Songs you didn't see but take you to Glastonbury

Tartan_Glasto

One of my extremely minor 'claim to fames' is that I'm credited with singing on Elbows second album.  In 2002ish they played Glastonbury and recorded the crowd singing Grace Under Pressure.  Before Cast Of Thousands was released they wanted to credit anyone who was at their performance for singing on the album so asked if you were there you to email them.   Hence me and my mate 'Tubs' are included in the sleeve notes.  'Tubs' would have preferred I'd used his real name but I was easily amused in my youth.  For this and many other reasons Elbow are always a must whenever they're at Glastonbury.

edit - (apologies, just realised this is the exact opposite of this threads purpose.  I was focused on the bands/songs in the thread rather than why they're there)    

Edited by SheffJeff
I'm a dickhead.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:10 AM, Spindles said:

It was a magical night and I've watched the BBC footage a few times since.  I wasn't going to bother with them, everyone I knew who'd ever seen them told me it had been a snorefes but at the last minute I thought sod it, why not?  I think it was about 3 or 4 songs in that I realised that either something was going very right that night or everyone who'd ever told me they were dull was wrong.  The sound was SO strong, probably the best I've heard on an outdoor stage in 30+ years of gigs.  I've had a few great finishes to Glastonbury over the years (and a few crap ones) but for the gig that would have to tide me over til who knows when I don't think I could ask for better.

Something about the sound for that performance is just incredible. The cleanest and best sounding gig I think I've ever seen on TV, it almost sounds like they're miming because of how full it sounds. 

The horrible thing of watching my favourite band headline the best festival in the world was quickly extinguished because it sounded THAT good. 

The vast, swathe, of humanity, almost everyone that is alive, did not see this. There were at most 100 - 150 of us there at around 2am on the Sunday morning when Tank and the Bangas played Glastonbury in 2019.

What a show. A bit like this.

Anyone who was at Glastonbury 2009 will always remember Billie Jean, Beat It or The Way You Make Me Feel (not Thriller, strangely) being played by every food concession, retail outlet or ice cream van (OK, I made it up about the ice cream vans). Whenever I hear any songs by Kiddyfiddler Jackson it always takes me back to Glastonbury that year.  A pre-WhatsApp time and the weird way that news like that was slowly disseminated around 200,000 people.  

So this is a bit random and really has nothing to do with the festival (though I’m sure Johnny Flynn has probably played, I’ve just not seen him when he has!). But for some unknown reason, the entire show of Detectorists reminds me of Glasto. Maybe it’s the rolling English countryside at the start of it, or just that it full of nice (but slightly odd!) people, but it’s what it stirs up in me. It’s one of the best things I’ve watched and I can’t help feeling that part of my love for it was because I got this overwhelming Glastonbury feeling whenever I watched it. Now whenever I hear the theme, I think of Glastonbury and not the show. Now I’m gonna have to go and watch it again!

24 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Anyone who was at Glastonbury 2009 will always remember Billie Jean, Beat It or The Way You Make Me Feel (not Thriller, strangely) being played by every food concession, retail outlet or ice cream van (OK, I made it up about the ice cream vans). Whenever I hear any songs by Kiddyfiddler Jackson it always takes me back to Glastonbury that year.  A pre-WhatsApp time and the weird way that news like that was slowly disseminated around 200,000 people.  

As it happens, it was a bloke in an ice cream van that told me MJ had died! Was about 4 in the morning and I’d been introduced to this amazing werthers original vodka by some kind stranger up by the stone circle...lovely stuff (not my words, the words of Shakin’ Steven’s)...

8 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

As it happens, it was a bloke in an ice cream van that told me MJ had died! Was about 4 in the morning and I’d been introduced to this amazing werthers original vodka by some kind stranger up by the stone circle...lovely stuff (not my words, the words of Shakin’ Steven’s)...

I was working in the ambulance near Park Home M/C when was told around 1700 . The people’s reaction of sadness around I shall never forget. Like has been said all you could hear around the site were his songs.

3 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

I was working in the ambulance near Park Home M/C when was told around 1700 . The people’s reaction of sadness around I shall never forget. Like has been said all you could hear around the site were his songs.

It was one of those, is it real? moments alright (every year there were rumours that someone had died). Don’t know how I didn’t actually find out til the wee hours though, seems that half the site knew about 12 hours before me (the lovely stuff above was about the werthers vodka by the way, not about MJ!). 

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2021 at 1:08 AM, Toilet Duck said:

So this is a bit random and really has nothing to do with the festival (though I’m sure Johnny Flynn has probably played, I’ve just not seen him when he has!). But for some unknown reason, the entire show of Detectorists reminds me of Glasto. Maybe it’s the rolling English countryside at the start of it, or just that it full of nice (but slightly odd!) people, but it’s what it stirs up in me. It’s one of the best things I’ve watched and I can’t help feeling that part of my love for it was because I got this overwhelming Glastonbury feeling whenever I watched it. Now whenever I hear the theme, I think of Glastonbury and not the show. Now I’m gonna have to go and watch it again!

I absolutely get what you mean. Weirdly, my boyfriend and I were watching it for the first time last year around and over the time I should have been at Glasto.

But aside from that, I think as you say it's the rolling countryside, and I think the slight hint of magic and mysticism of finding these things from times long past. Particularly the opening of season 2, with the 'flashback' with the anglo saxon. Easy to imagine such a time around the Tor.

Also, probably just something about being completely at peace and in your happy place, in a field 🙂

Damn. Now I want to watch it again!

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Also, probably just something about being completely at peace and in your happy place, in a field 

🙂

That’s it!!!

Such a fantastic series, I absolutely loved it, beautifully written, acted and filmed. Definitely going to have to watch it again now!