2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

53 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

RE: Harry Styles, just read an article which says he currently has a 5 movie deal with Marvel, and has signed another deal with Netflix, alongside a couple of other movies he has already signed for.

Could he be busy filming for the next 5 summers say, so it really is now or never in terms of Glastonbury, and so he wouldn't necessarily wait out to headline, and just take a sub slot now knowing how culturally significant Glastonbury is?

We can only hope.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Marvel dabbing down by committing to a quintet of movies starring Starfox and Pip the Troll.

To be fair if they aren't in such a rush they might go beyond the old Terry Gilliam cut up bits of paper animation technique for Pip.

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

RE: Harry Styles, just read an article which says he currently has a 5 movie deal with Marvel, and has signed another deal with Netflix, alongside a couple of other movies he has already signed for.

Could he be busy filming for the next 5 summers say, so it really is now or never in terms of Glastonbury, and so he wouldn't necessarily wait out to headline, and just take a sub slot now knowing how culturally significant Glastonbury is?

Would be strange for him to count himself out from a summer tour for 5 years. I don’t think it will be that extreme. 

I’ve been having a read and it looks like Macca’s Belgium gigs could be announced shortly. It would line up with Glastonbury dropping a name in the next week or so ahead of the balance payment window. I would expect Macca is leaving it as long as he can before announcing dates, as he’s probably not worried about how they will sell. They will go in a flash even if he announced them 6 weeks in advance.

As some others have suggested I’m leaning towards Billie, Harry, Macca being the headliners as Kendrick doesn’t look to be using the Super Bowl as a big promotional opportunity. He didn’t attend the press conference and it feels very quiet from him. Maybe he’s popping out to perform humble as a studio break. Maybe the Super Bowl was agreed when he was lining up all of his summer festivals but his material isn’t ready. Much harder to pull out of the Super Bowl than it is to pull out of an unannounced tour. Especially if the expectation is only a few minutes of activity from him and he doesn’t need new material. With his summer dates fans would expect some new material.

With putting Harry on Saturday and Macca on Sunday it would result in a bit of a lineup reshuffle. Emily’s interview sounded like some movement was happening. Here is what I can see;

Dua moving from Saturday other headliner to before Billie works. Move PSB to Saturday against Harry, and maybe they could book someone big against Macca to split the crowds in lieu of Dua.

Doja Cat is an option. She is available and taking headline slots at festivals she plays, but also taking sub spots at festivals like longitude and Coachella. Like Megan, her positions are flexible and as long as she’s near the upper end of the lineup she would do it. Another suggestion goes out to @Somto Unigwe Raphael that J Cole could headline the other on the Sunday. The Other has booked hiphop/rap headliners before and I think she would be a good one to split Macca’s crowd. They had Boy Better Know headline other on the Sunday in 2017. Could be something they do. Perhaps when they realised Kendrick would fall through they looked for contemporaries to put on the lineup to make the loss look a bit sweeter? I do wonder though what kind of crowd J Cole could pull headlining a stage. I may be out of touch but my assumption is he is far far bigger in the states and hasn’t got the same following in the UK.

Bringing a few suggestions together I think this would be a solid effort. 

Pyramid

Fri - Billie Eilish // Dua Lipa // Elbow // Olivia Rodrigo // Kacey Musgraves

Sat - Harry Styles // Noel Gallagher // HAIM // Robert Plant 

Sun - Paul McCartney // Jack White // Lorde // Diana Ross // The Specials // Crowded House // Herbie Hancock // Black Dyke Band

Other:

Fri - Foals // Wolf Alice // Anderson Paak // Blossoms

Sat - Pet Shop Boys // Megan Thee Stallion // Fontaines DC // Mabel

Sun - Doja Cat (or J Cole) // AJ Tracey // Sam Fender // Idles

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Would be strange for him to count himself out from a summer tour for 5 years. I don’t think it will be that extreme. 

I’ve been having a read and it looks like Macca’s Belgium gigs could be announced shortly. It would line up with Glastonbury dropping a name in the next week or so ahead of the balance payment window. I would expect Macca is leaving it as long as he can before announcing dates, as he’s probably not worried about how they will sell. They will go in a flash even if he announced them 6 weeks in advance.

As some others have suggested I’m leaning towards Billie, Harry, Macca being the headliners as Kendrick doesn’t look to be using the Super Bowl as a big promotional opportunity. He didn’t attend the press conference and it feels very quiet from him. Maybe he’s popping out to perform humble as a studio break. Maybe the Super Bowl was agreed when he was lining up all of his summer festivals but his material isn’t ready. Much harder to pull out of the Super Bowl than it is to pull out of an unannounced tour. Especially if the expectation is only a few minutes of activity from him and he doesn’t need new material. With his summer dates fans would expect some new material.

With putting Harry on Saturday and Macca on Sunday it would result in a bit of a lineup reshuffle. Emily’s interview sounded like this was happening. Here is what I can see;

Dua moving from Saturday other headliner to before Billie works. Move PSB to Saturday against Harry, and maybe they could book someone big against Macca to split the crowds in lieu of Dua.

Doja Cat is an option. She is available and taking headline slots at festivals she plays, but also taking sub spots at festivals like longitude and Coachella. Like Megan, her positions are flexible and as long as she’s near the upper end of the lineup she would do it. Another suggestion goes out to @Somto Unigwe Raphael that J Cole could headline the other on the Sunday. The Other has booked hiphop/rap headliners before and I think she would be a good one to split Macca’s crowd. They had Boy Better Know headline other on the Sunday in 2017. Could be something they do. Perhaps when they realised Kendrick would fall through they looked for contemporaries to put on the lineup to make the loss look a bit sweeter? I do wonder though what kind of crowd J Cole could pull headlining a stage. I may be out of touch but my assumption is he is far far bigger in the states and hasn’t got the same following in the UK.

Bringing a few suggestions together I think this would be a solid effort. 

Pyramid

Fri - Billie Eilish // Dua Lipa // Elbow // Olivia Rodrigo // Kacey Musgraves

Sat - Harry Styles // Noel Gallagher // HAIM // Robert Plant 

Sun - Paul McCartney // Jack White // Lorde // Diana Ross // The Specials // Crowded House // Herbie Hancock // Black Dyke Band

Other:

Fri - Foals // Wolf Alice // Anderson Paak // Blossoms

Sat - Pet Shop Boys // Megan Thee Stallion // Fontaines DC // Mabel

Sun - Doja Cat (or J Cole) // AJ Tracey // Sam Fender // Idles

Not IDLES.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Oh yeah?? Where’s this info? Sounds very promising.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Oh yeah?? Where’s this info? Sounds very promising.

https://forum.festileaks.com/forums/rock-werchter-forum.5/

A mix of posts across these forums.

Second TW Classic date (no confirmed date) in advanced discussions with their headliner.

Werchter Boutique June 18th tba

Other names thrown around include the Weeknd but I am slightly doubtful of that. I think the Weeknd may be joining the crew of pulling their tour before it’s announced as he’s leaving it a bit late for stadium dates in the UK.

I reckon Macca is the 18th date and the Stones are the TW Classic date. Just a hunch.

13 minutes ago, waltere said:

Worth pointing out that, according to a mate who was there, that BBK set had an incredibly sparse crowd

Imagine so. A strange act to put against Ed Sheeran.

Doja would pack it. Probably the best alternative to put against Macca if you are looking for crowd split. Also if they would like one female headliner on the other stage she would be a good option.

J Cole… don’t know. I imagine a modest crowd. Partially due to demographic reasons.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Seems like Pet Shop boys and Harry Styles on at the same time would be a mistake. 

The older crowd that like pop music would be torn between which act to see

The rolling stones against pet shop boys makes much more sense, let's get them instead 

I’d argue there was more crossover in terms of audience between the Stones and PSB than Styles and PSB.

6 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Seems like Pet Shop boys and Harry Styles on at the same time would be a mistake. 

The older crowd that like pop music would be torn between which act to see

The rolling stones against pet shop boys makes much more sense, let's get them instead 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d argue there was more crossover in terms of audience between the Stones and PSB than Styles and PSB.

Does the same apply to Adele and New Order?

Sometimes there is a bit of crossover. In some weird way I’d say Ed Sheeran and BBK probably has some crossover too. 

Harry v Dua I can’t see as I think it would actually damage Harry’s crowd. Harry v PSB wouldn’t have the same effect.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can believe that, was at Emeli Sande just before and the crowd must have been in the hundreds, tops.

We cut across the Other Stage to head to Justice (I think) when she was on and there were tumbleweeds rolling around the place. 

Felt pretty bad for her, even more so when I saw her supporting Chic the following year and she was actually pretty decent.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can believe that, was at Emeli Sande just before and the crowd must have been in the hundreds, tops.

She had a very big album which had a few radio singles but she never really built a fanbase. That’s why anything she tried to do after that album flopped big time. 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Does the same apply to Adele and New Order?

Sometimes there is a bit of crossover. In some weird way I’d say Ed Sheeran and BBK probably has some crossover too. 

Harry v Dua I can’t see as I think it would actually damage Harry’s crowd. Harry v PSB wouldn’t have the same effect.

There will always be some cross over with any two acts playing at the same time. 

I've crunched the numbers and the Adele/new order cross over would be much smaller than Styles/pet shop boys

Am I right in thinking that other than the online articles, which later toned things down from headlining to is rumoured to play, that the only info on Harry Styles playing was the person who also said Paul McCartney wasn’t playing? Obviously it could be both of them headlining but if Kendrick is out then I’m not expecting Harry Styles to be the replacement. 

9 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Am I right in thinking that other than the online articles, which later toned things down from headlining to is rumoured to play, that the only info on Harry Styles playing was the person who also said Paul McCartney wasn’t playing? Obviously it could be both of them headlining but if Kendrick is out then I’m not expecting Harry Styles to be the replacement. 

No connection at all. There was a user here who said Harry was in no Macca but I don’t think it’s the same source.

The user on here came after the articles in the media.

My view is that while these papers are pure cancer they have people pretty well positioned in the music biz. They also don’t care about leaking genuine info. If someone gave them a tip off Harry is playing they probably checked it with a few of their contacts before issuing the article.

28 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

The person in question only ever said they'd heard Macca was out. They mentioned Styles as a replacement but said that was only a guess, no source behind that reasoning.