2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Couldn't decide whether to write yesterday or tomorrow never knows. Both bombed.

I was trying to find out myself this morning, and all I could find was older Q&As.

I think it would be a pretty baller move to never answer any of the questions, just leave everyone hanging

1 minute ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I think it would be a pretty baller move to never answer any of the questions, just leave everyone hanging

😁

Yeah, announcing he's playing on a Twitter Q&A lacks a little zing considering the enormity of it, I'd much rather see something fun and creative, like the Radiohead logo painted in the grass or a even poster in Glastonbury Oxfam a la Stormzy. One thing Glastonbury don't do as well as some festivals is announcement hype, imo

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Speaking of Pet Shop Boys, has anyone heard anything about that Camden gig they were supposed to be doing? Feels like years ago I won tickets to that and since nothing.

Their arena tour starts soon so you'd think it'd be wrapped into that, either as a warm up of afterwards before they head off to the festivals...

Ahhh man I was so gutted not to win tickets to that. Wasn't it like a 50-50 chance or something 😢

RE: Harry Styles, just read an article which says he currently has a 5 movie deal with Marvel, and has signed another deal with Netflix, alongside a couple of other movies he has already signed for.

Could he be busy filming for the next 5 summers say, so it really is now or never in terms of Glastonbury, and so he wouldn't necessarily wait out to headline, and just take a sub slot now knowing how culturally significant Glastonbury is?

Edited by ProperTea

53 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

RE: Harry Styles, just read an article which says he currently has a 5 movie deal with Marvel, and has signed another deal with Netflix, alongside a couple of other movies he has already signed for.

Could he be busy filming for the next 5 summers say, so it really is now or never in terms of Glastonbury, and so he wouldn't necessarily wait out to headline, and just take a sub slot now knowing how culturally significant Glastonbury is?

We can only hope.

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

Would be strange for him to count himself out from a summer tour for 5 years. I don’t think it will be that extreme. 

I’ve been having a read and it looks like Macca’s Belgium gigs could be announced shortly. It would line up with Glastonbury dropping a name in the next week or so ahead of the balance payment window. I would expect Macca is leaving it as long as he can before announcing dates, as he’s probably not worried about how they will sell. They will go in a flash even if he announced them 6 weeks in advance.

As some others have suggested I’m leaning towards Billie, Harry, Macca being the headliners as Kendrick doesn’t look to be using the Super Bowl as a big promotional opportunity. He didn’t attend the press conference and it feels very quiet from him. Maybe he’s popping out to perform humble as a studio break. Maybe the Super Bowl was agreed when he was lining up all of his summer festivals but his material isn’t ready. Much harder to pull out of the Super Bowl than it is to pull out of an unannounced tour. Especially if the expectation is only a few minutes of activity from him and he doesn’t need new material. With his summer dates fans would expect some new material.

With putting Harry on Saturday and Macca on Sunday it would result in a bit of a lineup reshuffle. Emily’s interview sounded like some movement was happening. Here is what I can see;

Dua moving from Saturday other headliner to before Billie works. Move PSB to Saturday against Harry, and maybe they could book someone big against Macca to split the crowds in lieu of Dua.

Doja Cat is an option. She is available and taking headline slots at festivals she plays, but also taking sub spots at festivals like longitude and Coachella. Like Megan, her positions are flexible and as long as she’s near the upper end of the lineup she would do it. Another suggestion goes out to @Somto Unigwe Raphael that J Cole could headline the other on the Sunday. The Other has booked hiphop/rap headliners before and I think she would be a good one to split Macca’s crowd. They had Boy Better Know headline other on the Sunday in 2017. Could be something they do. Perhaps when they realised Kendrick would fall through they looked for contemporaries to put on the lineup to make the loss look a bit sweeter? I do wonder though what kind of crowd J Cole could pull headlining a stage. I may be out of touch but my assumption is he is far far bigger in the states and hasn’t got the same following in the UK.

Bringing a few suggestions together I think this would be a solid effort. 

Pyramid

Fri - Billie Eilish // Dua Lipa // Elbow // Olivia Rodrigo // Kacey Musgraves

Sat - Harry Styles // Noel Gallagher // HAIM // Robert Plant 

Sun - Paul McCartney // Jack White // Lorde // Diana Ross // The Specials // Crowded House // Herbie Hancock // Black Dyke Band

Other:

Fri - Foals // Wolf Alice // Anderson Paak // Blossoms

Sat - Pet Shop Boys // Megan Thee Stallion // Fontaines DC // Mabel

Sun - Doja Cat (or J Cole) // AJ Tracey // Sam Fender // Idles

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Would be strange for him to count himself out from a summer tour for 5 years. I don’t think it will be that extreme. 

I’ve been having a read and it looks like Macca’s Belgium gigs could be announced shortly. It would line up with Glastonbury dropping a name in the next week or so ahead of the balance payment window. I would expect Macca is leaving it as long as he can before announcing dates, as he’s probably not worried about how they will sell. They will go in a flash even if he announced them 6 weeks in advance.

As some others have suggested I’m leaning towards Billie, Harry, Macca being the headliners as Kendrick doesn’t look to be using the Super Bowl as a big promotional opportunity. He didn’t attend the press conference and it feels very quiet from him. Maybe he’s popping out to perform humble as a studio break. Maybe the Super Bowl was agreed when he was lining up all of his summer festivals but his material isn’t ready. Much harder to pull out of the Super Bowl than it is to pull out of an unannounced tour. Especially if the expectation is only a few minutes of activity from him and he doesn’t need new material. With his summer dates fans would expect some new material.

With putting Harry on Saturday and Macca on Sunday it would result in a bit of a lineup reshuffle. Emily’s interview sounded like this was happening. Here is what I can see;

Dua moving from Saturday other headliner to before Billie works. Move PSB to Saturday against Harry, and maybe they could book someone big against Macca to split the crowds in lieu of Dua.

Doja Cat is an option. She is available and taking headline slots at festivals she plays, but also taking sub spots at festivals like longitude and Coachella. Like Megan, her positions are flexible and as long as she’s near the upper end of the lineup she would do it. Another suggestion goes out to @Somto Unigwe Raphael that J Cole could headline the other on the Sunday. The Other has booked hiphop/rap headliners before and I think she would be a good one to split Macca’s crowd. They had Boy Better Know headline other on the Sunday in 2017. Could be something they do. Perhaps when they realised Kendrick would fall through they looked for contemporaries to put on the lineup to make the loss look a bit sweeter? I do wonder though what kind of crowd J Cole could pull headlining a stage. I may be out of touch but my assumption is he is far far bigger in the states and hasn’t got the same following in the UK.

Bringing a few suggestions together I think this would be a solid effort. 

Pyramid

Fri - Billie Eilish // Dua Lipa // Elbow // Olivia Rodrigo // Kacey Musgraves

Sat - Harry Styles // Noel Gallagher // HAIM // Robert Plant 

Sun - Paul McCartney // Jack White // Lorde // Diana Ross // The Specials // Crowded House // Herbie Hancock // Black Dyke Band

Other:

Fri - Foals // Wolf Alice // Anderson Paak // Blossoms

Sat - Pet Shop Boys // Megan Thee Stallion // Fontaines DC // Mabel

Sun - Doja Cat (or J Cole) // AJ Tracey // Sam Fender // Idles

Not IDLES.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Oh yeah?? Where’s this info? Sounds very promising.