Songs you didn't see but take you to Glastonbury

Tartan_Glasto

Just listening to some tunes when Dead Boys by Sam Fender comes on and it instantly takes me back to Glastonbury...however, I never saw Sam Fender at Glastonbury. I don;'t know if this song was maybe used in some Glastonbury footage somewhere or if I've just had some outer body experience!

Anyone else have any songs that remind you of Glastonbury despite not seeing live while there?

34 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This, always this. 

Yes I remember seeing them live the last proper fallow year and I started crying when they played this because I knew I wasn't going to have my One Day Like This that year. I'm not sure I could even press play on that at the moment!!

"One Day Like This" by Elbow is probably the quintessential Glastonbury anthem for the 2010s and arguably the festival as a whole. Actually, I wonder what the definitive 20-track Glastonbury anthems album would consist of? Would make a good thread.

The one tune I've never heard played at the festival but instantly takes me there is "That's the Way" by Led Zeppelin. It just reminds me of a balmy Wednesday night, up at the Stone Circle with friends, sitting in the long grass (yet to be trampled by a million feet), watching the most beautiful sunset over the vale of Avalon and everything coming to life with the promise of life changing, care-free days and nights ahead... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

"One Day Like This" by Elbow is probably the quintessential Glastonbury anthem for the 2010s and arguably the festival as a whole. Actually, I wonder what the definitive 20-track Glastonbury anthems album would consist of? Would make a good thread.

The one tune I've never heard played at the festival but instantly takes me there is "That's the Way" by Led Zeppelin. It just reminds me of a balmy Wednesday night, up at the Stone Circle with friends, sitting in the long grass (yet to be trampled by a million feet), watching the most beautiful sunset over the vale of Avalon and everything coming to life with the promise of life changing, care-free days and nights ahead... 

dont set me off again 🙂 

20 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Said before and will say it again their set in 2011 literally changed my life forever. Was in a very dark place with my previous marriage and their set just told me to change where I was for a better life. I have thankfully. Had tickets for this years tour, bought for my now wife 50th and can't wait to see them again.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Needs to be at least one Coldplay tune in there. Would go for Yellow seeing as it’s probably the one they’ve played the most.

Tender by Blur would need to be there too.

Karma Police maybe?

• Upvote 1

"Do You Remember the First Time" - Pulp. I still wouldn't get to my first Glastonbury until 2013, but a good friend of mine was there in 2011 and I just remember her being so excited by the prospect of Pulp and then following along all that day when it was confirmed and seeing the footage of the Park absolutely rammed, and then when they came out and opened with this.. it's tied the song indelibly to Glasto in my mind. 

On 1/5/2021 at 2:38 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

This, always this. 

As others have said, definitely this. How many times have Elbow played Glastonbury? Never got to catch them due to shifts and other clashes. Was on shift for the above performance. The one that made me go "wish I was at that", though was the year they performed this track and brought about a hundred violin players on stage to do the riff. Now that was a Glastonbury moment. Think I caught it on telly when I got back. 

Karma Police: 

My favourite band of all time, playing my favourite song of all time, at my favourite place in the world. This song has some kind of sentimental value for me, I wouldn't ever say it's their "best" but it's definitely my favourite, it really clicks with me on another level that very few songs have. At the time I didn't really give a shit about Radiohead, my dad recalls, as he was watching this set live on TV. I was more interested in Sheeran who was on two nights later. My dad had watched Glastonbury for years and years and 2017 was the year he decided that we'd try for tickets for the next festival. It kind of hurts to watch it, it was a great setlist (except the exclusion of Reckoner and All I Need) and had a good dose of OK Computer, also my favourite album of all time. It feels like I narrowly missed them by one festival and I'll have to wait an indefinite amount of time to see them at Glastonbury. Also, The XX as a sub would have been particularly awesome.

All My Friends:

Another one of my favourites. The whole backstory of it being one of the muddiest years to date and everyone being tired and it being the last set of the weekend. Then out walks James Murphy, in a pristine, crisp white suit. They then play an 1h30 of peak LCD Soundsystem, ending with an awesome run of New York I Love You, Dance Yrself Clean and finally All My Friends. It looks like the greatest celebration of all time and a real moment of human connection. I also thought it was pretty cool how there's an audible cheer when he sings "But if your worried about the weather, then you picked the wrong place to stay."

There's definitely a theme in the songs that take me to Glastonbury, with them looking so good they hurt to watch.

One that I did actually see, that takes me back to Glastonbury more than any other song is Plainsong by The Cure, there isn't a standalone video but it was the opening song of their set:

I wasn't super excited for The Cure, I was looking forward to them but they weren't in my Top 5 acts of the weekend that I wanted to go and see. We'd had the best weekend of my life and officially confirmed that Glastonbury was in fact, the greatest place on earth. So, with The Killers the night before, I thought The Cure would just be a bonus on top of a great weekend. But when they opened with Plainsong, something felt pretty special. About halfway through the song, me and my dad looked at each other, and without saying anything, we both knew that this was a really special moment, and going to be an awesome night of music. It felt like something was definitely in the air. All of the songs really clicked with me that night, I'd listened to The Cure before and thought they were good, but not my favourite or anything. But each of the songs really just fell in to place with me, and it's the greatest gig I've ever been to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Miyn said:

It felt like something was definitely in the air. All of the songs really clicked with me that night, I'd listened to The Cure before and thought they were good, but not my favourite or anything. But each of the songs really just fell in to place with me, and it's the greatest gig I've ever been to.

It was a magical night and I've watched the BBC footage a few times since.  I wasn't going to bother with them, everyone I knew who'd ever seen them told me it had been a snorefes but at the last minute I thought sod it, why not?  I think it was about 3 or 4 songs in that I realised that either something was going very right that night or everyone who'd ever told me they were dull was wrong.  The sound was SO strong, probably the best I've heard on an outdoor stage in 30+ years of gigs.  I've had a few great finishes to Glastonbury over the years (and a few crap ones) but for the gig that would have to tide me over til who knows when I don't think I could ask for better.