2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

How many people paid for Live At Worthy Farm?  

£20 was it? For three hours of content? Not comparable.

People already have Netflix and Amazon Prime. They’re not paying for it to see Glastonbury. Just like people don’t pay their license fee to specifically watch Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

£20 was it? For three hours of content? Not comparable.

People already have Netflix and Amazon Prime. They’re not paying for it to see Glastonbury. Just like people don’t pay their license fee to specifically watch Glastonbury.

I don't think a single person pays a license fee just to watch Glastonbury, that has never been suggested nor ever would be, so let's pop that strawman back in the box for now...

The fact is that there are far more people in this country (and for the purposes of this discussion we are talking about this country) who have access to the BBC right now than Amazon/Sky/Netflix/etc, but pretty much everyone who does subscribe to one of those services also has access to the Beeb, yes you need a license to watch the BBC but that is a legal requirement of owning a television and not really pertinent to this discussion.

Obviously I can't prove this but I'm willing to bet that shifting it away to the likes of Amazon would alienate and lose massive chunks of the "casual" audience who probably don't really care about music or watch a lot of it but will happily sit and watch some of the Glastonbury coverage, especially the headliners and legend. Then you have the people who would inevitably accuse the festival of selling out and not bother watching anyway.

3.2m viewers for a tea time set, do you genuinely think Amazon would pull that?

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't think a single person pays a license fee just to watch Glastonbury, that has never been suggested nor ever would be, so let's pop that strawman back in the box for now...

It wasn't a strawman. You were suggesting - with your comparison to Live at Worthy Farm - that people wouldn't pay to watch Glastonbury on Amazon Prime Video or Netflix, things people already own, much like a TV license.

The fact is that there are far more people in this country (and for the purposes of this discussion we are talking about this country) who have access to the BBC right now than Amazon/Sky/Netflix/etc, but pretty much everyone who does subscribe to one of those services also has access to the Beeb, yes you need a license to watch the BBC but that is a legal requirement of owning a television and not really pertinent to this discussion.

Right now, yes that should be true. But it won't be in five to ten years because, as mentioned earlier in the thread not even by me, BBC is losing money because it's losing TV licenseholders. They even took away the free one they give to OAP's because of it.

10m with Amazon Prime who can access Amazon Prime Video in the UK
15m Netflix subscribers in the UK
25m with a TV license and legally able to access iPlayer in the UK.

Except the first two are increasing by hundreds of thousands every year, and the latter is decreasing at a similar rate, which will probably pick up speed to millions.

And no it's not a legal requirement of owning a television. Who told you that? It is a legal requirement to watch live television OR iPlayer, but people don't watch live TV anymore. Hence why the on-demand stuff has exploded the Glastonbury viewing figures.

Obviously I can't prove this but I'm willing to bet that shifting it away to the likes of Amazon would alienate and lose massive chunks of the "casual" audience who probably don't really care about music or watch a lot of it but will happily sit and watch some of the Glastonbury coverage, especially the headliners and legend. Then you have the people who would inevitably accuse the festival of selling out and not bother watching anyway.

3.2m viewers for a tea time set, do you genuinely think Amazon would pull that?

Yes. It would gain more of a casual audience worldwide, for the sheer fact of it being available in more households. Bear in mind the figures I just quoted about Prime and Netflix being behind BBC were UK only.

3.2m wasn't concurrent viewers, by the way. So the time of day hasn't much relevance. People will watch it any time they like.

As you can probably guess, I'd be in full favour of them moving with the times and attaching themselves to a major streaming outlet. The money they bring in would hopefully mean an end to the runaway ticket pricing that the current model accepts.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It wasn't a strawman. You were suggesting - with your comparison to Live at Worthy Farm - that people wouldn't pay to watch Glastonbury on Amazon Prime Video or Netflix, things people already own, much like a TV license.

Right now, yes that should be true. But it won't be in five to ten years because, as mentioned earlier in the thread not even by me, BBC is losing money because it's losing TV licenseholders. They even took away the free one they give to OAP's because of it.

10m with Amazon Prime who can access Amazon Prime Video in the UK
15m Netflix subscribers in the UK
25m with a TV license and legally able to access iPlayer in the UK.

Except the first two are increasing by hundreds of thousands every year, and the latter is decreasing at a similar rate, which will probably pick up speed to millions.

And no it's not a legal requirement of owning a television. Who told you that? It is a legal requirement to watch live television OR iPlayer, but people don't watch live TV anymore. Hence why the on-demand stuff has exploded the Glastonbury viewing figures.

Yes. It would gain more of a casual audience worldwide, for the sheer fact of it being available in more households. Bear in mind the figures I just quoted about Prime and Netflix being behind BBC were UK only.

3.2m wasn't concurrent viewers, by the way. So the time of day hasn't much relevance. People will watch it any time they like.

As you can probably guess, I'd be in full favour of them moving with the times and attaching themselves to a major streaming outlet. The money they bring in would hopefully mean an end to the runaway ticket pricing that the current model accepts.

I’ll answer the rest of the points later, but yes. You do need a TV license legally.

734B227B-1945-4F98-BC3E-C90031172B34.png

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

"to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown" then a load of stuff about using iPlayer.

So exactly what I said then.

Nice one, thanks for that.

Pretty sure the streamers would would fall under “online TV services” in court… but anyway dude I’m all for pedantry and being right, but I also have little appetite to turn the Glastonbury Headliner thread into a debate on TV Licensing law. So maybe leave it there.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Amazon Entertainment Ventures Acquisition Corp holdings to acquire Glastonbury Festivals Limited and all subsequent media rights for £500m GBP.

Amazon Prime users will get pre-sale access to tickets. You will need to pay extra for camping!

Jeff Bezos reading out the lineup on board one of his blue origin spacecraft. Scenes.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can't think of any potential downsides to getting someone like Jeff Bezos involved.

Why not? Glasto will finally be able to afford Fleetwood Mac’s $22m performance fee and the $70m needed to reform Led Zeppelin? I think it should be considered!

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Pretty sure the streamers would would fall under “online TV services” in court… but anyway dude I’m all for pedantry and being right, but I also have little appetite to turn the Glastonbury Headliner thread into a debate on TV Licensing law. So maybe leave it there.

Okay well if it is not a live stream (it wouldn’t have to be) then it doesn’t require a TV license and it says so on the website. Check this if you would like to find out more: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104

Re: A change of streaming/broadcast, the only one that would ever make sense to me would be YouTube, because the streams would likely be free. If I remember correctly, YouTube did free steams of all Coachella stages a few years ago. (I vaguely remember watching Royal Blood in maybe 2015?)

Maybe in 10/20 years when the older generations are tech-savvy themselves it may go that way, but I can't see anyone else coming in and getting those licenses to be honest.