2021 Going ahead?

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if it goes ahead then no matter what the line-up I can only see a sell-out.

The issue as I see it is that all scenarios have to be at least trialled before the end of the summer, otherwise they keep restrictions until next summer (because of the risk of a winter wave).

The govt has already indicated (leaked) that big crowds for sports will be trialled outdoors in early summer, and that nightclubs are likely to be allowed to open with mass-testing.

I'd say within the boundaries of those, festivals are able to fit (subject to satisfactory trials) - and particularly R/L which has been the lead voice in pushing for testing for events. You never know, R/L might even be the trial event.

Maybe but if its a trial then you are talking restricted crowds. Is it worth them going ahead with say a 60% crowd? Do they even make money at that kind of capacity?

Going to Anfield and watching the football is not remotely close to being in a mosh pit at leeds festival. Theres no goosing that goes on at the football  (that im aware of) where is at a festival....its rife. 

Im not going anyway but for people on here i hope it goes ahead....i just cant see it.

I listened to a podcast with Vicky Hungerford, who is the promoter/organiser of Bloodstock (which is in August), and it was super interesting in that she was talking about several contingency plans the festival have in place to push ahead and make an event work, no matter what the government come out and say, whether that is a UK only bill of bands, a reduced capacity event, a non-camping event. It was a really great listen and gave me some positive feelings towards Bloodstock being able to do something in August. 

I am certain that Reading and Leeds will have been going mad coming up with their own array of plans to make something go ahead depending on government advice/guidance. 

1 hour ago, wghennessy said:

Maybe but if its a trial then you are talking restricted crowds. Is it worth them going ahead with say a 60% crowd? Do they even make money at that kind of capacity?

restricted crowds isn't impossible, but full size is also within the possibilities. After all, there's likely to be tests with smaller crowds before trying a biggie.

1 hour ago, wghennessy said:

Going to Anfield and watching the football is not remotely close to being in a mosh pit at leeds festival. Theres no goosing that goes on at the football  (that im aware of) where is at a festival....its rife. 

Im not going anyway but for people on here i hope it goes ahead....i just cant see it.

Put simply, the public health emergency should be over before the end of August. From what we know at the moment* there doesn't appear to be a good reason why it shouldn't be able to go ahead.
(* trials might change that. But they might not too).

Against that optimism from the facts are govt choices. They might decide to be mega-cautious and decide there shouldn't be big crowds until next year.

I'd say that the govt will not be that cautious, and will attempt to get everything open before the end of summer, knowing that if they don't then things which don't open will not open until next summer at earliest.

That's based on what they've done to date, the political pressure from within the tory party, and the facts (so far) of the vaccine. Plus, their ability to keep a vaccinated population to strict rules (there'll be illegal raves everywhere if there's no officially sanctioned alternatives).

I could still be wrong, because lockdown1's roadmap had nothing about live music (that came later, mid-july I think), so i have concerns that live music will be off their radar this time too.

But the music & entertainment industries have done a good job of shouting for the last year so there's decent reason to hope we might get something useful on Monday.

I'm keeping everything crossed. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I listened to a podcast with Vicky Hungerford, who is the promoter/organiser of Bloodstock (which is in August), and it was super interesting in that she was talking about several contingency plans the festival have in place to push ahead and make an event work, no matter what the government come out and say, whether that is a UK only bill of bands, a reduced capacity event, a non-camping event. It was a really great listen and gave me some positive feelings towards Bloodstock being able to do something in August. 

I am certain that Reading and Leeds will have been going mad coming up with their own array of plans to make something go ahead depending on government advice/guidance. 

Camping isn't going to be a concern. Campsites were the first places to be allowed to open after lockdown1. There's no reason why festivals should be told to not allow camping.
(and in fact the consequences of not-camping are worse, with all those people-movements with inevitable close contacts).

I would think that Melvin is very well connected with govt via his various jobs, so if there's any possibility of an event of R/L's size going ahead he's in the place most likely to make it happen. It seems likely to me that because he's talked about going ahead with testing that if they're still needing to trial a large event by the end of the summer then R/L will be front of the queue.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

You got a link to the podcast would be a nice listen

7 hours ago, foolee said:

I think it only takes around 3-4 weeks to build the site so plenty of time for that. It probably depends more on money commitments than the build. 

That's less time than I thought tbf. So could in theory push it to quite late into proceedings. Whether its comes to that or is just cancelled earlier is of course another matter.

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

That's less time than I thought tbf. So could in theory push it to quite late into proceedings. Whether its comes to that or is just cancelled earlier is of course another matter.

I live within walking distance and you can pretty much see the tops of the tents from my house and the R1 tent pretty much goes up the Monday of the festival. The main stage goes up like a month bit less before, but yh it doesn’t take long at all

I’m probably over simplifying but would have thought 98% recovery rate + vaccines for the vulnerable and whoever else wants it + effective treatments = normal life again and we seem to be almost there already with all of that. We just need the government to get over the fear and let R & L happen.

44 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

August 2021. You and your mates belt out "OH WHAT BECAME OF THE LIKELY LADS!" at the top of your voice. You just finished a warm beer that's been sitting in your tent all day. Life is good

The absolute dream. (never would of said that prior to everything)

On 2/19/2021 at 4:58 AM, wghennessy said:

Its not just about the people going...its about the artists coming in and varying strains of the virus. They could for eg ban flight from the states or expect people to quarantine.

Hope not, I’m flying in from the states on the Thursday, so hoping there won’t even be quarantine for the vaccinated!

On 2/19/2021 at 5:01 AM, eFestivals said:

Fingers crossed, the govt will say when festivals can restart on Monday and R/L planning can proceed with confidence.

My guess is that they'll lose a number of international acts and will fill the gaps with UK acts - which shouldn't be difficult in the circumstances.

Everything swings on what Spaffer says on Monday. 

I’m enjoying ‘spacer’, think I’ll start using that. 

there will deffo be no problem filling the bill, or selling out if required. 

There will be a shit tonne of bands desperate for any kind of pay day, who’s contractual obligations to other festivals will no longer exist. Could be a truly epic lineup, if lacking a little variety. 

3 hours ago, NoBuses said:

August 2021. You and your mates belt out "OH WHAT BECAME OF THE LIKELY LADS!" at the top of your voice. You just finished a warm beer that's been sitting in your tent all day. Life is good

Do you know where on the lineup The Libs are down to play? My guess has been subbing Catfish since it was first brought up. 

I'm thinking we are going to be in a position where RandL could of gone ahead safely BUT..... They will cancel as they need clarity and that won't be given until much closer like July and it will be too soon.. Just my opinion and I hope by some miracle this happens as I am missing the boat trip from Staff to Green so much!! 

3 hours ago, NoBuses said:

I know this is the only non-lineup thread and we're now discussing lineup but The Libs are down to headline Bingley Weekender (which is closer to Leeds than Leeds Festival is) three weeks before the festival. So I am inclined to believe the info you have been given on that one is wrong. Doesn't make much sense for the lineups to cross over like that.

1 minute ago, StuMalinas said:

I'm thinking we are going to be in a position where RandL could of gone ahead safely BUT..... They will cancel as they need clarity and that won't be given until much closer like July and it will be too soon.. Just my opinion and I hope by some miracle this happens as I am missing the boat trip from Staff to Green so much!! 

If next week sees an outlined plan for resumption of normal life throughout the year then they can certainly start planning ahead and hold on until June for a go/no-go decision. And it seems that by June we will be not far off some kind of normality. All to be laid out in the coming few days.

could very well be wrong, hope they are there though as it'd be a good singalong 

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I know this is the only non-lineup thread and we're now discussing lineup but The Libs are down to headline Bingley Weekender (which is closer to Leeds than Leeds Festival is) three weeks before the festival. So I am inclined to believe the info you have been given on that one is wrong. Doesn't make much sense for the lineups to cross over like that.

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Do you know where on the lineup The Libs are down to play? My guess has been subbing Catfish since it was first brought up. 

I was thinking sobbing is too high now for Catfish but I'm guessing they would play 3rd. Then Catfish and then Stormzy?

48 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

If that happens then it'll take until 3 weeks into August for the process of the vaccine to do it's work. So the festival has to be entirely sure by well before that this is the case.

And also the minute any of these lifts result in a surge of cases as people will stretch the boundaries then we are back locked again.

I think it's way too quick to decide on the end of March now. To really get a huge amount of these numbers down we need to see the 18s to 40s vaccines.

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I was thinking sobbing is too high now for Catfish but I'm guessing they would play 3rd. Then Catfish and then Stormzy?

If that happens then it'll take until 3 weeks into August for the process of the vaccine to do it's work. So the festival has to be entirely sure by well before that this is the case.

And also the minute any of these lifts result in a surge of cases as people will stretch the boundaries then we are back locked again.

I think it's way too quick to decide on the end of March now. To really get a huge amount of these numbers down we need to see the 18s to 40s vaccines.

Catfish are already headlining one of the stages mate, I meant Stormzy would play after Catfish on the other main stage