2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

20 minutes ago, jparx said:

I dunno if she's too bothered about changing the tastes of the regular attendees, I think it's more about living up to the remit of being the leading festival of contemporary music. Personally I think it's the festival's duty to keep on top of what's best in class at that particular moment in time, and if that doesn't suit the tastes of someone who has been for the last 10 years, then so be it. If the festival stays appealing to what was popular 15 years ago and is driven more by making the regulars happy than being at the forefront, it would just become a parody of itself. And ultimately, staying fresh and relevant will just cycle new fans in anyway. I think Glastonbury could probably do even more to stay on the cutting edge honestly, but I appreciate their position in charge of such an enormous ship where it's not so easy to do a hard left turn.

Really, for the examples you've given, it's hard to label yourself a festival of "contemporary performing arts" and NOT have those acts headline at some point, when you've got 3 slots per year to fill, regardless of how the "regulars" feel.

Great points. 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can possibly see them having one controversial headliner. 

The boy band reject would make news and get people talking, same with Billie Ellish. Both controversial acts but at least people have heard of them. 

Outside of this forum I’ve never even heard of Kendrick. There will be a lot of people on seeing his name on the poster are going to go “who the fuck is that?”

A headliner doesn’t have to be to everyones taste. Coldplay and Sheeran are proof of that but they have to be well known.

I’m not saying Kendrick shouldn’t be there but if PSB are on at the same time then more people are going to watch them because they know who they are. KM is likely to be on a smaller stage. 

I know who the Pet Shop Boys are, they're a terrible band and I'm not going to see them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, nikkic said:

Are we really saying one the biggest hip hop artists and one of the biggest pop stars on the planet are “controversial bookings?”

Mental. 

theyre not 'crowd-pleasing' tho, are they.

28 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

For what it’s worth, Kendrick is the #1 act my circle want to see. Anyone under who’s peripherally into rap, R&B, contemporary urban pop, jazz, beats or soul is gonna have a killer time.

(And, not to knock this forum’s demographic, but we skew heavily white and 30-40+. That’s an undoubted factor in more shrugs here than you’d find amongst the new gen of Glasto goers.)

It’s no issue not rating him, and fair play to the posters who say they don’t know him but will give a go if he’s announced. The Sunday slot gives me a slight twinge of worry and yeah, he won’t pull Macca or Billie levels. Neither did The Cure. Still worthwhile.

It’s like booking Tupac or Public Enemy in their prime. They might be a larger cultural force in the US than UK, but their generational status and quality of material merits the slot hands down.

+ @Tommy Dickfingers makes a great point: ‘Alright’ is firmly in the history books already. Add a Pulitzer and you’re talking about a rare & great get for the fest.

Couldn't agree more with this - I do think this forum's demo is skewed, leading to a lot of the "Kendrack Lemur??" comments I've seen. I'm in the same boat - major artist in my circle of friends (20s-30s) and the act we're most hyped for.

No shade on those who aren't into him or don't see the appeal but be in no doubt this is a SOLID booking, and just right for Glasto. Complements Billie and Paul really well imo (neither of which I'm fussed about).

I'm genuinely surprised at the credible excitement around Styles actually. I like the guy more than I like his music, and didn't expect to see people here so willing to accept his possible headliner status. Will listen to more of him and see if he grows on me.

*Hi btw. Been lurking for years and just sorted my login out.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

To be fair the replies to that Billie tweet are all calling it as BS.

Is this representative of a UK festival crowd though rather than I assume a US crowd on his own arena tour?

Edit: I don't even know why i've got involved. I don't actually care that much 😂

Edited by JoeyT

3 minutes ago, KPSandwiches said:

Couldn't agree more with this - I do think this forum's demo is skewed, leading to a lot of the "Kendrack Lemur??" comments I've seen. I'm in the same boat - major artist in my circle of friends (20s-30s) and the act we're most hyped for.

No shade on those who aren't into him or don't see the appeal but be in no doubt this is a SOLID booking, and just right for Glasto. Complements Billie and Paul really well imo (neither of which I'm fussed about).

I'm genuinely surprised at the credible excitement around Styles actually. I like the guy more than I like his music, and didn't expect to see people here so willing to accept his possible headliner status. Will listen to more of him and see if he grows on me.

*Hi btw. Been lurking for years and just sorted my login out.

Yeah agree with all of this (especially about liking Harry Styles the person more than the musician...). I think if some had their way it would be white blokes playing guitar x 3 every year, Glasto is probably the only festival in the UK that can afford to takes risks with headliners and it's a good thing it does. 

kendrick is one of my favourite artists, but then again I am a huge rap fan. I think all this talk of if a headliner is "worthy" or whatever is moot point; Stormzy has less appeal than Kendrick and killed his performance, Kanye was at the peak of his career and gave a middling one. It all depends on the performance on the day, I have faith he can win people over. Especially seeing as though he might end up only doing Glasto this summer, it will special mark my words

The stage control he has is unbelievable. Just imagine a headline slot in the Pyramid with fireworks and the show around him. Goosebumps. 

I just don't get the indifference about Kendrick from some people. He is not just a raper, he is an icon and voice of a generation (cmon, he even has a Pulitzer). 

Just now, AlexOvd said:

The stage control he has is unbelievable. Just imagine a headline slot in the Pyramid with fireworks and the show around him. Goosebumps. 

I just don't get the indifference about Kendrick from some people. He is not just a raper, he is an icon and voice of a generation (cmon, he even has a Pulitzer). 

*rapper 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Thank you for correcting such an important part of the text, people wouldn't understand without this clarification hahaha 😅 I am not native English, it is actually my third language 😬

Was only saying to be pedantic and out of jest, of course people would have got the gist. 

"kendrick who" lol 😄 love this place!

kendrick is a superstar, an important superstar and a generational artist. Glastonbury headliner is the correct place for someone of his stature.

If you dont know anything about him, load up Good Kid Mad City. go to rap genius and load up the lyrics of the album so you can follow what he is saying. and just enjoy.

People who dont listen to hip hop might get lost in the raps and the music but id highly advise giving following his lyrics with rap genius or something so you can follow the narrative he threads. dont know what else to say!

• Like 1