2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

42 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably cos there's a number of experienced Glastonbury watchers here who tend to have a rough idea of how the booking works and generally have a gut feel for what's likely and what isn't.

I think that’s pretty much it. There’s a type of Glastonbury booking but it’s very hard to define or put your finger on. 

Just to add another unlikely but possible one to the list, "friends of the festival", talked about doing something post pandemic, would no doubt jump at the chance to play again if asked: Blur

50/50 if i'd want it after the magic last time they were there, but would no doubt smash it again

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

There’s a certain type of pop act that’s considered credible to headline on the boards (billie, Taylor, dua) and other acts that seem to fall by the wayside despite being absolutely massive ( Ariana Grande, Pink, Harry Styles). Seems like there’s still a hierarchy within pop which we subscribe to on some level. Perhaps it’s the whole perceived credibility as songwriting performer rearing its head. 

Credibility is definitely the key word here. It’s not enough to simply sell shit tonnes of records. You need the Guardian/NME/any other serious music publication seal of approval before you’ll be considered headline worthy.

Taylor, Beyoncé, Billie, Adele… they all have it and have or will headline.

The likes of 1D, Take That/Robbie, Pink, Spice Girls… they do not and will never headline regardless of how many records they shift.

4 minutes ago, rhyscork said:

Just to add another unlikely but possible one to the list, "friends of the festival", talked about doing something post pandemic, would no doubt jump at the chance to play again if asked: Blur

50/50 if i'd want it after the magic last time they were there, but would no doubt smash it again

Think Damon is tied up with Gorillaz all summer sadly.

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

I know you're a big guitar bloke, but it isn't remotely 2019-level. Or bad.

Tame and Childish Gambino are B/C-tier bookings. They're not even leaders in their respective fields of indie and hip-hop. Ariana was a very last minute replacement.

Billie and Harry had two of the biggest albums sales-wise of 2019/20. Both can smash arenas with their eyes closed. Kanye is eating at the all-time top table with Prince and Jay.

It's not bad no, it's fucking shocking! Watermelon Sugar is woeful!

And you don't know me at all lol, I listen to a lot of different artists both guitar and non guitar.

I think in the same way that Stormzy, Mumford & Sons etc didn’t quite seem like headliners when they got the booking, I reckon Harry Styles isn’t far off that. He has sold huge tours and gained some credibility in the industry. 

He is a massive popstar who everyone knows. Throw another album on top of what he has already and I can’t see him doing anything below headline.

I’d argue he’s way bigger than George Ezra or any of the other not quite sub not quite headline options that people are floating. I reckon he will be the next UK popstar to headline (whenever that is). If he smashes a Coachella set I don’t think Glasto will stay away.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think in the same way that Stormzy, Mumford & Sons etc didn’t quite seem like headliners when they got the booking, I reckon Harry Styles isn’t far off that. He has sold huge tours and gained some credibility in the industry. 

He is a massive popstar who everyone knows. Throw another album on top of what he has already and I can’t see him doing anything below headline.

I’d argue he’s way bigger than George Ezra or any of the other not quite sub not quite headline options that people are floating. I reckon he will be the next UK popstar to headline (whenever that is). If he smashes a Coachella set I don’t think Glasto will stay away.

I’ll believe it when I see it. My feeling is he’s still pretty far down the queue of likely headliners.

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Credibility is definitely the key word here. It’s not enough to simply sell shit tonnes of records. You need the Guardian/NME/any other serious music publication seal of approval before you’ll be considered headline worthy.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/13/harry-styles-fine-line-review-columbia

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/11/harry-styles-lights-up-review-soulful-enigmatic-return

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2021/nov/16/this-is-pleasing-harry-styles-sets-out-to-dispel-the-myth-of-a-binary-existence

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/nov/17/how-harry-styles-became-the-face-of-gender-neutral-fashion

He may already have the guardian seal of approval. 

I think he's a headliner if he plays. I kind of always did. But he wasn't doing festivals or anything - and obviously isn't an Adele sorta thing where being their first headline show would be huge - so I've never really thought of him for Glastonbury.

Him headlining Coachella changes things. Especially if the set is a smash. But I think there'll always be more vital candidates than him for a big pop name to play. A bit like Bruno Mars or someone like that.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think he's a headliner if he plays. I kind of always did. But he wasn't doing festivals or anything - and obviously isn't an Adele sorta thing where being their first headline show would be huge - so I've never really thought of him for Glastonbury.

Him headlining Coachella changes things. Especially if the set is a smash. But I think there'll always be more vital candidates than him for a big pop name to play. A bit like Bruno Mars or someone like that.

Basic point but would him being a UK act swing it? Idk I just feel like he encapsulates that polarising Glastonbury headline choice extremely well. Sort of thing that generates a lot of office chat. You know the ones….