2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

Nonsense. You're being very condescending to his fans, of which there are many, many genuine ones. And they aren't naive idiots who splash their cash because of a clickbaity headline on NME's Twitter page.

There are a lot of reasons why people buy tickets for Liam’s shows. For people my age and older who were there in the 90’s there is a large dose of nostalgia involved and hearing the classic songs from our youth is always a buzz. Then there’s the younger generation raised on Oasis who look up to him and then there’s plenty of people who quite simply like the music he makes.

I know it’s difficult for Matt sometimes to comprehend that an act can become hugely successful without a viral Tiktok presence and appeal to more than one core demographic but it happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There are a lot of reasons why people buy tickets for Liam’s shows. For people my age and older who were there in the 90’s there is a large dose of nostalgia involved and hearing the classic songs from our youth is always a buzz. Then there’s the younger generation raised on Oasis who look up to him and then there’s plenty of people who quite simply like the music he makes.

I know it’s difficult for Matt sometimes to comprehend that an act can become hugely successful without a viral Tiktok presence and appeal to more than one core demographic but it happens.

I've watched him quite a few times - it's also an opportunity to see oasis songs that would never make it into the setlist even if they did reform. Same with Noel's sets.

Liam was at his very best of his solo career this past summer - he was great at Leeds.

Im taking my brother to the Etihad gig - he's 27 and never got to see Oasis (I only did a couple of times later on) and hasn't seen Liam yet. He's absolutely buzzing - it'll be a big deal for him. It was same with Stone Roses in 2016 for him. That'll be a great night 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've watched him quite a few times - it's also an opportunity to see oasis songs that would never make it into the setlist even if they did reform. Same with Noel's sets.

Liam was at his very best of his solo career this past summer - he was great at Leeds.

Im taking my brother to the Etihad gig - he's 27 and never got to see Oasis (I only did a couple of times later on) and hasn't seen Liam yet. He's absolutely buzzing - it'll be a big deal for him. It was same with Stone Roses in 2016 for him. That'll be a great night 

I’ve been impressed by both of them two seeing them live and missed Oasis by miles. Its the same reason people see Richard Ashcroft / Ian Brown. Liam was great at Reading too

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Said it before and I’ll keep saying it.., Liam is now a bona fide megastar in his own right. Still unsure how he’s managed it but over the last couple of years but he’s back to somewhere approaching Oasis levels these days.

No worthy lad-rock replacements? There's a few, Courteeners, Catfish & The Bottlemen for a bit, Gerry Cinnamon, but none have quite shot to near the level of fame Oasis had. Maybe a sign of the times in all honesty, but without that current band in the genre he's got renewed appeal. 

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Said it before and I’ll keep saying it.., Liam is now a bona fide megastar in his own right. Still unsure how he’s managed it but over the last couple of years but he’s back to somewhere approaching Oasis levels these days.

It's even more baffling given how Beady Eye went. Shows the pull of a social media presence and society's ever increasing want to recall and revisit the past. So much these days is purely nostalgia driven, whether it's rebooting/remaking films and TV series or bands touring the 23rd anniversary of an album that gets played nigh on in full in a regular setlist anyway. It's not like Liam has reinvented himself, the music is nothing special, it's just people wanting more of the familiar. 

42 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

It's even more baffling given how Beady Eye went. Shows the pull of a social media presence and society's ever increasing want to recall and revisit the past. So much these days is purely nostalgia driven, whether it's rebooting/remaking films and TV series or bands touring the 23rd anniversary of an album that gets played nigh on in full in a regular setlist anyway. It's not like Liam has reinvented himself, the music is nothing special, it's just people wanting more of the familiar. 

Beady Eye's second album was far better than anything Liam has produced solo. Big fan of this one in particular -

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s only a matter of time

2A0F8A02-67F5-4860-A6AB-2E048D010FDE.jpeg

Apart from Emily liking this, the quote is interesting. "May next year be shining bright."

The quote on the Glastonbury merch line "Hope shines brightest in the dark" is a line Paul gave them permission to use from one of his songs.

Nailed on. Because clearly he used his new year message to give a direct hint about a festival he may be performing at.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Oasis was a cultural phenomenon. They were the biggest band in the world and we havent seen anything like that since in the Rock world. 

Liams great and hes big but hes no where near Oasis levels. 

51 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Don't think it's even down to social media or nostalgia - there's a big difference in that Beady Eye was a deliberate attempt to be not-Oasis - if you saw Beady Eye at a gig or festival you'd expect at most 2 Oasis songs in the set and often none at all.

Whereas Liam solo is pretty much taking the opposite approach these days - more than half the set is Oasis, and as best he's doing those songs better than Oasis did in their latter years when they were pretty awful live. Basically he's embraced the material people want to hear, and people have responded.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Agreed. The desire to revisit music of which there is nothing comparable to these days, too.

7 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Oasis was a cultural phenomenon. They were the biggest band in the world and we havent seen anything like that since in the Rock world. 

They were big in the UK but only so-so in the world, Imagine Dragons are a bigger world wide band than Oasis were. 

17 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Maybe not quite the cultural phenomenon but Oasis in their pomp headlined headlined festivals, sold out stadia across the country and played multiple nights at Knebworth.

That’s been the last 12 months for Liam.

• Upvote 1