2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

28 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

This is too nuanced for the general public 

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yup, most people will just see two female pop stars.

True  - but the people to keep happy are the ticket holders, not the Self Righteous Brothers down 'Spoons.  

And on that front both would be big draws.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

True  - but the people to keep happy are the ticket holders, not the Self Righteous Brothers down 'Spoons.  

And on that front both would be big draws.

This isn't really the connection though. I'm not bothered about one of Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish or Harry Styles headlining. And I'm probably one of many. But you'd start thinking the balance is a bit off for Glastonbury Festival if two new pop acts got the top slot.

Not to do with gender, or even style of music really. For things that aren't commonplace among Glastonbury headliners, you'd probably consider Kanye and Kendrick headlining the same year or Metallica and Guns N' Roses headlining the same year to be a headscratcher too.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

This isn't really the connection though. I'm not bothered about one of Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish or Harry Styles headlining. And I'm probably one of many. But you'd start thinking the balance is a bit off for Glastonbury Festival if two new pop acts got the top slot.

Not to do with gender, or even style of music really. For things that aren't commonplace among Glastonbury headliners, you'd probably consider Kanye and Kendrick headlining the same year or Metallica and Guns N' Roses headlining the same year to be a headscratcher too.

Or The Boss and Shakey.

I'd agree that they'd need to balance out a Dua Billie Duo with someone like Macca.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Glastonbury babe

Billie Eilish / Paul McCartney / Harry Styles

What we think?

Initial prejudiced thought. Why would they book some x-factor fodder?

On reflection however he’s arguably as big, if not bigger than Dua Lipa. He’s just not my thing, though Watermelon Sugar and Adore You are undoubted pop bangers.

There’s a certain type of pop act that’s considered credible to headline on the boards (billie, Taylor, dua) and other acts that seem to fall by the wayside despite being absolutely massive ( Ariana Grande, Pink, Harry Styles). Seems like there’s still a hierarchy within pop which we subscribe to on some level. Perhaps it’s the whole perceived credibility as songwriting performer rearing its head. 

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Glastonbury babe

Billie Eilish / Paul McCartney / Harry Styles

What we think?

For a Sunday when you really CBA moving off the back of the pyramid, I'd find myself getting there for Diana and probably staying through the Dua Lipa/Sam Fender subs and watching all of it. 

And I'd really enjoy it.

41 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Harry Styles is headlining Coachella.

That's the '3rd down Pyramid' prediction scotched then.

36 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I mean Harry Styles really.

Imagine being SHM and taking the, even if it is a closing slot after him.

It's definitely on par with 2019 as the worst set of headliners overall they've had that I've known.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Do we know that though?

We have been saying that we don’t have many options if we lost a headliner but another one has just popped up.

I’m confirming it as of right now. Maybe he’ll take a slot lower down - sub or third - but there’s no way they’re booking him to headline. I guarantee they’d just go to an old standard like Muse, Coldplay etc who would almost definitely say yes before they even contemplated somebody like Harry Styles. Coachella had a couple of weeks to sort out a new headliner, but I can’t see Glastonbury being in any kind of the same position so close to the lineup drop or festival.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m confirming it as of right now. Maybe he’ll take a slot lower down - sub or third - but there’s no way they’re booking him to headline. I guarantee they’d just go to an old standard like Muse, Coldplay etc who would almost definitely say yes before they even contemplated somebody like Harry Styles. Coachella had a couple of weeks to sort out a new headliner, but I can’t see Glastonbury being in any kind of the same position so close to the lineup drop or festival.

I can’t see it either and I’m just being provocative but I think Harry is now a contendor for a future festival. Now Billie has been signed up we need a new name in the mix that offensive to some.

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I know you're a big guitar bloke, but it isn't remotely 2019-level. Or bad.

Tame and Childish Gambino are B/C-tier bookings. They're not even leaders in their respective fields of indie and hip-hop. Ariana was a very last minute replacement.

Billie and Harry had two of the biggest albums sales-wise of 2019/20. Both can smash arenas with their eyes closed. Kanye is eating at the all-time top table with Prince and Jay.

Billie // Harry // Ye is massive. Don’t think another festival could book that other than Glasto if they wanted.

SHM too the biggest name they could get for their EDM bros.

The full poster is dropping any min now according to an insider so we should have an undercard to digest in a sec x

32 minutes ago, zero000 said:

There’s a certain type of pop act that’s considered credible to headline on the boards (billie, Taylor, dua) and other acts that seem to fall by the wayside despite being absolutely massive ( Ariana Grande, Pink, Harry Styles). Seems like there’s still a hierarchy within pop which we subscribe to on some level. Perhaps it’s the whole perceived credibility as songwriting performer rearing its head. 

Probably cos there's a number of experienced Glastonbury watchers here who tend to have a rough idea of how the booking works and generally have a gut feel for what's likely and what isn't.

I could see Harry Styles headlining one day - certainly big enough and is a British superstar, however I strongly doubt that he would be booked (to headline) this year. I'd argue him and Billie Eilish have a lot of fanbase crossover and I don't think they would want two headliners who cater strongly to this side of the crowd as it would be very pop-heavy (aware the line up has been indie/rock-heavy in the past but I would say attitudes have changed for festival headliners since then). As mentioned by others already, plenty safer bookings I think they'd go for this year before booking another gen-z big hitter with Billie already on the line up.

Edited by Col!n
caveat