2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They booked Camila for 2020 and Lucy Spraggan recently. But you are right it would be a bold move.

The question is can we divorce his X factor connection from our mind? He’s trying his best to shake it and it’s not an easy job. You can’t say he is similar at all to James Arthur or any of the other winners. He probably hates X Factor as much as you do.

Glastonbury has a history of giving British acts who have built a global reputation a headline slot on the pointy one. Just like Muse, Coldplay, Adele, Arctic Monkeys, Ed Sheeran etc all managed to build careers for themselves across the world. We really should be talking about Harry in the same regard, as an act managing to have Coachella as their first big festival headlining gig (before doing your Glasto, Reading, TRNSMT, BST etc gigs) is a massive and rare achievement. It’s quite remarkable when you write it down actually.

Also I’m just going to say it, sign of the times is still an incredible pop song.

Do many people care about Lucy Spraggan being booked or know about Camila Cabello’s background though compared to Harry Styles? I think he’s moved beyond the X Factor thing but a lot of people, including a large number of people at the festival, will still associate him with that. I’d quite like to see him headline, certainly more than George Ezra or Lewis Capaldi as others have mentioned, but it would undoubtedly be a very controversial booking. I’m not sure if he’ll be at the top of Emily’s list but I’m starting to come round to the idea of him headlining in the next few years.

Just now, nikkic said:

There’s been plenty of pop acts in recent years so it’s not really a new type of act. 

The major criticism would probably be the same tired “not guitar music” line.

Yeah booking him would be nothing new it’s just the X Factor thing I reckon. Take X Factor away and what is the difference between booking him and Adele, Ed Sheeran, Billie, Taylor?

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Good one that! Still it’s pretty rare to have a UK artist get given their first headlining gigs in the states and not the UK.

I agree though Depeche Mode are fridge list forever.

Glass Animals have got a few US festival headlines next year

Surely for Harry Styles the reputation to shake is One Direction (5+ years in a boyband nobody is going to take seriously for a pyramid headline) rather than the X Factor (a month competition) in 2010 ??

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Surely for Harry Styles the reputation to shake is One Direction (5+ years in a boyband nobody is going to take seriously for a pyramid headline) rather than the X Factor (a month competition) in 2010 ??

One Direction will be seen a nostalgia act very soon (if not already). 

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

It was the 1D thing and their history I was hinting towards.

Robbie Williams left Take That and became a superstar in his own right, but has never headlined the G.

• Upvote 1

You can see they did try for Kendrick for that Friday as they gave Baby Keem a top billing.

If Glasto have them they are the GOAT. (Not like I’m doubting them but Glasto really is the goat if they’ve pulled this off).

10 minutes ago, not worthy said:

This is going to be the overdue 50th birthday Glastonbury

With Billie and possibly the frog chorus, isn't the 3rd just possibly going to be a Michael wish/bucket list act?

Who would be in the running in that category

Well we know what the 50th lineup was last time so why would they do that now?

The 50th was a celebration but it was a normal Glastonbury lineup with a few extra surprises sprinkled in.

1 minute ago, not worthy said:

why.....time/opportunity?

It’s not the 50th anymore, they should park it and move on.

Plus the whole chat circling the 50th got a bit intense at times. Almost as if Glastonbury couldn’t book anyone that would satisfy the “this is underwhelming for the 50th” brigade. A living beatle, Diana Ross, Taylor Swift and Aerosmith / Kendrick wasn’t considered enough. They best move on from it because people had unreal expectations.

Just now, MaxPower said:

Couldn’t imagine going to coachella size+cost festival and it being headlined by Harry Styles and 2022 Kanye. Jeezo hope that isn’t an indication for Glastonbury.

You say this but Harry, Billie, Kanye is a guaranteed sell out. So maybe there is an aspect of underestimating their size?

This will almost definitely sell out in a flash.

18 minutes ago, not worthy said:

This is going to be the overdue 50th birthday Glastonbury

With Billie and possibly the frog chorus, isn't the 3rd just possibly going to be a Michael wish/bucket list act?

Who would be in the running in that category

It's not, it's been and gone.

Friend of mine turned 40 in lockdown one, we're all meeting up in March to celebrate her 42nd, not her 40th. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s not the 50th anymore, they should park it and move on.

Plus the whole chat circling the 50th got a bit intense at times. Almost as if Glastonbury couldn’t book anyone that would satisfy the “this is underwhelming for the 50th” brigade. A living beatle, Diana Ross, Taylor Swift and Aerosmith / Kendrick wasn’t considered enough. They best move on from it because people had unreal expectations.

Who wasn’t it considered enough by ? The online chat ? We all know people are never happy … nothing enlightening there … might not be the 50th … but it’s the first one back after covid and I’d like them to get the biggest acts back for the worlds best party …