2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Ahhh I see ! got excited for rage at glasto for a moment 

In short - I thought Kendrick was at Coachella which would explain why his 2022 dates would be kept quiet. Doesn’t look like he is - so I’m getting nervous at his Glastonbury chances.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe Coachella just didn’t want Kendrick?

Chances are he won’t even have an album out by Coachella. With the amount he demands for a typical show being reportedly quite high, getting him in at the risk of no new material since last time seems like a poor gamble.

It’s all just looking a bit tight and places where Kendrick can play are looking slimmer. Virtually everywhere but Neil’s info is saying Kendrick isn’t around. 

I know we go in circles contemplating this but if it’s not Kendrick or Macca then who have we got? Bruce? Who realistically could we have because if kenny isn’t on the coachella lineup, then I agree with Matt, it makes it seem a tad unlikely though he could just be doing an American tour he’s announcing first with European dates later or something else. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s all just looking a bit tight and places where Kendrick can play are looking slimmer. Virtually everywhere but Neil’s info is saying Kendrick isn’t around. 

Well Coachella, as you say, is very local to him so wouldn’t have impacted anything to do with him being in Somerset.

We do know he has an album out next year at some point - he’s announced it - so its reasonable to expect that he’ll be looking at doing a few shows, even if they are prior to that release.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well Coachella, as you say, is very local to him so wouldn’t have impacted anything to do with him being in Somerset.

We do know he has an album out next year at some point - he’s announced it - so its reasonable to expect that he’ll be looking at doing a few shows, even if they are prior to that release.

Going around in circles but my prediction was that GV had an exclusivity clause on him which prevented him announcing other shows. Glasto and some other EU festivals could wait until Jan or so to announce him but others couldn’t - which is why it was whisper quiet. 

6 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I know we go in circles contemplating this but if it’s not Kendrick or Macca then who have we got? Bruce? Who realistically could we have because if kenny isn’t on the coachella lineup, then I agree with Matt, it makes it seem a tad unlikely though he could just be doing an American tour he’s announcing first with European dates later or something else. 

I think now all we’ve got is him doing a few random hype shows to promote new material. Perhaps the album isn’t as done as it seems and we may get him fresh after a few single drops? The SuperBowl in Feb I guess is our next calendar date to see if anything moves.

5 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Haven’t all if not most of the European festivals Kendrick was meant to be playing already announced their headliners?

Pretty much - or said they’ve not got him (Rosklide).

Unsure if Les Ardentes have him either as the headliners look to be Megan Thee Stallion, Tyler The Creator, A$AP Rocky, and Stromae.

https://www.lesardentes.be/festival/en/line-up/day-by-day

Edited by Matt42

31 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Forgive me if I’ve missed it, but I’d there a reason why Lady Gaga has been ruled out?

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's probably been suggested before but if they do have him, would/could Coachella be prepared to announce Kendrick (and the rest of their lineup), after the Superbowl performance? I appreciate it's alongside others but it might be the perfect time to do so, it's bound to be a fantastic show

Coachella is dropping today apparently (US time so maybe late for us).

Also the headliners for coachella look to be rage, Billie, ye

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Chromatica ball looks to be cancelled in its entirety and no indication she’s doing anything

I don’t think it is… Gaga has been quite clear that it’s postponed until she can rearrange dates with certainty. And given that the original tour was only announced in March 2020 and has relatively few stops, it’s likely we’ll see rearranged dates confirmed in next couple of months.

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Or tomorrow, fwiw. It's a working holiday in the States too.

I still think The Weeknd's hints about 'wake up at dawn' and all this pre-release rumble means we can't discount him. Ye has form in pulling bookings because the production is not to his liking. Maybe Abel is on standby.

Maybe we need to start talking about the Weeknd headlining Glasto 2022

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

"The tour dates are moving and will commence in the summer of 2022."

I mean... please

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Don't want to get hopes up. Don't want to dine on scraps. But he would absolutely crush it.

I mean if we are talking about huge acts that would be on Glasto’s fridge-list for some time I can’t see why he wouldn’t be? Comfortably one of the biggest acts in the world that hasn’t done it. He has plenty of hits to do it.

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Don't want to get hopes up. Don't want to dine on scraps. But he would absolutely crush it.

Well you can stick those hopes back where they came from...

He's been very clear that this next joint is a stadium tour 'due to constraints of arenas'. I think Glastonbury would be similarly constraining.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He's been very clear that this next joint is a stadium tour 'due to constraints of arenas'. I think Glastonbury would be similarly constraining.

Meh I always read into that “I can sell way more tickets than I already have so I’m upgrading to stadiums”.

An act can do stadiums and Glastonbury. Plus he could have been asked towards the back end of this year if Kendrick decided he didn’t want to tour.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The quote was “Due to constraints of arenas and the demand for more shows I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums”

Seems that the constraints of arenas could also be referring to the backlog of dates for due to covid, which is less of an issue at stadiums. It’s probably easier to book a stadium show than three arena shows at this point.  Certainly can’t rule him out. Would be a fantastic booking for the festival. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Meh I always read into that “I can sell way more tickets than I already have so I’m upgrading to stadiums”.

An act can do stadiums and Glastonbury. 

FFS. Of course they can. Like seemingly every post you make nowadays, you're saying something that everyone knows to be true and isn't at all what I'm arguing against. You should go into politics.

Abel is notoriously committed to his craft and the performance. The massive spectacle of the Superbowl Halftime show has probably stepped up what he wants to put on for the tour. What's more - he also isn't doing any festivals so far, so how is he any more likely than Kendrick?

Additionally, he has a massive fuckoff ego so I can't see him being convinced to step down his stage show and his fee demands to headline Glastonbury due to the 'increased exposure'

4 minutes ago, zero000 said:

The quote was “Due to constraints of arenas and the demand for more shows I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums”

Seems that the constraints of arenas could also be referring to the backlog of dates for due to covid, which is less of an issue at stadiums. It’s probably easier to book a stadium show than three arena shows at this point.  Certainly can’t rule him out. Would be a fantastic booking for the festival. 

What does the 'I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums' mean then?

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

It would be a brilliant booking, and dare I say a more popular option than Kendrick. Even those of us who dab down on King Kenny can't be too mad that a like-for-like replacement has been found.

Just don't want to imagine a shiny new booking emerges for this year's festival with absolutely no precedent or rumours tilting in that direction. But I hope Abel does it soon — 2023, 24 or whenever.

I would agree with this.

I don't think it's particularly 'like-for-like' as, well, him and Kendrick would be very different. But he's someone who is going to be looked back on as one of the standout stars in music for this period in history, and getting him right now would be perfect.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

FFS. Of course they can. Like seemingly every post you make nowadays, you're saying something that everyone knows to be true and isn't at all what I'm arguing against. You should go into politics.

Abel is notoriously committed to his craft and the performance. The massive spectacle of the Superbowl Halftime show has probably stepped up what he wants to put on for the tour. What's more - he also isn't doing any festivals so far, so how is he any more likely than Kendrick?

Additionally, he has a massive fuckoff ego so I can't see him being convinced to step down his stage show and his fee demands to headline Glastonbury due to the 'increased exposure'

What does the 'I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums' mean then?

I think you read my posts to be more contentious than they are. My point was that he said he was doing a stadium tour - but this was a while ago, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was approached by the festival toward the back end of last year (if the dates fit). Maybe Glasto HQ got notice of him being local and chased after him.

It looks like he’s dropping dates soon so maybe we will have an answer to this soonish. 

Also Glasto seems to be getting good at booking the money hungry high ego acts lately. I’m not going to doubt their ability to rope in the Weeknd.

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

It would be a brilliant booking, and dare I say a more popular option than Kendrick. Even those of us who dab down on King Kenny can't be too mad that a like-for-like replacement has been found.

Just don't want to imagine a shiny new booking emerges for this year's festival with absolutely no precedent or rumours tilting in that direction. But I hope Abel does it soon — 2023, 24 or whenever.

Funny that - I agree. I’d prefer Kendrick but you can’t lie that he has major crossover appeal. I reckon even my mum knows some of his songs.

2022 would be nice, but I reckon he’s a shout for a future edition too.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I completely agree that’s all about the big production but there’s no reason he couldn’t have an adapted or different big production for festival slots also. 

4 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I completely agree that’s all about the big production but there’s no reason he couldn’t have an adapted or different big production for festival slots also. 

Sure, in another year I think it is possible. Not suggesting he's one of these acts who will never do festivals because he has a setup every time he tours. But in a year where he seems to be promising big production stadium shows that he canned the previous tour to do, and isn't doing festivals (so far), I think it's off the menu.