2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

I hear "friend of the festival" "so close to the festival" what does that actually mean. How is Adele "so close to the festival", are the who really Friends of the festival. I know some are obvious as they play there alot or are mates, like coldplay/chems and Nick was a magaer so knows people. But nowadays if someone plays it is all "Friends of the festival"

Just wondering

I can find evidence for all of this but I think this sums it up.

Emily referred to her recently as the child of Glastonbury festival. Someone who has been attending since she was very small and has featured / written about Glastonbury many times, including the book. She also said that she wants the festival to be an important part of her sons life too, and wants him to attend when he can.

I also think her referring many times that Glastonbury / headlining Glastonbury was the highlight of her career to date is one too. 

As @Earth_pigsaid I can’t see them turning Adele away if she wanted to do it. Glastonbury is the only major festival Adele has done and other festivals (Coachella) can’t get her no matter how much money they throw at her.

The fact she’s chosen a big gig in a field as her grand return to live shows (sidestepping Wembley dates) probably indicates that she prefers to do those than massive stadiums / arenas. She’s a festival attendee at heart and probably prefers that sort of show.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The fact she’s chosen a big gig in a field as her grand return to live shows (sidestepping Wembley dates) probably indicates that she prefers to do those than massive stadiums / arenas. She’s a festival attendee at heart and probably prefers that sort of show.

Not sure how much choice she had if the big stadia were already filled booked.

More likely is that BST threw a massive wad of cash at her.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Hmm potentially but there were plenty of other options to Wembley - Tottenham stadium for example would have been a good fit for her.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm potentially but there were plenty of other options to Wembley - Tottenham stadium for example would have been a good fit for her.

Again, depends if there is any availability. They’ve already got GnR and Gaga there at the very least. There’s a limit on how many gigs they can have due to the football season. Likewise the Emirates and the London Stadium.

When the likes of Sheeran have blocked out four nights and Coldplay have six or seven you wonder if she just left it too late.

I don’t think there is anything more complicated here than availability and the money on offer to do BST.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Again, depends if there is any availability. They’ve already got GnR and Gaga there at the very least. There’s a limit on how many gigs they can have due to the football season. Likewise the Emirates and the London Stadium.

When the likes of Sheeran have blocked out four nights and Coldplay have six or seven you wonder if she just left it too late.

I don’t think there is anything more complicated here than availability and the money on offer to do BST.

Hmm not sure about the leaving it too late thing. Adele’s next release has been in the minds of the public since 2019 when she was working on the album, and every promoter / label would know that she was on route to tour again. Her team would have placed holds over a year in advance if they knew a new album was near completion, and every promoter would factor this in if there was a chance of securing Adele.

it was reported in the mirror that her team hadn’t been placing any holds for stadiums (North America mind)… but looking at other alternatives. Source below.

Adele's booking team has not yet placed any holds for major arenas and stadium dates in North America, according to sources speaking with Billboard.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm not sure about the leaving it too late thing. Adele’s next release has been in the minds of the public since 2019 when she was working on the album, and every promoter / label would know that she was on route to tour again. Her team would have placed holds over a year in advance if they knew a new album was near completion, and every promoter would factor this in if there was a chance of securing Adele.

it was reported in the mirror that her team hadn’t been placing any holds for stadiums (North America mind)… but looking at other alternatives. Source below.

So would Sheeran's team, so would Coldplay's.... given that they got their albums out first and their dates on sale and sold out before Adele had even announced anything you have to suspect hey got there first. You also need to remember that space at the big stadia was always going to be limited with the various gigs carried over from the last two years.

Bookers at Wembley aren't going to turn Sheeran down because they've heard Adele might be releasing something. Both will sell out so it makes no difference to them.

The reason she hasn't placed holds on anything in the US was that she was/is looking at doing a Vegas residency, and that was going to be the extent of her US activity for this album (mainly due to exclusivity, I imagine). I don't know if that's changed or not, but if that's her general approach to it then the BST one-off makes sense and I could potentially see her doing something like an O2 residency in late 2022/early 2023 if she's trying to minimise physical touring.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Well the same people who put on BST are the same who put on Coachella so you can do some math on that one.

50 minutes ago, kalifire said:

She’ll take the most lucrative option. She’d be all over an exclusive residency at Vegas if it bagged her more cash than a tour. 

Depends how many Vegas dates are done. The same billboard article that mentioned no holds on arenas or stadiums also compared Vegas vs Large venue. Over the long term Vegas yielded more money. But Stadiums would be the route if this was short and aweet.

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

She’ll take the most lucrative option. She’d be all over an exclusive residency at Vegas if it bagged her more cash than a tour. 

I thought Adele preferred doing fewer, bigger shows rather than tons of smaller ones due to stagefright? Not sure if this is still the case but factoring in that residencies seem unlikely

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

I thought Adele preferred doing fewer, bigger shows rather than tons of smaller ones due to stagefright? Not sure if this is still the case but factoring in that residencies seem unlikely

Performing twice a week in a controlled environment is much easier than moving stadium to stadium. Vegas would be a contract with a set amount of shows for a certain price. Lets say 50 million for 20 performances. They all dont have to be in succession anyway. Lady Gaga just did hers in separate blocks. 3 weekends then a break, another 3 weekends then a break and so on and so forth.  And you guarantee yourself the money compared to a regular tour where you potentially might not sell out every date. That is not to say Adele would not sell out her tour, but even the largest acts arent impervious to that. So lets say in theory Adele had some Vegas dates in February,  May, August and November. You just fill in the rest of the time within reason so the performances stay top notch. And scarcity is also a good thing. Less dates means people will be more prone to buying a ticket cause you dont know when or if she is coming back.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Performing twice a week in a controlled environment is much easier than moving stadium to stadium. Vegas would be a contract with a set amount of shows for a certain price. Lets say 50 million for 20 performances. They all dont have to be in succession anyway. Lady Gaga just did hers in separate blocks. 3 weekends then a break, another 3 weekends then a break and so on and so forth.  And you guarantee yourself the money compared to a regular tour where you potentially might not sell out every date. That is not to say Adele would not sell out her tour, but even the largest acts arent impervious to that. So lets say in theory Adele had some Vegas dates in February,  May, August and November. You just fill in the rest of the time within reason so the performances stay top notch. And scarcity is also a good thing. Less dates means people will be more prone to buying a ticket cause you dont know when or if she is coming back.

Thanks for the explanation

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Adele is a bit of a fibber and her humour is a bit self deprecating. She can’t have a problem with crowds and then perform to 100,000 people a night at Wembley.

I think she does it to appear more endearing, but she is definitely beyond the point of not doing shows because she’s scared of crowd size.