Jump to content

2022 Headliners


Chrisp1986
 Share

Recommended Posts

Glastonbury occasionally drops a real WTF bomb and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they negotiated The Strokes to headline the Other Stage. We can argue all day (and probably will) about egos and stage placement but I could definitely see them up against Elton (or whoever) on the Sunday. If they can headline a festival in Lytham, they ain't too big for the 50,000 capacity (or whatever it is) second stage at the biggest festival on the planet. 

And if the horrible Homme accusations gather momentum, I see them as a natural replacement for QOTSA, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strokes are doing Prima in Spain in July 3rd then NOS in Portugal July 6th. Then Lytham on the 8th and TRNSMT afterwards.

Suggests to me that they're doing the Euro festival circuit, but would they come to the UK to do Glasto then head to Spain/Portugal and then back to the UK?

Colour me sceptical. More likely is somewhere like Werchter IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Strokes are doing Prima in Spain in July 3rd then NOS in Portugal July 6th. Then Lytham on the 8th and TRNSMT afterwards.

Suggests to me that they're doing the Euro festival circuit, but would they come to the UK to do Glasto then head to Spain/Portugal and then back to the UK?

Colour me sceptical. More likely is somewhere like Werchter IMO.

I can't see it, for the strokes to be playing they need to be headlining and for there to be a decent payday. When was the last time they even played in the UK, over 5 years ago? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Meerkat said:

Just saw on the rumours page that QOTSA and PSB are down for Friday on the Other Stage. Does that mean we’re looking at one of QOTSA/PSB for Friday and then Sat/Sun free?

QOTSA probably off the table now.

 

4 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

I can't see it, for the strokes to be playing they need to be headlining and for there to be a decent payday. When was the last time they even played in the UK, over 5 years ago? 

Lytham festival suggests a serious step down but I would probably agree. Would have a massive crowd on Other

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Meerkat said:

Just saw on the rumours page that QOTSA and PSB are down for Friday on the Other Stage. Does that mean we’re looking at one of QOTSA/PSB for Friday and then Sat/Sun free?

Neil had it on good intel that QOTSA were Friday, so PSB we have assumed are actually still Sunday, as they were in 2020.

However...

Relton vs Pet Shop Boys would be a serious vote splitter. Every stage operates independently for the most part, and legacy act vs legacy act can happen, but surely you won't run the two most successful gay acts this country has ever produced against one another? The overlap is enormous. PSBs would get hammered.

If RR gets Sunday night, I could see PSBs shuffle.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Neil had it on good intel that QOTSA were Friday, so PSB we have assumed are actually still Sunday, as they were in 2020.

However...

Relton vs Pet Shop Boys would be a serious vote splitter. Every stage operates independently for the most part, and legacy act vs legacy act can happen, but surely you won't run the two most successful gay acts this country has ever produced against one another? The overlap is enormous. PSBs would get hammered.

If RR gets Sunday night, I could see PSBs shuffle.

 

I tend to agree it would be a shame for the punters, but ultimately anyone they put up against Elton is going to suffer for it. Better from a crowd safety POV for Reg to clash with another large-ish act who shares the same demographic than someone completely different who nobody cares about. Putting Example and Chase and Status up against the Stones didn’t work at all.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry I’m not getting my hopes up. We have an annual Strokes rumour every year and we fall for their tour dates every time. 

They only accept headline bookings. Even if it means they play smaller events.

They defo don't only do headlining. They played second down the second stage at T in the Park in 2011. Yes it was a decade ago but that was only like 2 tours ago by their standards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They defo don't only do headlining. They played second down the second stage at T in the Park in 2011. Yes it was a decade ago but that was only like 2 tours ago by their standards.

They’re down to headline TRNSMT aren’t they? So they’ve gone from subbing the second stage to headlining the main stage at its replacement.

Edited by dentalplan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They defo don't only do headlining. They played second down the second stage at T in the Park in 2011. Yes it was a decade ago but that was only like 2 tours ago by their standards.

T 2011 also had Beyonce subbing though. Clearly they just had a massive budget that year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’re down to headline TRNSMT aren’t they? So they’ve gone from subbing the second stage to headlining the main stage at its replacement.

That year of T was a weird one for sure and that was a bizarre placement. Just giving the one example I know of the not headlining a festival.

Yeah they're headlining TRNSMT but again it is a pretty bizarre festival with placements sometimes too, like Foals are not headlining whereas they have have headlined APE the same as Strokes did. 

I think sometimes bands will play lower/higher than you might expect at trnsmt than Glasto- e.g Capaldi and Nutini (obv a Scottish factor there), and some acts Glastonbury can just attract to play lower than they should. To me Katy Perry was huge when she played but she did like 3rd down or something.

I don't think it's that mad that the Strokes play Glasto, something seems to have changed with them imo and they seem happier touring now. They played small venues in Belfast etc pre covid i think which they wouldn't do if they weren't happy touring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I do wonder if, in general, the idea of certain bands being to expensive to book needs a post-pandemic rethink. 

By increasing the amount they're prepared to pay to get the biggest acts? The festival tends to get away with it by account of it's huge reputation and coverage on TV resulting in increased sales for the headliners. It's not an easy question to answer, personally I'd prefer to keep a reasonable balance across all the stages as too many other festivals have big, expensive headliners then the quality of act drops off massively down the bill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I don't think it's that mad that the Strokes play Glasto, something seems to have changed with them imo and they seem happier touring now. They played small venues in Belfast etc pre covid i think which they wouldn't do if they weren't happy touring.

They’re happier touring now, for sure. You can tell by watching them. I don’t think it means they’re gonna step away from their history of taking the money though - it seems festivals are willing to give them it now more than ever.

For what it’s worth, in 2020 they were down to headline festivals right around Glastonbury - even in France on Glasto Saturday iirc - and they weren’t on the bill for the 50th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

By increasing the amount they're prepared to pay to get the biggest acts? The festival tends to get away with it by account of it's huge reputation and coverage on TV resulting in increased sales for the headliners. It's not an easy question to answer, personally I'd prefer to keep a reasonable balance across all the stages as too many other festivals have big, expensive headliners then the quality of act drops off massively down the bill. 

More that some acts may have to rethink what their top line is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’re happier touring now, for sure. You can tell by watching them. I don’t think it means they’re gonna step away from their history of taking the money though - it seems festivals are willing to give them it now more than ever.

For what it’s worth, in 2020 they were down to headline festivals right around Glastonbury - even in France on Glasto Saturday iirc - and they weren’t on the bill for the 50th.

Yeah good point. To be fair, I forgot they had announced the 2020 one. Spaces will open up tho I guess and we know they are doing something in the South of England. I would guess Lattitude probs.

I just don't understand that Lytham festival they are playing. Makes no sense to me. If it was just about money surely their own gig at Heaton Park or something would make more sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...