2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

I'm happy with Billie, but I'm not sure she's a replacement that Taylor fans with Glasto tickets will be universally chuffed with. I think for the majority, Gaga or Adele would be seen as more appropriate replacements. It is what it is and there's no onus at all on the festival to "replace" Taylor, but I don't think Billie being a very popular female act means she's a perfect swap. It's best seen as a fresh booking I think.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm happy with Billie, but I'm not sure she's a replacement that Taylor fans with Glasto tickets will be universally chuffed with. I think for the majority, Gaga or Adele would be seen as more appropriate replacements. It is what it is and there's no onus at all on the festival to "replace" Taylor, but I don't think Billie being a very popular female act means she's a perfect swap. It's best seen as a fresh booking I think.

If Billie wasn’t available how much do you wanna bet Adele would have been asked? Sounds like she’s going to be around just at the time of the festival.

They probably would have kept it in their back pocket if they were really stuck.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If Billie wasn’t available how much do you wanna bet Adele would have been asked? Sounds like she’s going to be around just at the time of the festival.

They probably would have kept it in their back pocket if they were really stuck.

I'm not too sure. It depends on their stance with repeat bookings at this point - we've only had two festivals since Adele last played, but ultimately it'll also be 6 years when the next festival rolls around. Personally I'd rather them ignore the years and wait something like 4/5 festivals before repeating, but I'm sure we'll have exceptions to that. Adele's headline set just feels very fresh in the memory. Even Florence would seem a bit too soon, but maybe that's just me!

Edited by jparx

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I'm not too sure. It depends on their stance with repeat bookings at this point - we've only had two festivals since Adele last played, but ultimately it'll also be 6 years when the next festival rolls around. Personally I'd rather them ignore the years and wait something like 4/5 festivals before repeating, but I'm sure we'll have exceptions to that. Adele's headline set just feels very fresh in the memory. Even Florence would seem a bit too soon, but maybe that's just me!

Yeah I think it would only be a last resort but aside from those who were there in 2016, Adele returning is something I can imagine happening and will probably go down well. I think she will join the list of people they can call on if they are super stuck and she’s about. It’s not like she has been everywhere and anywhere since she last played. People would find it a pretty unique booking!

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I think it would only be a last resort but aside from those who were there in 2016, Adele returning is something I can imagine happening and will probably go down well. I think she will join the list of people they can call on if they are super stuck and she’s about. It’s not like she has been everywhere and anywhere since she last played. People would find it a pretty unique booking!

Aye, she definitely has that star/unique quality. Obviously touring is crucial income for a lot of acts, but I really think when you reach that top level you can really benefit from staggering your releases/tours, making each one a bigger event. Look at Muse - they're around so often I think it's devaluing them as a live proposition. Liam is the same as well, to the point where I think an Oasis reunion is meaning less and less as years go by. It's interesting that Taylor was the queen of this, but has lurched to the opposite camp (in terms of album releases) but I guess she's a special case.

I'm disappointed but keeping an open mind (just).  When the 2019 Pyramid headliners were confirmed I was pretty relaxed about missing them - rap not being my thing, Killers were gash in 2007(?) and never been a Cure fan.

Watched them all on the tellybox though and realised we'd clearly missed something great.  I *may* swerve Kenny (surely Stormzy has that genre sewn up?), Billie we will almost certainly see given her profile and the opportunity, and Macca, well, he's a Beatle, not sure there are too many times to see a real Beatle playing live to 100,000 people in a field.

I understand there's other stuff on elsewhere too?

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Replacing one of the biggest female artists in the world with another one of the biggest artists in the world is a pretty good job. If Taylor isn’t available there isn’t anything they can do about it.

Oh I know there is nothing they can do .... doesn't mean I can't be disappointed about it. 

When your first Glasto was going to have one of your favourite artists making their first appearance on the Pyramid and it ends up being downgraded to Billie Eilish it is hard not to be disappointed.  No interest in Billie Eilish whatsoever- she isn't even in the same league as Taylor.

20 minutes ago, jparx said:

Agree with this.  Would have been delighted with Gaga, Adele or even giving Dua a bump up.  Just cannot get why Billie Eilish has got so big - just a load of hype.  She is dull as f**k and cant even sing

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can’t see Adele rushing back to do it, as things stand she hasn’t released anything between now and when she last headlined.

She came, she saw, she smashed it. Not sure what is to be gained from having her back, especially so soon.

13 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Oh I know there is nothing they can do .... doesn't mean I can't be disappointed about it. 

When your first Glasto was going to have one of your favourite artists making their first appearance on the Pyramid and it ends up being downgraded to Billie Eilish it is hard not to be disappointed.  No interest in Billie Eilish whatsoever- she isn't even in the same league as Taylor.

Selling just as many concert tickets, albums and streaming numbers are high. If you want to compare their careers at the same age youll see one is well above the other. Besides, you couldnt have cared less about Taylor Swift when she was 20. So let’s not play the game of who you like more and such when half her career was ignored til it sounded more pleasing to your ears.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can’t see Adele rushing back to do it, as things stand she hasn’t released anything between now and when she last headlined.

She came, she saw, she smashed it. Not sure what is to be gained from having her back, especially so soon.

Totally agree.

Stunning set.

8 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Selling just as many concert tickets, albums and streaming numbers are high. If you want to compare their careers at the same age youll see one is well above the other. Besides, you couldnt have cared less about Taylor Swift when she was 20. So let’s not play the game of who you like more and such when half her career was ignored til it sounded more pleasing to your ears.

Eh?  Daft point you are making comparing to when Taylor was 20.  Taylor wasn't booked at 20 with only 2 albums behind her.  Bottom line is that she isn't 20 now and is miles ahead of Billie at this point in time.  Taylor's back catalogue is vastly better in both depth and quality at this point in time and that is why she was a far better booking.

Edited by circus92

13 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

What’s any of this got to do with whether someone would enjoy watching Billie Eilish as much in 2022 as they would Taylor Swift 

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I dunno I think the channels between her and the festival will be more open than that as Adele has expressed that she would prefer to do an odd high profile show than a full on tour. She’s way too big for something like BST and if she’s doing the odd show she would probably want some TV coverage.

I also think once more “heritage” acts hang up their boots, the festival will need a different set of people that they can rely on to come back every 5+ years. I think it works out very well for Adele personally to pop up every few years with a big glasto performance. I can see her having a Coldplay style arrangement with the festival as it means a lot to her.

Regardless I think she wants to do it again anyway.

4 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Eh?  Daft point you are making comparing to when Taylor was 20.  Taylor wasn't booked at 20 with only 2 albums behind her.  Bottom line is that she isn't 20 now and is miles ahead of Billie at this point in time.  Taylor's back catalogue is vastly better in both depth and quality at this point in time and that is why she was a far better booking.

If you want to say Billie isnt good enough then make them the same age and compare them. Thats the only way to go about it to make this a reasonable argument. But again, you didnt care about Taylor at age 20.

it wasnt even that long ago that people wanted Lorde to headline and she is only 24. Wouldve only had 3 albums out. But she is a perfectly suitable headliner because she appeals to YOU. 

6 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

What’s any of this got to do with whether someone would enjoy watching Billie Eilish as much in 2022 as they would Taylor Swift 

Because everyone wants to just find a way to redirect disappointment onto the only thing thats in front of them which is who might be on the poster instead. Somebody who had zero control of the circumstances that lead to this happening. Maybe just go rage tweet at Emily instead? Im sure if it was Arctics instead of Taylor this all wouldve been a small blip. Just an “oh well, next year” type of thing. Not “oh, billie isnt my bag, this is terrible”.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I dunno I think the channels between her and the festival will be more open than that as Adele has expressed that she would prefer to do an odd high profile show than a full on tour. She’s way too big for something like BST and if she’s doing the odd show she would probably want some TV coverage.

I also think once more “heritage” acts hang up their boots, the festival will need a different set of people that they can rely on to come back every 5+ years. I think it works out very well for Adele personally to pop up every few years with a big glasto performance. I can see her having a Coldplay style arrangement with the festival as it means a lot to her.

Regardless I think she wants to do it again anyway.

Neither of us know personally so it’s just speculation, headlining Glastonbury was her dream, and she did it and nailed it. That night that set, that crowd… it very much felt like something special, a true one off. Coming back after just one album to play the same set with a few new singles thrown in would dilute that IMO.

It’s the same reason Blur are reluctant to come back. 2009 was genuinely special. There’s no need to go again.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Because everyone wants to just find a way to redirect disappointment onto the only thing thats in front of them which is who might be on the poster instead. Somebody who had zero control of the circumstances that lead to this happening. Maybe just go rage tweet at Emily instead? Im sure if it was Arctics instead of Taylor this all wouldve been a small blip. Just an “oh well, next year” type of thing. Not “oh, billie isnt my bag, this is terrible”.

Why are you getting so defensive over someone personally thinking Billie Eilish is a downgrade from Taylor Swift? Who cares?

Personally, Elton John would have been an upgrade over Macca. That doesn’t mean Macca is shite and that I’ve offended anyone who likes him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You seem to be getting very defensive, this is an open forum for people to discuss their opinions. Equally odd to mention the age thing, if Taylor was booked at 20 to headline there would have been a mass of people saying it was a terrible booking.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Agreed it's gash! Dua Lipa Saturday Other please. 

The disappointment stems from the fact, I’ve never been able to go before despite trying for years and it’s likely I won’t be a regular going forward. Was hoping for the full experience of at least 2 or 3 belting headliners but that’s not the case in my book. Everyone has different tastes but those two are just not for me.

It’s also technically the 50th anniversary line up and that’s a pretty lame line up for an anniversary of that magnitude or tradition.

Edited by Justcalledtosay

4 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

The disappointment stems from the fact, I’ve never been able to go before despite trying for years and it’s likely I won’t be a regular going forward. Was hoping for the full experience of at least 2 or 3 belting headliners but that’s not the case in my book. Everyone has different tastes but those two are just not for me.

It’s also technically the 50th anniversary line up and that’s a pretty lame line up for an anniversary of that magnitude.

The 50th anniversary is long gone now. We really need to drop it.