2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

6 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Aye. They're all fucking bonkers. 

if they find this message you'll get death threats to your door, Glass Animals were in a chart race with her last year and one of them made a joke on twitter and thousands of her fans were hounding them for weeks. i still see it on tiktoks with Heat Waves people in the comments mentioning their beef

Adele was never a serious contender, three festivals and just one album since her last appearance? It'd be the same basic set with a couple of new ones chucked in.

I've made no secret of how much I enjoyed her 2016 set. she absolutely smashed it, but I can't see any need to return to it any time soon. There was a whole narrative on the night about her overcoming her stage fright, doing the gig she always wanted to and nailing it. Loses its magic a little if she's back a few years later and it becomes just another massive show for her.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Adele was never a serious contender, three festivals and just one album since her last appearance? It'd be the same basic set with a couple of new ones chucked in. 

Playing Devil's advocate / bored at work here but isn't this true of all the [slightly more] heritage acts that have done it before? The Who, even The Cure to an extent. In fact if it was, idk, Muse - also headlined in 2016 and have released one album since - would this be a complaint? 

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Playing Devil's advocate / bored at work here but isn't this true of all the [slightly more] heritage acts that have done it before? The Who, even The Cure to an extent. In fact if it was, idk, Muse - also headlined in 2016 and have released one album since - would this be a complaint? 

My personal view is that any returning headliner should have at least three new albums before headlining again.

Just now, Tuna said:

Sure but you framed is as 'serious contender' not 'personal preference'! 

I don't think she was ever a contender, for the same reason Coldplay weren't and Muse aren't even being discussed. There is such a rich and diverse pool of potential headliners for 2022 that the festival doesn't need to trot out someone who only headlined three festivals ago. At least Coldplay/Muse have 7 or 8 albums in the can behind them and in theory could change their setlists up considerably to the ones they played before, Adele headlined on her third and if she came back on #4 it's not going to be wildly different to what came before is it?

I'm not that plugged into the evolution of Coldplay and Muse setlists but my perception of them is that they are crowd pleasers, that you know what you're gonna get. Don't see why Adele is any different really but hey ho. Just found the reasoning pretty interesting is all. 

Happy to park the Adele talk. My final comment being that if this year isn’t the year I do expect the festival to bring her back at some point.

One year they will need a massive headliner. Adele being so close to the festival will be something Emily will want to keep in her back pocket.

We’ve seen with the return of the Who that sometimes Glastonbury need to rope in someone massive and it has to be a friend of the festival. Ruling out Adele forever because she did really well in 2016 wouldn’t be a smart business decision.

In the same way that bringing back Blur would dampen 2009 a bit, it’s been a long time since that show and probably a whole new Glastonbury audience attends the festival now. I don’t agree with the view that some headliners should just never return. Beyoncé for example should return some point soon as she has released some of her best work since she last headlined.

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Happy to park the Adele talk. My final comment being that if this year isn’t the year I do expect the festival to bring her back at some point.

One year they will need a massive headliner. Adele being so close to the festival will be something Emily will want to keep in her back pocket.

We’ve seen with the return of the Who that sometimes Glastonbury need to rope in someone massive and it has to be a friend of the festival. Ruling out Adele forever because she did really well in 2016 wouldn’t be a smart business decision. In the same way that bringing back Blur would dampen 2009 a bit, but it’s been a long time since that show and probably a whole new Glastonbury audience. I don’t agree with the view that some headliners should just never return. Beyoncé for example should return some point soon as she has released some of her best work since she last headlined.

I hear "friend of the festival" "so close to the festival" what does that actually mean. How is Adele "so close to the festival", are the who really Friends of the festival. I know some are obvious as they play there alot or are mates, like coldplay/chems and Nick was a magaer so knows people. But nowadays if someone plays it is all "Friends of the festival"

Just wondering

Edited by fred quimby

22 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I hear "friend of the festival" "so close to the festival" what does that actually mean. How is Adele "so close to the festival", are the who really Friends of the festival. I know some are obvious as they play there alot or are mates, like coldplay/chems and Nick was a magaer so knows people. But nowadays if someone plays it is all "Friends of the festival"

Just wondering

Someone better at photoshop than me needs to knock up the Friends cast.

Chris Martin's head on all the male members.

35 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Just wondering

In the case of Adele, it's because she was attending as a punter for years, played the Guardian Lounge in I think 2007 as an unknown, and after she got famous kept attending as guest of the Festival.

I agree that sometimes it can be a fairly vague and meaningless term, but in this case it's appropriate.

• Thanks 1