2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

The artists have been generally ones who are either playing BST or arena dates around the time, or artists whose career needs a bit of a shot in the arm. Or a bit of both.

I agree that the agencies of big pop stars do see potential in playing Glastonbury but they know when to play the card.

The personal touch of Emily and the family-run festival type vibe also impacts the fest positively. But if an artist who doesn't really feel they need any image correction, doesn't show any warmth to the festival from past experience, is playing all their own big dates... I think agents won't steer them towards Glastonbury. After all, agencies keep the lights on by securing a percentage of artist fees.

Someone like The Weeknd, a huge act going out on their first stadium tour, seems like the wrong time. Maybe it doesn't suit Ariana Grande either, if she's still in the ascendancy. Then artists who have been at a high level for a long time like Madonna or Eminem probably won't be wooed by a Glastonbury offer either. I think the reason we were somewhat surprised about Kendrick when it was first put forward was that he seemed like he fit into the category but when a BST appearance was there alongside his other European fests, an appearance wasn't too much extra effort.

Do you think BST bookings come first though? I feel like BST scoop up whoever is playing Glastonbury by offering them a pay day. Completely the other way round to what you said. For acts coming over to the UK to do Glastonbury it also ensures they get a pay day. I don’t think it’s Glastonbury chasing after who BST books.

Glastonbury HQ will a fridge list of artists they think are cool and want to play someday, and they may have agents aware of the festival / have had their acts play the festival before and see the commercial benefit in playing. 

Agents will approach the festival, and the festival will be in contact with agents with connections that can let the festival know when the act is starting a new album cycle or whatever.

On a year where an artist wants to hit the European circuit and maybe do Glastonbury they will factor in other shows to at least get a bit of money from the visit. I really don’t think it’s a situation where Glasto are constantly knocking on doors I think it’s more of a conversational process. I really think Taylor’s 2020 tour started as a Glastonbury booking and other festivals in Europe heard she was around and extended it. Hence the fact that she was added to Mad Cool later than her initial announcement. I think you downplay the role of Glastonbury in all of this, Glasto is the thread that holds it together and maybe the main reason the act is doing Euro festivals at all!

If we are to think that Kendrick and Taylor were in conversation for 2020 as early as 2017, there is no way that Glastonbury is reaching out to them after they have already booked dates. I think it’s more of a “we would love to headline the festival” and “can we do it on our next tour/album cycle”.

I personally think this is what is happening with Ariana. Some arrangement that they will have her the next time it works for both parties.

2 hours ago, Sorcha17 said:

Just been watching Hans Zimmer's Coachella set from 2017, Glasto should definitely try to book him in the next couple of years, that set is absolutely incredible, would also be a very different booking.

Maaan I've been ranting about this for years. Would be astonishing for Glasto.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Do you think BST bookings come first though? I feel like BST scoop up whoever is playing Glastonbury by offering them a pay day. Completely the other way round to what you said. For acts coming over to the UK to do Glastonbury it also ensures they get a pay day. I don’t think it’s Glastonbury chasing after who BST books.

Glastonbury HQ will a fridge list of artists they think are cool and want to play someday, and they may have agents aware of the festival / have had their acts play the festival before and see the commercial benefit in playing. 

Agents will approach the festival, and the festival will be in contact with agents with connections that can let the festival know when the act is starting a new album cycle or whatever.

On a year where an artist wants to hit the European circuit and maybe do Glastonbury they will factor in other shows to at least get a bit of money from the visit. I really don’t think it’s a situation where Glasto are constantly knocking on doors I think it’s more of a conversational process. I really think Taylor’s 2020 tour started as a Glastonbury booking and other festivals in Europe heard she was around and extended it. Hence the fact that she was added to Mad Cool later than her initial announcement. I think you downplay the role of Glastonbury in all of this, Glasto is the thread that holds it together and maybe the main reason the act is doing Euro festivals at all!

If we are to think that Kendrick and Taylor were in conversation for 2020 as early as 2017, there is no way that Glastonbury is reaching out to them after they have already booked dates. I think it’s more of a “we would love to headline the festival” and “can we do it on our next tour/album cycle”.

I personally think this is what is happening with Ariana. Some arrangement that they will have her the next time it works for both parties.

I do downplay the role of Glastonbury in all this, yes. I like the festival but I don’t think the whole world is obsessed by it. Most artists don’t even see the same side of it that we do.

Maybe some North Americans can weigh in on this but I’ve talked to a few about it and it’s not very well known outside of proper music fans - certainly not a household name like Coachella - and is just a name alongside the other major European festivals. Obviously if your reference points are US music websites and festival forums you might think otherwise.

Massive historical significance in Britain, no doubt, because of how inextricably linked to modern culture it has been for thirty years, but the US barely even knows about Oasis or Blur or the legendary names linked to Glastonbury. I just don’t think Kendrick is growing up in Compton, or Ariana uploading her first videos to YouTube, dreaming of playing the Pyramid.

For agents I believe it’s more of a “this gig doesn’t pay much but it’s a big deal in the UK market and means you’re a huge name so we’re going to put this in between these two other festivals and we’ll loop back around to London before the tour wraps”. Not acts plotting the whole tour around Glastonbury.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I do downplay the role of Glastonbury in all this, yes. I like the festival but I don’t think the whole world is obsessed by it. Most artists don’t even see the same side of it that we do.

Maybe some North Americans can weigh in on this but I’ve talked to a few about it and it’s not very well known outside of proper music fans - certainly not a household name like Coachella - and is just a name alongside the other major European festivals. Obviously if your reference points are US music websites and festival forums you might think otherwise.

Massive historical significance in Britain, no doubt, because of how inextricably linked to modern culture it has been for thirty years, but the US barely even knows about Oasis or Blur or the legendary names linked to Glastonbury. I just don’t think Kendrick is growing up in Compton, or Ariana uploading her first videos to YouTube, dreaming of playing the Pyramid.

For agents I believe it’s more of a “this gig doesn’t pay much but it’s a big deal in the UK market and means you’re a huge name so we’re going to put this in between these two other festivals and we’ll loop back around to London before the tour wraps”. Not acts plotting the whole tour around Glastonbury.

Of course American acts don’t necessarily grow up dreaming of playing. Even Billie said that she hadn’t heard of it until after she played it. But in the interview she had with Clara she said she realised the importance of it after she had conversations with people about her set.

It’s not necessarily the artists I’m talking about but the agents. The agents who try and increase the market share of their artists worldwide. The sort of people Emily and co talk to all day. 

I don’t doubt that some American artists themselves are unaware of it but the industry people behind the scenes who actually plan out the whole tour will be vying to get their acts to either headline or use it as a springboard for a wider European tour.

As you say I don’t imagine Ariana’s view of Glastonbury is more than “oh cool an important show in the UK that’s a big deal. I’d love to do it”. She probably has no visibility over the reduced fee or whatever.

In short agents know it’s a big deal know and they want their acts to do it.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

West Holts headline or early pyramid?

At Coachella he played at night with a light show didn’t he? 

Hard to say, probably WH only cos a late evening Pymild slot is even more unlikely. Would love a dusky warm evening Pyramid show like 2017 XX.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not at all. I’m only referring to what people post on here. It does look like female acts have a higher bar to climb to be seen as credible headline options. People are very confident to just outright dismiss what they do as being awful too.

People here spoke about Taylor and Billie with much more vitriol than other options. Saying someone can’t headline because she is fucking dreadful isn’t criticism either. More of a personal attack.

I've seen way more hate and the constant jokes on bands like Foals and 1975 to headline over the likes of Ariana. 

Look at the comments towards George Ezra when ever he gets mentioned as a possible, its not gender specific. 

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Yep, I think its in the next 2 weeks, or nothing until the lineup in mid feb. 

We are about to get Parklife and a whole host of international festivals dropping in the next few weeks. May be a good sign as some embargoes will inevitably lift. But I’m not expecting Glasto until closer to balance payment (which really isn’t that long away).

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not at all. I’m only referring to what people post on here. It does look like female acts have a higher bar to climb to be seen as credible headline options. 

Hold up... There's a female fronted act headlining other major European festivals, and you suggested that the festival approaches bands who no longer exist before offering them a headline slot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not at all. I’m only referring to what people post on here. It does look like female acts have a higher bar to climb to be seen as credible headline options. People are very confident to just outright dismiss what they do as being awful too.

People here spoke about Taylor and Billie with much more vitriol than other options. Saying someone can’t headline because she is fucking dreadful isn’t criticism either. More of a personal attack.

This really feels like another one of those statements Matt makes that requires citation.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

We are about to get Parklife and a whole host of international festivals dropping in the next few weeks. May be a good sign as some embargoes will inevitably lift. But I’m not expecting Glasto until closer to balance payment (which really isn’t that long away).

I more meant at least headliners. 

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hold up... There's a female fronted act headlining other major European festivals, and you suggested that the festival approaches bands who no longer exist before offering them a headline slot.

Well I would consider her if the dates worked but they don’t?

Shes busy on the Sunday and Billie is headlining the Friday. She was on the Saturday last time which leads me to think she’s doing the same. 

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

This really feels like another one of those statements Matt makes that requires citation.

Ok. Page 1 of the Taylor thread

Also some lovely comments on page 1 about Florence when it looked like she was in the frame for 2015.

Do you want me to point to specific posts in these threads?

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I meant Florence and the Machine. 

You’re deliberately misinterpreting me now to get a rise but I’ve said my opinion about Florence. I enjoyed her in 2015 and i like her as an artist but I think her time as a Glastonbury headliner has come to an end. Queens Of The Stone Age and Jack White are headlining the same festivals she is and wouldn’t headline Glastonbury. Infact one is headlining the other stage this year and the other could be subbing.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also some lovely comments on page 1 about Florence when it looked like she was in the frame for 2015.

These threads are from 8 years ago

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So you're bringing up a thread from 8 years, where most of the people who gave really nasty comments don't even post on this forum anymore. There's also a majority of people saying 'sure why not' on there. 

Now lets let me go on a random thread page at people making jokes about Foals, 1975, George Ezra, or the needless hate Coldplay/Chris Martin gets when ever they're mentioned. No its not everyone doing it but there are bands and artists that people don't like and for what ever reason will slag them off to a ridiculous degree. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The worst thing about that Taylor Swift thread s that I actually wrote a hashtag.

I'm sorry, everyone.