2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Depeche Mode probably. Definitely for the first one, and probably for UK festivals all together.

Good one that! Still it’s pretty rare to have a UK artist get given their first headlining gigs in the states and not the UK.

I agree though Depeche Mode are fridge list forever.

Edited by Matt42

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Has there ever been a UK artist that has headlined Coachella before they headlined Glastonbury? Or even a UK festival for that matter?

More than I thought (I was bored). In addition to Depeche Mode, Roger Waters and Calvin Harris. Asterisks too on the Stone Roses (they obviously were booked to headline Glastonbury first) and Gorillaz (by virtue of Coach being earlier in 2010 than Glasto)

17 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

More than I thought (I was bored). In addition to Depeche Mode, Roger Waters and Calvin Harris. Asterisks too on the Stone Roses (they obviously were booked to headline Glastonbury first) and Gorillaz (by virtue of Coach being earlier in 2010 than Glasto)

Scotland exists!!!

Calvin and Stone Roses headlined TITP before Coachella! Stone Roses did V Festival too the year before.

Edited by Matt42

40 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

She was down for the Saturday last time and she can’t do the Sunday. It just sounds like she’s doing the slot she was doing before. There’s actually nothing to indicate anything different other than someone saying she was thought of as a headliner for 2021.

How can it “sound like” that when we’ve heard absolutely nothing to suggest it. It’s okay to just say that it’s what you think is going to happen, you don’t need to keep acting like we have any info to suggest it.

She’s free on the Saturday. She could be headlining the Pyramid on the Saturday, she could be headlining the Other on the Saturday, she could be sat in Norway or wherever tf doing nothing on the Saturday.

We haven’t heard that any of these are happening. Each possibility is just based on what we individually think may happen. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised by any of the three happening.

4 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

How can it “sound like” that when we’ve heard absolutely nothing to suggest it. It’s okay to just say that it’s what you think is going to happen, you don’t need to keep acting like we have any info to suggest it.

She’s free on the Saturday. She could be headlining the Pyramid on the Saturday, she could be headlining the Other on the Saturday, she could be sat in Norway or wherever tf doing nothing on the Saturday.

We haven’t heard that any of these are happening. Each possibility is just based on what we individually think may happen. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised by any of the three happening.

the mf'er a very angry weatherman 

5 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Was only going against Glastonbury. I was curious but not checking every single UK festivals headliners curious.

No prob but I think it looks even more unique when you take into account all UK festivals. That Depeche Mode and Harry Styles are the only acts to have headlined Coachella before they headlined a UK festival. Depeche Mode also have an aversion to UK festivals so there is an * by their name as it is!

Haha here I was asking about Harry Styles a few days ago and none of yall thought he was even possible and now look...

Anyways, I also think 2023 might be more likely if he was to do a glasto headline set. How often do Coachella and glasto share headliners in the same year? I know they're on different continents but they're still the two biggest major mainstream festivals in the world, you'd imagine they'd like to avoid too much overlap. Tho obvs they're sharing Billie this year

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Him headlining Coachella changes things. Especially if the set is a smash. But I think there'll always be more vital candidates than him for a big pop name to play. A bit like Bruno Mars or someone like that.

That'll be the crux of it. It's his first go at this size of event, isn't it? And he's the 'oh fuck, we can't find anyone else' headliner at that. If he nails it, he's a contender, but there are a great many big pop acts who're better fits at Glastonbury, imo.

14 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That'll be the crux of it. It's his first go at this size of event, isn't it? And he's the 'oh fuck, we can't find anyone else' headliner at that. If he nails it, he's a contender, but there are a great many big pop acts who're better fits at Glastonbury, imo.

I guess this is also a rationale for him being a 2023+ headliner and not a 2022 headliner

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I dont even think it was the category of a fest not having a choice. They broke the radius clause to get Billie so they were searching for anyone that was able, and got Harry to say yes. If the rumors are to be believed, Kendrick Lamar and Tyler The Creator declined to headline. Their absolutely no choice scenario was Ariana Grande in 2019. They had to move 2 weeks worth of tour dates to get her on board and did it within 24 hours of Kanye backing out. 

I mean you can place Gorillaz in the category of having nobody else to call when U2 had to drop out. They obviously didnt try to get anyone for Foo fighters and stuck with Florence since they were fortunate to have another artist that you could envision to be a headliner in their own respect anyway. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

I dont even think it was the category of a fest not having a choice. They broke the radius clause to get Billie so they were searching for anyone that was able, and got Harry to say yes. If the rumors are to be believed, Kendrick Lamar and Tyler The Creator declined to headline. Their absolutely no choice scenario was Ariana Grande in 2019. They had to move 2 weeks worth of tour dates to get her on board and did it within 24 hours of Kanye backing out. 

I mean you can place Gorillaz in the category of having nobody else to call when U2 had to drop out. They obviously didnt try to get anyone for Foo fighters and stuck with Florence since they were fortunate to have another artist that you could envision to be a headliner in their own respect anyway. 

And Libertine’s supporting Florence made for a fun Friday evening.

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It’s not quite over for Kendrick yet. One thing I noticed is the Governors Ball in June is still Tba. I checked the Reddit for rumours and a lot of people are suggesting Kendrick for that as he isn’t at Coachella. The rationale being that when Coachella loses a headliner it tries to raid headliners from its competition (Lollapalooza, firefly etc).

Lots of people predicting Kendrick for Gov Ball, Lolla, and Austin City Limits. May explain why he isn’t doing his EU tour because after glasto he’s going straight back to the states.

Glasto could have Kendrick on a unintentional European exclusive when he is doing a US festival tour from June-October 

Oh I’m still optimistic he’s playing and I’m not saying he *is* ruled out. Billie/Kendrick/Macca is a great set of headliners.  It’s just if he isn’t doing it then there’s no obvious replacement is there, certainly not judging by the debate on here.

14 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Dua Lipa is only about on the Saturday, imagine that'll be an easy bump up assuming her Other headline booking has rolled over. 

I hope they do that. Not a huge Dua fan (props to Levitating though, obv) and not into Eilish at all personally. Plus there’s be a lot of foot stamping and hissyfitting on some parts of the Internet. But two female headliners really sends a positive statement and they’re both worthy of the slot.