2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, shivroy said:

Lol we're not getting Adele, pipe down. She clearly has a contract with BST AND she just headlined last album, that's way too soon. Coldplay played LAST YEAR, they're not going to have them back just a year later. 

It's funny that you are all saying that Florence is not in play bc her last album didn't sell as well as her previous one but we're considering Muse who have released a bunch of really mediocre, bad selling albums and have headlined glastonbury numerous times. Arctic Monkeys are coming up as well, whose last album sold well in the first week and then dropped off the face of the planet. Coldplay hasn't had a well-received, big selling album in ages either and yet you're putting them in contention. She headlined BST last era, sold out a big arena tour in like 10 minutes and was going to headline a sold out Boardmasters as well. Her album also stayed in the charts for a while and was nominated for a Brit and a Mercury. She's headlined all of the major festivals in Europe, some multiple times. She's big enough to headline and Emily likes her, especially as it would likely be her first big performance of this new era so it would be a totally new show. Also, she's UK-based and has stepped in last minute before. The fest would also get credit for having two female headliners when it seems like no other major UK festival can even manage to get one (i know R+L have two headliners on each day now, but note that the female is the lower one both times...shaky at best tbh). 

That being said, I do think McCartney could still be in contention and if they're looking to replace Kendrick I could definitely see them going for the Weeknd over Florence. But to say that she's not big enough to headline for the reasons you stated just doesn't make sense imo

I don’t think Coldplay should be ruled out just because they were part of the virtual Glastonbury (or whatever it was called). That being said, I don’t think we’ll see them at the festival next year but not for the reason you mentioned.

4 minutes ago, shivroy said:

Coldplay played LAST YEAR

Chris martin made several guest appearances at the last festival ? but not  the whole band Coldplay they last appeared in 2016 ? so by the time the next festival happens in 2022 thats an 8 year gap ?  2002 , 2005 , 2011 , 2016 ..... which would be the longest time we have gone without a coldplay appearance in the last 20 years 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Gorillaz' O2 arena show last summer was sensational, so much better than the Pyramid set. If they managed to pull out a load of decent guests it'd be fantastic, but I can't see it happening again for a long while.

They were fantastic at Boardmasters too, they could smash it I reckon. Shame their dates rule them out

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Chris martin made several guest appearances at the last festival ? but not  the whole band Coldplay they last appeared in 2016 ? so by the time the next festival happens in 2022 thats an 8 year gap ?  2002 , 2005 , 2011 , 2016 ..... which would be the longest time we have gone without a coldplay appearance in the last 20 years 

I meant the virtual glastonbury in 2021 which they headlined

28 minutes ago, shivroy said:

Lol we're not getting Adele, pipe down. She clearly has a contract with BST AND she just headlined last album, that's way too soon. Coldplay played LAST YEAR, they're not going to have them back just a year later. 

It's funny that you are all saying that Florence is not in play bc her last album didn't sell as well as her previous one but we're considering Muse who have released a bunch of really mediocre, bad selling albums and have headlined glastonbury numerous times. Arctic Monkeys are coming up as well, whose last album sold well in the first week and then dropped off the face of the planet. Coldplay hasn't had a well-received, big selling album in ages either and yet you're putting them in contention. She headlined BST last era, sold out a big arena tour in like 10 minutes and was going to headline a sold out Boardmasters as well. Her album also stayed in the charts for a while and was nominated for a Brit and a Mercury. She's headlined all of the major festivals in Europe, some multiple times. She's big enough to headline and Emily likes her, especially as it would likely be her first big performance of this new era so it would be a totally new show. Also, she's UK-based and has stepped in last minute before. The fest would also get credit for having two female headliners when it seems like no other major UK festival can even manage to get one (i know R+L have two headliners on each day now, but note that the female is the lower one both times...shaky at best tbh). 

That being said, I do think McCartney could still be in contention and if they're looking to replace Kendrick I could definitely see them going for the Weeknd over Florence. But to say that she's not big enough to headline for the reasons you stated just doesn't make sense imo

No one is saying Muse might play, 1 person mentioned it off the back of a new single being announced. Arctics are bigger than Florence. Coldplay, it doesn't matter that they haven't put out a good album/well received album, they're still a stadium act. 

I'm not the biggest fan of hers, but I'm not a fan of Coldplay or Muse (to an extent) either, and both of those being on top of the line up would go down better than Florence, especially after such a long break.

The more I think about Taylor the more I think that she'll want to wait until all of her re-recordings are out before she plays again. When she was booked for 2020 it was just part of her lover tour, now she seems to not be planning to tour again until after they're done...which I think makes her more likely for 2023 or 2024 at the rate she's going. Setting up a whole show takes time away from her re-recordings and isn't something she seems interested in doing right now? I'm sure if she was around tho, Emily would have her

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

6 years, but your point still stands. Coldplay have got to be in the mix considering it’s such an odd year 

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

No one is saying Muse might play, 1 person mentioned it off the back of a new single being announced. Arctics are bigger than Florence. Coldplay, it doesn't matter that they haven't put out a good album/well received album, they're still a stadium act. 

I'm not the biggest fan of hers, but I'm not a fan of Coldplay or Muse (to an extent) either, and both of those being on top of the line up would go down better than Florence, especially after such a long break.

Fair enough. But Chris Martin has said that Coldplay aren't doing it for this go around. Arctic Monkeys are headlining Reading and Leeds and my understanding is that R+L and Glasto don't usually share headliners (also, I'd argue they're about the same size as Florence but they're dudes with guitars so they're always easier for festivals to book).

So if AM and Coldplay are out and, for sake of argument, the 2020 headliners are out. Who do you think is reasonable as a 2022 headliner?

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

In fairness, they haven't played since last decade

43 minutes ago, shivroy said:

Arctic Monkeys are headlining Reading and Leeds and my understanding is that R+L and Glasto don't usually share headliners (also, I'd argue they're about the same size as Florence but they're dudes with guitars so they're always easier for festivals to book).

Arctic Monkeys are far bigger than Florence and the Machine, they are globally the big name headliner at practically any festival they go to. Florence would be the smallest of the three. They sold out 4 dates at the o2 last tour in minutes and could easily have sold out another few dates

50 minutes ago, shivroy said:

Fair enough. But Chris Martin has said that Coldplay aren't doing it for this go around. Arctic Monkeys are headlining Reading and Leeds and my understanding is that R+L and Glasto don't usually share headliners (also, I'd argue they're about the same size as Florence but they're dudes with guitars so they're always easier for festivals to book).

So if AM and Coldplay are out and, for sake of argument, the 2020 headliners are out. Who do you think is reasonable as a 2022 headliner?

Me personally? If none of the 2020 headliners come back I really have no idea. Which is where this forum becomes silly and fun and starts thinking of all sorts of acts. Which is how talks about Florence can start. Its also a very strange year, which helps with the hilarity. If she shows up, good for her and her band, but it'll be a small booking and I will be elsewhere.

I honestly believe it'll be Macca and Taylor, but thats more out of hope (for Taylor) than anything else.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Arctic Monkeys are far bigger than Florence and the Machine, they are globally the big name headliner at practically any festival they go to. Florence would be the smallest of the three. They sold out 4 dates at the o2 last tour in minutes and could easily have sold out another few dates

lol that is so easily debunked, at Lolla chicago last time they each played she was the 3rd name and they were the 4th. Same with ACL. Florence played two full arena tours in the USA last time and Arctic Monkeys did one tour that had a few arenas and mostly theatres. They played the same amount of arenas in the UK also, just did more in London than she did (but overall the same number). She had more arena dates in mainland Europe too. Coldplay is bigger than both of them for sure though.

12 minutes ago, shivroy said:

lol that is so easily debunked, at Lolla chicago last time they each played she was the 3rd name and they were the 4th. Same with ACL. Florence played two full arena tours in the USA last time and Arctic Monkeys did one tour that had a few arenas and mostly theatres. They played the same amount of arenas in the UK also, just did more in London than she did (but overall the same number). She had more arena dates in mainland Europe too. Coldplay is bigger than both of them for sure though.

It’s absolutely daft to suggest Florence and the Machine are at the same level as Arctic Monkeys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, shivroy said:

(also, I'd argue they're about the same size as Florence but they're dudes with guitars so they're always easier for festivals to book).

You think Florence is as big as Arctic Monkeys?

Has a Florence stan Twitter account found it’s way onto efestivals?

1 hour ago, shivroy said:

Rolling Stones, Adele, The Weeknd, Kanye West, Foo Fighters, Guns and Roses, maybe even Beyoncé are all options I’d say. All rumoured to be hitting the road (whether all make it onto the road is another thing).

(some already in the area).

Edited by Matt42