2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

40 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In some weird way the Coachella news is making me nervous for Glasto being able to announce. It looks like Coachella is nowhere near ready to announce… if Glastonbury has a last minute hiccup with their acts it looks like it’s taking a long time to backfill. 

But then again Coachella drops all their lineup in one go. Glasto could announce about 60/70 acts with more TBA and leave it at that if there are some sticky names.

I don't think Coachella has any bearing on Glastonbury whatsoever. Given that the festival has had two years to prepare and there will be a lot of UK based acts on the bill they can certainly cobble a decent poster together. Only thing that might delay them is whether they are waiting for headliners, but again they should really be tied down by the end of Feb when things will hopefully look a lot clearer.

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Lets be honest the next announcement is only going to be one of the headliners. We have a long wait for the first poster I think... my prediction is late March.

I really can’t see them asking for balance payments without at least a chunk of the lineup. A lot of the acts on there will be ready to announce - especially the UK ones.

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't think Coachella has any bearing on Glastonbury whatsoever. Given that the festival has had two years to prepare and there will be a lot of UK based acts on the bill they can certainly cobble a decent poster together. Only thing that might delay them is whether they are waiting for headliners, but again they should really be tied down by the end of Feb when things will hopefully look a lot clearer.

I think it’s the point that even Coachella (who can pay ridiculous sums of money to acts) is struggling to find late minute replacements for their festival.

Hopefully Glasto won’t be in that situation and you’re right, they probably have options that they can pull from. But so do Coachella. SHM are comfortably a headliner for them but they are exhausting all options before bumping them up. 

If what we are hearing from Coachella is true, right now there is a hesitancy from American acts to commit to tour dates. Glasto won’t be immune from that, and perhaps some UK acts will be the same.

All a bit doomsday but it can’t be discounted.

If they're going to wait longer to announce, I'd guess it would be this year. But it does contradict Emily's post. Could see it being released before the deadline, sometime in February. Or they could wait longer and release in late March like they've done in previous years.

Could Emily's post be referring to a non poster announcement? Potentially announce another headliner and then keep us waiting for a poster?

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really can’t see them asking for balance payments without at least a chunk of the lineup. A lot of the acts on there will be ready to announce - especially the UK ones.

Well there is precedent for it... and this is a very unusual year. They have no worries about people paying balances whether there is a poster or not. 

I really hope there is a poster before the balance deadline, just dont think there will be. 

1 minute ago, Miyn said:

If they're going to wait longer to announce, I'd guess it would be this year. But it does contradict Emily's post. Could see it being released before the deadline, sometime in February. Or they could wait longer and release in late March like they've done in previous years.

Could Emily's post be referring to a non poster announcement? Potentially announce another headliner and then keep us waiting for a poster?

Yes. They always release at least 2 headliners before the poster... we have only had one so far. My guess is Macca announcement incoming... 😄 

Previous January announcements have been acts further down the bill (Janelle Monae, Rokia Traore and Kris Kristofferson) so we could get something like that. 

Maybe something along the lines of "We are pressing full steam ahead with preparations for this year's festival, here are x of the acts you can expect to see" and throw in 10 names or so, similar to announcements in 2011 (13 acts) and 2013 (9 acts announced alongside Silver Hayes being unveilled).

9 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yes. They always release at least 2 headliners before the poster... we have only had one so far. My guess is Macca announcement incoming... 😄 

Not always. Without going back too far, in 2014 and 2019 only headliner was announced before the poster.  

7 minutes ago, Havors said:

In 2019 we only had Stormzy didn’t we? I’m sure The Killers and The Cure were just announced on the poster. A Macca announcement would make things a lot less stressful for me, he’s the one act I’m really hoping carries over from 2020, so fingers crossed.

I can’t see them not announcing at the very least a smaller poster than usual before the balance window. The festival don’t owe us anything but given the majority of people will have kept their deposit for over two years I think they’ll want to give us some names before we have to pay the balance.

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

They won’t ask for the balance payment without some sort of lineup these days imo,  people get rowdier on social media the nearer we get to it without a poster.

I agree. I think they may do something a little similar to what Victorious did this year, just to get people talking and excited. They released one headliner, and about 15 names scattered around the festival.

So far we have Billie and Diana Ross, but I think it wouldn't be so bad if they went "here's some names" and chucked out things like The Vaccines, Wolf Alice, Charli XCX, etc. Even though they'd be acts we'd fully expect to be there, at least it's a bit of reassurance... Maybe chuck in one more headliner?

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

I can’t see them not announcing at the very least a smaller poster than usual before the balance window. The festival don’t owe us anything but given the majority of people will have kept their deposit for over two years I think they’ll want to give us some names before we have to pay the balance.

Well I don't owe them anything then! *stomps foot*

They’ve never really done that though have they? I think it’s more likely that there will be a poster if any headliners are still Tba they will be put as special guests.

Also the majority of the acts on the bill are ready to go. It’s the big American ones which may need to held back. But I don’t think so. If the lineup is sorted it’s sorted.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

They’ve never really done that though have they? I think it’s more likely that there will be a poster if any headliners are still Tba they will be put as special guests.

They've never had a pandemic to contend with. I feel like the last few years as well, they've sort of done it by having an "initial" poster with like 30 names on, then they release a full one later on

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Previous January announcements have been acts further down the bill (Janelle Monae, Rokia Traore and Kris Kristofferson) so we could get something like that. 

Maybe something along the lines of "We are pressing full steam ahead with preparations for this year's festival, here are x of the acts you can expect to see" and throw in 10 names or so, similar to announcements in 2011 (13 acts) and 2013 (9 acts announced alongside Silver Hayes being unveilled).

Not always. Without going back too far, in 2014 and 2019 only headliner was announced before the poster.  

And 2015, 2016, 2017.... 😄 

When the 2014 poster dropped and there was a "Special Guests" slot, were Metallica already confirmed behind the scenes to take that? I remember reading on here they were originally lined up to do a non-headline slot but then got bumped up after another option fell through. Would Glasto have a poster that has TBA's in headline slots if they genuinely hadn't booked someone yet?

Just now, K2SO said:

They've never had a pandemic to contend with. I feel like the last few years as well, they've sort of done it by having an "initial" poster with like 30 names on, then they release a full one later on

But I would think a Feb announcement in line with the balance payment would probably mean most of the lineup is sorted (which I imagine it is), they are probably just waiting on headliners to firm up (if they aren’t already).

Just now, Miyn said:

When the 2014 poster dropped and there was a "Special Guests" slot, were Metallica already confirmed behind the scenes to take that? I remember reading on here they were originally lined up to do a non-headline slot but then got bumped up after another option fell through. Would Glasto have a poster that has TBA's in headline slots if they genuinely hadn't booked someone yet?

Yeah they were called in when Glasto couldn’t get Prince. Metallica were signed to Sonisphere at the time so Glasto had to wait to announce them.

2 more months without an announcement obviously risks sending the forum into full Ouroboros mode, but part of me would like there to be no further announcement prior to deposit. It would throw a fair few tickets in from the casuals, and my people who missed out would go regardless of the lineup. I dare say a fair few of the unlucky ones here would feel the same.