2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Was flicking through the internet yesterday and saw something about Kendrick possibly dropping his album in early February, I can't find it now. Did I just imagine this or do we think this is a possibility?

Nobody knows yet but the Superbowl is a pretty good marketing opportunity to drop something around.

5 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Was flicking through the internet yesterday and saw something about Kendrick possibly dropping his album in early February, I can't find it now. Did I just imagine this or do we think this is a possibility?

The fake website was made by a fan

6 minutes ago, Miyn said:

When the 2014 poster dropped and there was a "Special Guests" slot, were Metallica already confirmed behind the scenes to take that? I remember reading on here they were originally lined up to do a non-headline slot but then got bumped up after another option fell through. Would Glasto have a poster that has TBA's in headline slots if they genuinely hadn't booked someone yet?

Yeah I’m sure in 2014 we knew it was Metallica, they just couldn’t be confirmed at that point as they were meant to be an exclusive at Sonisphere. We didn’t have a clue who the special guests in 2015 were, though to be fair I’m not sure the festival did either at that point. If it comes down to that again then I think they’d do something similar, rather than delaying the full announcement.

i seem to recall that the Metallica Sonisphere set was an exclusive UK festival headline set, and then when <probably Prince, but we'll never really know> pulled out and Metallica got the bump up to headline, Sonisphere marketed it as a kind of 'Metallica exclusive! headline set by request! fans choose the setlist!' kind of thing. 

That Saturday night with Prince on the pyramid and Metallica on the Other wouldve been mad 😆

2 hours ago, ModBoy said:

if he doesnt drop a sneak preview or just straight up new song at the superbowl i think we can assume theres no new album coming anytime soon. Im a big NFL fan so ill be reporting live from my tv on superbowl night with all the latest news.

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I wonder if even Billie and D-Ro are safe bookings?

I wondered this too. They're US based, so I suppose there is a possibility they could be a last minute pull-out. You'd have to think by this point, there has been a conversation had with Coldplay to say "if it all goes tits up last minute, can we give you a ring?"

26 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I wondered this too. They're US based, so I suppose there is a possibility they could be a last minute pull-out. You'd have to think by this point, there has been a conversation had with Coldplay to say "if it all goes tits up last minute, can we give you a ring?"

We may still be at the point, as with festivals last year, that you cant be sure of anyone turning up in a slot until they appear on stage.

Just now, not worthy said:

We may still be at the point, as with festivals last year, that you cant be sure of anyone turning up in a slot until they appear on stage.

I think this isn't going to change between now and June either, since if an act gets covid before they go on stage they'll have to pull out...headliner or not. 

5 minutes ago, shivroy said:

If Glastonbury is close to going broke, what do people think that means in terms of who they'll be able to book? We've talked about how artists tend to accept a lower fee to play, but I still feel like them being close to broke has to limit their ability to book massive acts. 

They're not really 'close to going broke'. They've got farily good cash reserves. 

2 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

They're not really 'close to going broke'. They've got farily good cash reserves. 

https://www.complex.com/music/glastonbury-festival-suffers-record-4-million-dollar-loss-because-pandemic they took a massive grant from the government just to stay afloat, doesn't sound like they have massive cash reserves. I'm sure if the 2022 event happens they'll be fine but they've said before that if it doesn't that they'd be in real trouble. 

6 minutes ago, shivroy said:

https://www.complex.com/music/glastonbury-festival-suffers-record-4-million-dollar-loss-because-pandemic they took a massive grant from the government just to stay afloat, doesn't sound like they have massive cash reserves. I'm sure if the 2022 event happens they'll be fine but they've said before that if it doesn't that they'd be in real trouble. 

Yeah that article is being a tad sensationilst - they've got over 8 million in the bank: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04348175/filing-history?s=09

Now I know nothing about this sort of stuff so sorry if I am completely wrong but in terms of going broke don't they pay the acts after they take the due balances? So a cool 30m coming their way. Now I am not sure what 30m covers but it's defo not broke.

1 minute ago, Slugy said:

Now I know nothing about this sort of stuff so sorry if I am completely wrong but in terms of going broke don't they pay the acts after they take the due balances? So a cool 30m coming their way. Now I am not sure what 30m covers but it's defo not broke.

My only real point is that they're clearly in a different financial situation than they've been in pre-2020 and Id be surprised if that didn't have an impact bookings wise. They had to cancel two separate festivals, one that they had already gotten pretty far on. That has to have some sort of impact especially as most festivals tend to have pretty slim margins after they pay their acts and vendors. 

2 minutes ago, shivroy said:

But do they normally have 61 million? If so that could mean a massive difference in bookings from past years

Nah that's talking about turnover. They had 45 million quid in turnover in 2020 from the previous year's festival - obviously that's well down in 2021 because they haven't had a festival and so haven't been able to make any money. 

Obviously its not ideal but I don't think they're at panic stations like they'd have you believe in some of the articles getting written. 

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

Nah that's talking about turnover. They had 45 million quid in turnover in 2020 from the previous year's festival - obviously that's well down in 2021 because they haven't had a festival and so haven't been able to make any money. 

Obviously its not ideal but I don't think they're at panic stations like they'd have you believe in some of the articles getting written. 

Oh yeah I'm sure if the 2022 festival happens as predicted they'll be fine. I'm just thinking that their ability to book massive reunion acts or massive American pop artists might be limited compared to previous years both because of covid complications but also because of money.