2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, waltere said:

Interesting that a few months back the general consensus seemed to be that Taylor was the most nailed on returner out of 2020's trio, and now it seems all but certain that she's the only one not back

That was just Matt42 stating his wishes as fact every day and posting essays to anyone who disagreed, to be fair.

I swear she hasn’t looked particularly likely to return at any point.

11 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

No - I want Kenny - I’m not upset 😂

I was just wondering if it actually mattered or not seeing as he was Friday in 2020. E.g. Sat the big day for TV, Sunday a band the locals like etc. 

Did the locals want Sheeran in 2017? If not for Macca or even Elton being available, then you couldve maybe had Kendrick on Sunday and its a true sign that there shouldnt be a headliner catered just for those few thousand  people who live in the region. Theyre not going to have very many artists they like be a Sunday headliner in a few years anyway.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Did the locals want Sheeran in 2017? If not for Macca or even Elton being available, then you couldve maybe had Kendrick on Sunday and its a true sign that there shouldnt be a headliner catered just for those few thousand  people who live in the region. Theyre not going to have very many artists they like be a Sunday headliner in a few years anyway.

Did the locals want nigh on the most popular/accessible act in the world? Probably.

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Sheeran is/was one of the biggest acts on the planet, and arguably the most "locals friendly" of the 2017 trio.

5 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

That was just Matt42 stating his wishes as fact every day and posting essays to anyone who disagreed, to be fair.

I swear she hasn’t looked particularly likely to return at any point.

I mean for the last few months, as concrete info about various acts & festivals' plans for 2022 have become clearer yes, but I meant back in April/May sort of time, when pretty much everything was pure speculation.

12 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Probably. The dude is one of the biggest celebrities in the country. You can't really get any more well known, easy going and Radio 2 than Ed Sheeran.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just had a flashback to a debate on here that the 2013 Sunday Locals would have preferred Mumford and Sons to the Stones as they play music more suited to rural Somerset farming types.

It's a known fact that Somerset farmers spend all day listening to the Wurzels and drinking moonshine out of those big jugs with the X's on them. 

17 minutes ago, waltere said:

I mean for the last few months, as concrete info about various acts & festivals' plans for 2022 have become clearer yes, but I meant back in April/May sort of time, when pretty much everything was pure speculation.

I think as soon as she started putting out rerecordings it seemed quite likely she would probably wait till after she was done with all of those to be done and out before topping the pointy one

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

With the license extending over so many years, do the locals really have that much sway over things any more? Griffiths can yabber away all she likes in the MDC meetings, but her reach isn't what it used to be, surely.

I mean, sure, but the festival I imagine still want to be on good terms with the local residents, after all the Eavis' still live there the rest of the year. They do still put up with a lot what with the build, event and disassembly. It doesnt take much effort from the festivals part to swap Macca and Kendrick after all, assuming they are both available on those other days.

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

With the license extending over so many years, do the locals really have that much sway over things any more? Griffiths can yabber away all she likes in the MDC meetings, but her reach isn't what it used to be, surely.

I don't think the threat of licence issues has ever really much of a factor in terms of lineup conversations - by the sounds of it, the idea of a locals-friendly act on the Sunday has always allegedly been about Michael hearing it from his neighbours if he books someone they don't like.

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

I really want to see her loitering by the cider bus … complaining about the Sunday headliner 

5 hours ago, waltere said:

Interesting that a few months back the general consensus seemed to be that Taylor was the most nailed on returner out of 2020's trio, and now it seems all but certain that she's the only one not back

Just shows that we’re all a bunch of geeks who haven’t got a fucking clue.