2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I think we're going to start either having to think about old friends (Coldplay, Muse, etc) or acts that you'd expect to headline Other/JP/sub... Maybe they give someone a big bump such as Wolf Alice or Royal Blood?

Yeah. This feels more realistic to me rather than these wishlists of US megastars. 

Was quite taken by the Billie / Macca / GnR arguments tho. 

I think we're going to start either having to think about old friends (Coldplay, Muse, etc) or acts that you'd expect to headline Other/JP/sub... Maybe they give someone a big bump such as Wolf Alice or Royal Blood?

No chance a R&L sub would headline glasto. Take your fan goggles off.

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Although there’s a first time for everything, especially with this summer of touring and festivals still potentially on the line what with the virus, I don’t see them having to bump up somebody who shouldn’t really be headlining. We may get one of the old standards or somebody we just weren’t expecting, but not a really weak one. 

Just now, whitehorses said:

Yeah. This feels more realistic to me rather than these wishlists of US megastars. 

Was quite taken by the Billie / Macca / GnR arguments tho. 

Do we know whether Arctic Monkeys are exclusive to R+L?

I know it would usually be very very unlikely to see R+L share a headliner with Glasto, but if it gets down to it, maybe Emily picks up the phone?

You'd have thought that AM wouldn't turn that down to start a new era if asked and it was contractually possible

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No chance a R&L sub would headline glasto. Take your fan goggles off.

I assume it's Wolf Alice subbing? I feel like I'd have known if it was Royal Blood... No fan goggles here if so, I strongly dislike Wolf Alice 🤣

Was just throwing some names out... Maybe we could just talk about Foals again?

4 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

What about Tyler the creator? Kendrick profile and touring around Europe that dates. That's another contender even though I don't see him headlining the pyramid. 

Headlining festivals the size of Lovebox and Parklife… really not pyramid level.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They played their IOU in 2017.

If anything, Glastonbury owes Florence a proper headline slot for stepping in at two weeks notice with a bare bones setup in 2015.

They hold the festival in high regard. I’d like to think Dave has given Emily his phone number if they ever need them.

Didn’t some user a while ago say they heard FF approached the festival to play?

59 minutes ago, gfa said:

On a serious note do we think any reunions will be back soon?

Pulp haven't been about for a while would be a great pyramid sub at some point

Much as I'd love to see it happen, I don't think Pulp come back again as Jarvis has spoken about being conscious of tainting their legacy. As it stands right now they went out how they wanted, and made a ton of money in the process.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Much as I'd love to see it happen, I don't think Pulp come back again as Jarvis has spoken about being conscious of tainting their legacy. As it stands right now they went out how they wanted, and made a ton of money in the process.

Surely the odd one off wouldn’t massively taint their legacy?

One of my biggest gig regrets was having tickets for what turned out to be Pulp’s last show in Sheffield but being unable to go.

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although there’s a first time for everything, especially with this summer of touring and festivals still potentially on the line what with the virus, I don’t see them having to bump up somebody who shouldn’t really be headlining. We may get one of the old standards or somebody we just weren’t expecting, but not a really weak one. 

Do you think Royal Blood would necessarily be weak? Last time they played, everyone assumed that if they were to play again, they may well headline. The only thing that de-values them a bit for me is the fact they headlined every medium-sized festival in 2021

Re: Florence
- Her booking agent gave an interview a few months back saying that Florence + her team want her to headline glasto properly one day (i.e. not as a replacement)

- she has an album coming out this year, multiple insiders have confirmed this. Probably due out this summer. People seem to think it's going to be a banger commercially and critically, moreso than High as Hope was
- she was rumoured for 2021 and has a good relationship with the festival, Emily called into an interview Flo did on Radio 2 last era

I could see Glasto being her first big show back, since she's conspicuously absent from speculations around many earlier US fests right now. 

• Upvote 1

Do you think Royal Blood would necessarily be weak? Last time they played, everyone assumed that if they were to play again, they may well headline. The only thing that de-values them a bit for me is the fact they headlined every medium-sized festival in 2021

Yeah I just don’t think they are or ever will be a Glastonbury headliner. I think they’ve pretty much plateaued at about Pyramid sub or OS headliner level and would certainly be looked at as a weaker headliner if they were given the bump up (by todays standards, anyway). 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I just don’t think they are or ever will be a Glastonbury headliner. I think they’ve pretty much plateaued at about Pyramid sub or OS headliner level and would certainly be looked at as a weaker headliner if they were given the bump up (by todays standards, anyway). 

Fair enough. I personally am the opposite. I think they could headline on their next album. Typhoons was a little weak, but they're probably the biggest 'fringe' band out there right now, that are just out of touch of headlining major festivals (unless you count Kasabian, but they're almost an anomaly at the moment) and I think if anyone is going to make a step up, it's them