Club Covid

henry bear

Anyone checked in and want to share your thoughts?

In the run up to Christmas my wife lost her sense of smell/taste and the inevitable positive result came in on the 22nd. I was confirmed positive on Christmas Eve and my son on the 26th. It was disappointing as we'd been cautious throughout - disinfecting groceries coming into the house etc, and have no idea where it was caught, but it goes to show how easy it is to catch it at the moment. My wife has a compromised immune system, so it was a worry, but thankfully we all had mild symptoms. I probably had it worse than the others, I felt like I had flu for the first few days, whereas it was more or less just the loss of taste/smell for them. Because we all had it we were reliant on friends/neighbours to help with shopping, and we'd emerge like lepers to pick up the groceries left at the front door. 

I've a friend who's a doctor in a hospital, and they're having a very rough time of it at the moment. He said one of the frustrating things with this illness is that it's not easy to predict who's likely to get it worse than others. He's seen many cases whereby people with no underlying health issues have perished; it seems very random. I'm thankful we got through it ok. 

Yarp, positive tests on Boxing Day for me and Mrs Q. Drive through jobbie, nice lady stuck stuff up my nose, results in 24 hours. Allowed back out this morning, which was nice.

Pretty low level tbh.  My only issue has been the taste and smell thing, although taste hasn't gone 100%. Getting hints of stuff, but smelling absolutely nothing. Mrs Q had a monster sore throat and fatigue, plus the taste and smell.

Largely OK now, just figuring out whether we're fatigued or just too used to sitting on the sofa doing bugger all.

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Anyone checked in and want to share your thoughts?

In the run up to Christmas my wife lost her sense of smell/taste and the inevitable positive result came in on the 22nd. I was confirmed positive on Christmas Eve and my son on the 26th. It was disappointing as we'd been cautious throughout - disinfecting groceries coming into the house etc, and have no idea where it was caught, but it goes to show how easy it is to catch it at the moment. My wife has a compromised immune system, so it was a worry, but thankfully we all had mild symptoms. I probably had it worse than the others, I felt like I had flu for the first few days, whereas it was more or less just the loss of taste/smell for them. Because we all had it we were reliant on friends/neighbours to help with shopping, and we'd emerge like lepers to pick up the groceries left at the front door. 

I've a friend who's a doctor in a hospital, and they're having a very rough time of it at the moment. He said one of the frustrating things with this illness is that it's not easy to predict who's likely to get it worse than others. He's seen many cases whereby people with no underlying health issues have perished; it seems very random. I'm thankful we got through it ok. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Yarp, positive tests on Boxing Day for me and Mrs Q. Drive through jobbie, nice lady stuck stuff up my nose, results in 24 hours. Allowed back out this morning, which was nice.

Pretty low level tbh.  My only issue has been the taste and smell thing, although taste hasn't gone 100%. Getting hints of stuff, but smelling absolutely nothing. Mrs Q had a monster sore throat and fatigue, plus the taste and smell.

Largely OK now, just figuring out whether we're fatigued or just too used to sitting on the sofa doing bugger all.

Glad you both report only mild cases in your respective households, still, get well soon and look after you and yours.

Get well soon all! Think I'm going to get a test this week if I can. I don't really think I have it, but I have had a sore throat for a few days and feel a bit under the weather. I'm on the Zoe tracker thing and reporting a sore throat has triggered them suggesting I get tested so figure I may as well as all data for them.

I'll be amazed if I have it as have been nowhere but the supermarket very occasionally since mid December. But you never know...

I had it back in March last year, very very lucky to only have had mild symptoms, didn’t stop me working (I work from home normally) and genuinely thought it was a bit of hangover! The fatigue stayed for a long time though and I still randomly get a cough every now and then but that could be completely unrelated. 

Parents both have it now and are feeling it big time, particularly with severe nausea (not heard of this before?) and muscular aches. 

19 minutes ago, mike46 said:

I had it back in March last year, very very lucky to only have had mild symptoms, didn’t stop me working (I work from home normally) and genuinely thought it was a bit of hangover! The fatigue stayed for a long time though and I still randomly get a cough every now and then but that could be completely unrelated. 

Parents both have it now and are feeling it big time, particularly with severe nausea (not heard of this before?) and muscular aches. 

We had a mild-level nausea, which still comes and goes, as do headaches, muscular pains and fatigue. Regarding the latter, I'm ok as long as keep going but as soon as I sit down to watch TV, I'm struggling. Glad to get out of isolation though.

Our household all had it in November (confirmed positive tests), no coughs or high temperatures just cold symptoms. Then we went down hill with fatigue really fast and were absolutely wiped out. It also caused nausea from the lack of taste and smell which was odd and I had extreme toothache as dental abscesses appeared - that was fun to the point I was googling home tooth extraction in the middle of the night. 
We are all ok now, all have had a degree of post viral fatigue I guess. 
We are all reasonably healthy but the way it exploits any weaknesses you have left me in no doubt just how dangerous this is.

Take care.

Wife and I (she mid 40s, me late) both had it from mid December.  Thankfully, mild symptoms.  She lost her sense of taste, and had flu like symptoms, including fatigue, I had flu like symptoms, fatigue and nausea.  Both recovered just before Xmas, with occasional tiredness now.  Our sons (19-26) reported headaches and temperature, but nothing more than that (all 3 self isolated).

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Get well soon all! Think I'm going to get a test this week if I can. I don't really think I have it, but I have had a sore throat for a few days and feel a bit under the weather. I'm on the Zoe tracker thing and reporting a sore throat has triggered them suggesting I get tested so figure I may as well as all data for them.

I'll be amazed if I have it as have been nowhere but the supermarket very occasionally since mid December. But you never know...

Sore throat definitely worth checking. That's how Mrs Q's started, and was the only (very mild) symptom I had before I got tested. Taste and smell didn't come until later.

Anecdotally I have a friend who is a teacher in London, and he's said that a few of his colleagues who tested positive reported a throat as the first symptom.  Might be linked to this new variant, especially as it appears to be really easy to catch! Fingers crossed.

58 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sore throat definitely worth checking. That's how Mrs Q's started, and was the only (very mild) symptom I had before I got tested. Taste and smell didn't come until later.

Anecdotally I have a friend who is a teacher in London, and he's said that a few of his colleagues who tested positive reported a throat as the first symptom.  Might be linked to this new variant, especially as it appears to be really easy to catch! Fingers crossed.

Thanks for that - I've booked a postal test!

My husband had a bit of a cough before Christmas and booked a postal test by the time the test arrived it was obvious it was just a cold as he was really snotty but did it anyway and as we did a doorstep present drop off for his Mum who is in the vulnerable category it was good going knowing that he'd had a negative result. 

Way before COVID was even a thing back in November 2019 I got a virus that was suspiciously like COVID in that a bit of a temperature and a really annoying dry cough were my only symptoms. The cough lasted ages as in from November until about February time. In fact it seemed to bugger off around the same time that the symptoms of COVID were being talked about. I know of at least 3 other people who had something similar to me. Guess I'll always wonder if it has been around longer than we thought and whether I had it. I know there are some news reports saying that they think it might have been.  

Sad to hear so many have been diagnosed recently. Hope you all make a speedy recovery and have the mildest of versions. 

My best friend has been diagnosed with it after his daughter brought it home from her primary school before the holidays so much for those schools being safe!! 

Just been for a drive through test after getting a sore throat and my tonsils are swollen with some dots so I've definitely got tonsillitis but the symptom app suggested getting tested so I thought I may as well to be sure. 

I've been into work once on Monday and otherwise haven't been into another building since xmas day so if I've picked up anything it would have had to have been from Monday. I work in an office by myself (in a wider business centre) but barely spoke to anyone! If I am positive the new strain must be a lot more transmissible!! 

I'm surprised I've even manged to pick up tonsillitis, my immune system must be not used to other people and their germs! 

I felt as bad as I had since symptoms began on Friday this morning.

Couldn’t get out of bed.

I have since then perked up although have a splitting headache and finding I can’t concentrate on anything. Keep forgetting why I’m doing whatever it is I’ve just started!

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I felt as bad as I had since symptoms began on Friday this morning.

Couldn’t get out of bed.

I have since then perked up although have a splitting headache and finding I can’t concentrate on anything. Keep forgetting why I’m doing whatever it is I’ve just started!

Are you dehydrated?  Some rehydration salts may help if you can get some, otherwise flat cola with a teaspoon of table salt will be as good.

All our household had it at the start of December. All better now, main things for me was cramp when walking up the stairs and a fever. I did few a big foggy and for a few days towards the end my eyes were struggling (I declined to drive 60 miles to test them)

I have an appointment in 2 weeks for and antibody test to donate plasma 

The title 'Club Covid' reminds me of ' Bugchasing'.

Don't know what it is? Here you go;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugchasing

I'm not saying it is the same (please note), just that it reminds me of reading about 'Bugchasing'. 

Oh, and no, no I have never sought out 'infection' from either. And nor would I. I relish a dick up my arse like I relish a deathly dose of covid 19.

Well, you know the score - I'm old fashioned with old fashioned values, me!

11 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

All our household had it at the start of December. All better now, main things for me was cramp when walking up the stairs and a fever. I did few a big foggy and for a few days towards the end my eyes were struggling (I declined to drive 60 miles to test them)

I have an appointment in 2 weeks for and antibody test to donate plasma 

How do you get involved with this?

I’d be interested once recovered.

hope you're all ok and feeling better (or at least starting to!)

I've not had it, to my knowledge, yet! But one of my work friends tested positive over Xmas and is doing her isolation. She had a bad cough and just felt generally rubbish but thankfully nothing worse than that. Other than going to work and the supermarket she hasnt been anywhere else.

Went for the first post-covid run last night, kept it short and pretty slow in case I ended up with some of the fatigue symptoms and didn't want to run the risk of burning myself out. Happily didn't feel too bad (apart from having been sat on my arse for the last 3 weeks) and no noticeable effects this morning.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

How do you get involved with this?

I’d be interested once recovered.

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/covid-19-research/plasma-donors/who-can-donate-plasma/ 

It has a criteria that you have to fulfil. If you are on the small side then you are unlikely to be able to. One of my friends has donated plasma 4 or 5 times now but another tried to donate and was told they didn't weigh enough.