2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

20 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Wow, what a few pages to catch up on. Who the hell are SHM? never heard of them? Sam Fender to headline? the Weeknd (who I have at least heard of but his SuperBowl HT show was dull as ditchwater). 

I'd actually like to see Flo headline as she clashed with one of my all time fave Alabama 3 sets in the Glade the last time she headlined.

I'm looking forward to seeing Billie and probably being underwhelmed by the other two headliners, grumpy old man that I am.

That said it is thoroughly refreshing to see the fire of speculation well and truly lit as we move into the pre-announcement period. 

I suspect that Emily's emergency back ups are ready (Flo/FF/Muse/George Ezra etc) whilst she continues to see if Macca and Kendrick can make it. The Covid situation seems to really be hitting the US acts the hardest which must be making this a nightmare to put together.

I think you are probably one of a very small minority who thought the Weekends half time show was dull. I think it was frigging brilliant and I usually hate pop music. If Billie's last appearance is anything to go by she needs work miracles to pull out a good headline performance. She is not made for singing live with all the whispering. I do like her though. 

I think Macca has to still be nailed on for me, no other commitments etc. Leaves the 3rd spot up for grabs...  Could still be Kendrick as he also has no commitments but as you say the US UK travel may still be an issue then.

I have no interest in Kendrick so im hoping he cant make it personally haha 🙂 Id prefer any from FF, Arctic Monkeys, Foals, Flo, Muse....

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

I think you are probably one of a very small minority who thought the Weekends half time show was dull. I think it was frigging brilliant and I usually hate pop music. If Billie's last appearance is anything to go by she needs work miracles to pull out a good headline performance. She is not made for singing live with all the whispering. I do like her though. 

I think Macca has to still be nailed on for me, no other commitments etc. Leaves the 3rd spot up for grabs...  Could still be Kendrick as he also has no commitments but as you say the US UK travel may still be an issue then.

I have no interest in Kendrick so im hoping he cant make it personally haha 🙂 Id prefer any from FF, Arctic Monkeys, Foals, Flo, Muse....

Admittedly not my style of music but I was intrigued and watched with an open mind, just didn't do anything for me. I'm more than happy to give these artists a look though, it is interesting trying to expand my horizons. I'm pretty sure The Weeknd would smash a headline performance at Glastonbury though as his popularity cannot be denied.

Agree with you re Kendrick and your alternates.

47 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Wow, what a few pages to catch up on. Who the hell are SHM? never heard of them?

Swedish House Mafia were basically a house/big room supergroup of Swedish DJs who were big 10 years ago and split up, now people hate 2/3 of the groups individual projects so they get back together. It's like the big room equivalent of Oasis getting back together and people start saying it's the return of Britpop.

I'm not a fan personally, I need my djs wearing silly helmets like Marshmello and deadmau5 to take them seriously.

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

IF we are to have a total new set of headliners, my ideal trio at this stage would be Billie, GnR and Florence. That would suit me down to the ground. Great mix of styles, very cool to have majority of headliners women for the first time and three top bookings in a difficult time. Not fully ready to move on from the 2020 lot given Michaels comment (yes I know…) about having largely the same lineup, things may have changed obviously, but we’ll see. 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I still refuse to give up on Kendrick.

I was doing, but Little Stevie’s tweet has sent shockwaves. If Springsteen had a tour plotted and they’ve moved it a year because of how things look now, they certainly aren’t going to be the only ones. And we were of course waiting on artists who didn’t have tour dates in the diary yet.

January is a crucial month for summer fests and big touring acts making a stop/go decision. We’ll see how it pans out.

I think Glastonbury being in a position where they can get legit names to step in at fairly short notice - and even make huge occasions out of someone stepping up to the gig - then we’re alright even if no more massive touring acts are added to the pool.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I still refuse to give up on Kendrick.

Kendrick was asked to fill in for RATM at Coachella and declined according to consequence of sound. You can interpret that in 2 ways…

a) Coachella asked Kendrick and Tyler because they know both of them are touring later in the year. Kendrick said no because it’s too early or whatever. But it’s a subtle confirmation that Kendrick is infact around next year. Maybe it’s a red herring though as he is at the super bowl. Not necessarily a proper tour.

b) Kendrick turning Coachella down means he’s not in a shape to tour and they’ve just asked someone they know.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was doing, but Little Stevie’s tweet has sent shockwaves. If Springsteen had a tour plotted and they’ve moved it a year because of how things look now, they certainly aren’t going to be the only ones. And we were of course waiting on artists who didn’t have tour dates in the diary yet.

January is a crucial month for summer fests and big touring acts making a stop/go decision. We’ll see how it pans out.

I think Glastonbury being in a position where they can get legit names to step in at fairly short notice - and even make huge occasions out of someone stepping up to the gig - then we’re alright even if no more massive touring acts are added to the pool.

Emily’s post was incredibly bullish. They have two headliners locked in. She never plays her hand that way unless she’s confident.

Lets see how this goes but my prediction now is we have two UK acts fixed for the final two slots. Or, an American act extremely up for playing. That they’ve managed to back fill the spots left by Paul and Kendrick pretty quickly.

I have my own thoughts about who these could be. But Emily’s insta post sounded extremely bullish I don’t think we are looking at a Florence and the machine situation at all.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Miyn said:

What was Emily's post? Was it just the happy new year and news coming soon post, or was there something more?

Just the post - but if you have spent years following how Emily Eavis speaks you can notice nuances in how she addresses things. Usually if they are having a sticky year she can go quiet and not talk about the lineup at all.

For her to say news soon it has to mean that they’ve got it locked in. She never promises the lineup!

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Curveball theory: from out of nowhere, Emily will negotiate a deal with Madonna, who'll headline Saturday.

Flo to close on Sunday. All female headliners achievement unlocked.

This is the sort of curveball we come here for, as long as it's a career spanning set from Madge I am in. I think there could be some mileage in all female headline trio.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just the post - but if you have spent years following how Emily Eavis speaks you can notice nuances in how she addresses things. Usually if they are having a sticky year she can go quiet and not talk about the lineup at all.

For her to say news soon it has to mean that they’ve got it locked in. She never promises the lineup!

Cheers. Emily's usually great at not giving away anything, so it's interesting to see analysis over what she says depending on the type of year they're having. Only been here since 2019 so I don't think I've experienced a year where they've struggled to find headliners and then not said much but I'll take your word for it.

19 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think there’s a growing chance that 2022 is a totally new set of headliners and 2023 is the 2020 lot. 

I'm starting to think this as well, theres been months of: "X festival is announcing some names which one of our trio was booked to play in 2020 so there's a chance it could be them" and they've all come to nothing so far. If they announced some dates they could be back in the frame but I've been waiting for these dates so long, I don't think they're happening.

Saying that, I have nothing to add on of who I think will be there to replace them. I have no clue and no one looks that likely at the moment which seems a bit of a contradiction. It's a bit odd how Michael said the big acts are similar to 2020 though, very strange. Especially as he sometimes let's things slip, like asking people what they though of Billie Eilish. However, I do think that The Rolling Stones would absolutely kill it if they were to be booked again.

I genuinely can't see Kendrick now. I still have my hopes on Macca and outside of him not doing much, (he wasn't in 2020 from what I remember) I can't see a legit reason why it can't be him, unless I've missed something? 

As for Florence and the Machine, I really kind of hope not, just not a fan at all and personally would be a let down after the triple header of 2020 and then having to wait so long for her to replace them, I'd be very much elsewhere and I think it would be a very small crowd depending on who else is around. 

• Upvote 1