2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

I think people on here will slate anyone who's music they don't particularly like. Whether it's Billie, Sheeran, Ezra, Killers, Florence, Coldplay, Foals, The 1975, Mumford's or whoever, I don't think its particularly based on gender. People will find things they don't like about a particular artist or their music and post about it. It's definitely more common with people who make more mainstream / radio-friendly music, and the female acts who could headline in the next few years happen to be making more pop oriented music, which doesn't perfectly align with this forums general music taste. People post negatively about things they don't like, and I don't think gender is the main reason really. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miyn said:

I think people on here will slate anyone who's music they don't particularly like. Whether it's Billie, Sheeran, Ezra, Killers, Florence, Coldplay, Foals, The 1975, Mumford's or whoever, I don't think its particularly based on gender. People will find things they don't like about a particular artist or their music and post about it. It's definitely more common with people who make more mainstream / radio-friendly music, and the female acts who could headline in the next few years happen to be making more pop oriented music, which doesn't perfectly align with this forums general music taste. People post negatively about things they don't like, and I don't think gender is the main reason really. 

Exactly. 

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

These threads are from 8 years ago

And apart from a particularly unpleasant one about “rubbing one out” how many of the negative posts are down to the artists being female really?

I’d dare say that a thread about Robbie Williams would generate similar levels of oppobrium as that Taylor thread.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

And apart from a particularly unpleasant one about “rubbing one out” how many of the negative posts are down to the artists being female really?

I’d dare say that a thread about Robbie Williams would generate similar levels of oppobrium as that Taylor thread.

I didn't even bother opening it honestly

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Personally wouldn't rub one out to Robbie Williams, but 8 years ago...who knows. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Probably. I’ve most likely said something at some point which could be interpreted like I’m going after the act personally - but I think my back arches up a bit at immature ‘pop = shire’ discourse. People are allowed to dislike what they dislike but I think people can be particularly unpleasant when it comes to throwing tomatoes at pop artists.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Probably. I’ve most likely said something at some point which could be interpreted like I’m going after the act personally - but I think my back arches up a bit at immature ‘pop = shire’ discourse. People are allowed to dislike what they dislike but I think people can be particularly unpleasant when it comes to throwing tomatoes at pop artists.

Yeah but you spoke specifically about female artists.

I’d agree that there is a degree of distrust towards anything that isn’t lads with guitars, but I still don’t think it’s on a gender basis.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Of course, you're doing something non too similar in the other thread because you believe that Pink isn't being spoken enough to headline, despite her still selling out stadiums.  

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Of course, you're doing something non too similar in the other thread because you believe that Pink isn't being spoken enough to headline, despite her still selling out stadiums.  

FWIW I don’t think Pink will ever do it, much like Robbie Williams she’ll continue to sell out stadia but I just don’t see the Eavii ever reaching out to them.

(Also suspect Gaga is going that way too)

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

FWIW I don’t think Pink will ever do it, much like Robbie Williams she’ll continue to sell out stadia but I just don’t see the Eavii ever reaching out to them.

Oh no I completely agree. I'd rather have Matt say they don't do festivals and jsut kinda do their own thing rather than 'no one talks about Pink, so would play lower down. 

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Yeah but plenty of acts I like sell out stadiums and I wouldn’t consider them right to headline Glasto? Don’t know where you think there’s is a link there.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Them not being able to/not getting Gaga back is a real loose end for them. I reckon a lot of people would be surprised if you told them Lady Gaga has never headlined Glastonbury. Sounds weird even writing it.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah but plenty of acts I like sell out stadiums and I wouldn’t consider them right to headline Glasto? Don’t know where you think there’s is a link there.

Thats the point, I can bring up a random thing without context and point it towards your direction, just like you can bring up a thread from 8 years ago and saying 'look at how many people hate females.'

Just now, chazwwe said:

Thats the point, I can bring up a random thing without context and point it towards your direction, just like you can bring up a thread from 8 years ago and saying 'look at how many people hate females.'

Why are you so frustrated?

Just now, Matt42 said:

Why are you so frustrated?

Because you bring up random conversation points that have nothing to do with the original conversation and try and connect it to things that aren't there. Its fun when its about predictions, but to point at people almost like they're being misogynistic because they don't like a female pop act is just ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Zimmer is a great shout. Playing the Interstellar score alone would be wonderful 

Oh good 2 hours of him falling asleep on his organ with the volume at 11. He has done some great sTuff over the years, interstellar is terrible.

As someone who hails from north America and goes to Glastonbury, I will say that most people in north America don't know about Glastonbury unless they're really a festival-head or into British artists. Or they know about it as a festival but not the cultural significance of it, just to contribute to something from a few pages ago. 

5 hours ago, shivroy said:

As someone who hails from north America and goes to Glastonbury, I will say that most people in north America don't know about Glastonbury unless they're really a festival-head or into British artists. Or they know about it as a festival but not the cultural significance of it, just to contribute to something from a few pages ago. 

I'm not so sure. I quite often search the word Glastonbury on Twitter and you are guaranteed to see a number of posts about Beyonce's performance every time, over the last week it's been masses of posts talking about Billie Eilish headlining both Coachella and Glastonbury and how this makes her the greatest thing in the world. Now it may just be the stan accounts but the size and importance of Glastonbury is definitely talked about.  

43 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm not so sure. I quite often search the word Glastonbury on Twitter and you are guaranteed to see a number of posts about Beyonce's performance every time, over the last week it's been masses of posts talking about Billie Eilish headlining both Coachella and Glastonbury and how this makes her the greatest thing in the world. Now it may just be the stan accounts but the size and importance of Glastonbury is definitely talked about.  

The stan accounts don't really matter imo they will be listening 24/7 anyway to the artists, its the public which matters and is the reason for acts taking the reduced paycheck

I've only known two Americans who were familiar with/had heard of Glastonbury, one because she lived here in the UK for a year, and the other because he is quite "into music" and had come across references to it online.

The latter is the boyfriend of my best friend in the States. They're planning on visiting here in the summer, and I had to gently let her down when she threw into conversation that "Ty suggested we pick up some Glastonbury tickets if we're over at the right time!"

"Oh, sweet summer child... one does not simply 'pick up' tickets to Glastonbury..."

• Upvote 4