2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Weird said:

I just noticed that there seems to be some skepticism about if Kendrick can fulfill his slot and I didn't see that same pessimism for Billie. Billie will be amazing by the way, currently my favorite artist but she doesn't even have the performances that Kendrick has had on a festival stage to warrant ppl being more comfortable with her headlining than say a Kendrick. 

No one has said he can't fulfil his slot, its if he's even showing up. 

3 minutes ago, Weird said:

I just noticed that there seems to be some skepticism about if Kendrick can fulfill his slot and I didn't see that same pessimism for Billie. Billie will be amazing by the way, currently my favorite artist but she doesn't even have the performances that Kendrick has had on a festival stage to warrant ppl being more comfortable with her headlining than say a Kendrick. 

Not really seen people saying this - what i'm more worried about is him not getting the crowd he deserves as it should be an absolute treat. if its billie / kendrick / macca, macca will have a huge crowd compared to the others

1 minute ago, Weird said:

I don’t think that’s quite what people were saying. Billie announced a tour with the Friday free and there was an expectation she would be in the frame.

Kendrick was obviously down for 2020 and there was info he is in for 2022, however there is a bit of doubt due to the fact that other festivals he was down to play in 2020/2021 look to have booked new headliners. Billie was confirmed pretty quick, which is why no one was doubting whether she would be booked?

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not really seen people saying this - what i'm more worried about is him not getting the crowd he deserves as it should be an absolute treat. if its billie / kendrick / macca, macca will have a huge crowd compared to the others

To be fair Macca would pull a bigger crowd than most acts what with him being a Beatle and all-round living legend.

Jamie Oborne is known to be very.. over enthuastic by 1975 fans when it comes to shows / merch etc. Anyway I've said before 1975 we're going to be doing a secret set in 2020 and headlining 2021, whether they are still seen as a headliner I have no idea due to a few scandals / general decline of popularity but if their next album is a hit they could be right up there again

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

B4FDC381-F9E4-4ADD-B846-AB637FA624D7.webp.742c312ba46baf960af1e5ac0c5da6e8.webp

keep out of the black and into the red.                                                                  theres nothing in this game for two in the bed

Prett sure nobody under the age of 30 has a fucking clue what the last couple of pages have been about…

I really don’t know how the 1975 could tour or promote harder than they did for the last double album. They were everywhere. They did well headlining R&L but I feel like the attention they got off the back of that performance has fizzled a bit. The pandemic probably paid a big role in that is just how the cookie crumbles.

If the pandemic didn’t happen and their momentum didn’t slow I would consider them worth a shot but things have moved on. Things don’t always standstill unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t know how the 1975 could tour or promote harder than they did for the last double album. They were everywhere. They did well headlining R&L but I feel like the attention they got off the back of that performance has fizzled a bit. The pandemic probably paid a big role in that is just how the cookie crumbles.

If the pandemic didn’t happen and their momentum didn’t slow I would consider them worth a shot but things have moved on. Things don’t always standstill unfortunately. 

Yeah, the mixed reception to Notes and the pandemic stopped their seemingly unstoppable momentum. As I said though, a few good singles and they can be right on track again

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Prett sure nobody under the age of 30 has a fucking clue what the last couple of pages have been about…

FATM are the speedboat. It's a prize, a nice prize and some people would really enjoy it and get a lot of use out of it. Me? I live on the 13th floor of a tower block. In Solihull. And I wish I just kept my Bendy Bullys. 

4 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Yeah, the mixed reception to Notes and the pandemic stopped their seemingly unstoppable momentum. As I said though, a few good singles and they can be right on track again

The problem is though (probably not really their fault) but they tried to become the next staple headlining band at a time where the industry is somewhat stacked against them. I’m reading similar discussions on the gov ball reddit, as people are questioning why the festival has just completely ditched bands.

In the 00s / 10s festivals were in the business of giving bands with momentum and good popularity headline gigs. The 1975 would have been a natural band to get this.

But trends have changed. Being a band with a good following that tours the circuit every year isn’t what gets you a headline. Festivals have embraced solo artists / more pop / dance and rap/r&b and appear more open to giving a rising rap artist a chance to headline than a band.

It’s a mix of pandemic induced stagnation and just general market trends which have resulted in the 1975 not getting as many headlining gigs as they looked to be set for a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

The problem is though (probably not really their fault) but they tried to become the next staple headlining band at a time where the industry is somewhat stacked against them. I’m reading similar discussions on the gov ball reddit, as people are questioning why the festival has just completely ditched bands.

In the 00s / 10s festivals were in the business of giving bands with momentum and good popularity headline gigs. The 1975 would have been a natural band to get this.

But trends have changed. Being a band with a good following that tours the circuit every year isn’t what gets you a headline. Festivals have embraced solo artists / more pop / dance and rap/r&b and appear more open to giving a rising rap artist a chance to headline than a band.

It’s a mix of pandemic induced stagnation and just general market trends which have resulted in the 1975 not getting as many headlining gigs as they looked to be set for a few years ago.

Eh, I really do believe that they were probably lined up for 2021, possibly rushing out a new album in the meantime after Notes landed with a thud, and that they would’ve been able to cling on to their festival headliner status a little longer. The pandemic well and truly fucked them in that respect and basically caught them off guard immediately after releasing a clunker.

Although they were absolutely everywhere for a good few years there, it now seems kind of crazy to think of them as ever being that big. Fuck knows where they’re gonna land upon their return, but headlining Glastonbury it ain’t gonna be. Maybe they’d be happy enough pulling a Foals/Biffy and taking the sub slot. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think they are more likely to headline reading again and we will have years and years of debating them over and over on here.

If they can release another fairly popular album/with a big enough single then they'd be seen as a really big sub, if they skip that and headline Reading then yeah it'll be in a weird space for a long time. 

43 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was thinking that myself,  fuck, we really need an announcement,anything. I was even considering tuning into radio two, Jo Whitley,in case Elbow dropped a hint tonight.