhere that the nerves that control smell continuously die and regenerate, but something about covid basically wipes them out in one it and they take time to regenerate. Like all things it varies from person to person, so it takes some people longer than others. There's a Grauniad article on it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/dec/05/anosmia-how-covid-brought-loss-of-smell-centre-stage

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Mine was gradual, and I'd say it's now at 90%. That's taken just over 3 weeks.

Mrs Q's is taking a bit longer.  It's like seeing something from the corner of your eye; she'll smell something in passing, but if she then goes back to try and consciously smell it she doesn't always get it.

I read somewhere that the nerves that control smell continuously die and regenerate, but something about covid basically wipes them out in one it and they take time to regenerate. Like all things it varies from person to person, so it takes some people longer than others. There's a Grauniad article on it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/dec/05/anosmia-how-covid-brought-loss-of-smell-centre-stage

Thanks very much - very helpful and reassuring. For now I’ll continue to be thankfully that I still can’t smell my little ones dirty nappies when changing him!!

• 3 weeks later...

I woke up on Sunday with what I thought was a cold but also a slight cough and painful chest. Got tested and it came back positive the next morning. Mrs Hew and Kid Hew are perfectly healthy thankfully but I've barely been out of bed since Monday as just walking down the stairs leaves me breathless. 

• 11 months later...

Bump.

Tl;dr: Got the 'vid. Test and Trace is pretty flawed. Feels like lockdown again for me.

Tested +ve on Tuesday morning. Was all packed up and ready to go to work. 

I've had excruciating chest spasms for weeks but was testing -ve and after cautionary chest x-rays, an ECG and a blood test were all "not a heart attack" I was diagnosed with costochondritus (no, me neither).

As I can't take NSAIDS/ibuprofen was given some cream. Seemed to be doing the trick but now the pains are back and I'm wondering whether it was the 'vid all along or if the cream's stopped working.

I've no other symptoms to speak of. Slight headache maybe.

Had bad experience(s) with Test and Trace.

Reported the +ve test and was directed to fill out a form. The website refused to acknowledge my work address and wouldn't let me proceed any further.

£40bn and the website's flawed.

So I had to wait for a phone call from them. Phone call came about 24 hours later (so much for urgency). Reception and also appalling echo so bad I had to hang up. Same with next call a few hours later. And then again. Finally went through with the fourth one about 36 hours after first reporting +ve test (still had to keep asking "pardon?" all of the time).

£40bn and their phones are crap (using Voip I was informed).

Now they're obviously working from home and reading from a script. I swear that everyone I've spoken to on the phone (and I had the same thing just over a year ago when my mum had covid) has had a reading age barely above primary school level. It really has been like listening to primary school children struggling to read.

£40bn and they don't make sure people can read properly before employing them?

And they're obviously just filling out the same website that had refused me. We got to place of work and it wouldn't recognise my works postcode again. So the bloke apparently recorded it as No Fixed Abode!? How wrong is that?

And then I wasn't asked any more questions. No, "Who have you been in contact with? Where have you visited?", or anything. That was that. Good job I'd already let everyone and everywhere I'd been in contact with know then.

£40bn quid seems like rather a lot of a waste of our money. Still, better that having nothing in place right? But £40bn?

And now it's day three of five and I feel like I'm back in lockdown again. Except I'm not allowed to go shopping or out at all this time.

Oh, and I've had to cancel at least two counselling sessions that have taken me months to get because of this. Couldn't have come at a worse time. I keep thinking I'm getting better mentally and physically and then something else comes along.

/rant

• 1 month later...

more news today about covid causing blood clots and strokes, so i wonder again if that was me, i dont think so, because i dont think i had covid before my stroke.i'll never know but will keep returning to the idea.