2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Just seen the line up, looks like a festival on its final legs. A first announcements of 'meh' acts. Nothing that you look at and go, thats a great booking

I think it's a step up from the last few years. Muse are at least a genuine stadium act.

Kasabian only headlined in 2018 and since then have been through their 'issues'. Not sure who still wants to see them headline (Peter Crouch obviously, but who else).

32 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Just seen the line up, looks like a festival on its final legs. A first announcements of 'meh' acts. Nothing that you look at and go, thats a great booking

20 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think it's a step up from the last few years. Muse are at least a genuine stadium act.

Kasabian only headlined in 2018 and since then have been through their 'issues'. Not sure who still wants to see them headline (Peter Crouch obviously, but who else).

Yes it’s a step up. IOW is probably going to remain buoyant as it’s target audience isn’t exactly picking apart their lineups. They will probably do fine by booking the odd popular act every few years and booking acts for the mums. Credibility wise tho I can’t see it recovering. 

The future of festivals pulling large acts in the UK is now limited to Glastonbury, BST, Parklife, and maybe the odd upcoming star at R&L. We are already nearing a point where gigantic acts in the UK either do Glastonbury, Stadiums or both… not much in between.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The future of festivals pulling large acts in the UK is now limited to Glastonbury, BST, Parklife, and maybe the odd upcoming star at R&L. We are already nearing a point where gigantic acts in the UK either do Glastonbury, Stadiums or both… not much in between.

Agreed. Imagine if IOW had managed to bag Elton and/or Coldplay. Would be a totally different story.

52 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

It's a gamble in Kasabian. Still nobody knows where they sit on the popularity scale now... and a safe booking in Muse. Nothing inspiring but it's a B+ pair of headliners imo

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So maybe like I said the other day, major acts will have to take headline gigs at medium-sized festivals to get paid.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are Muse *that* far apart from Coldplay? Coldplay sell more records and get more airplay but they're still multiple Glastonbury (and other festival) headliners, stadium fillers and whatnot...

I meant '...as well as Muse'. I don't think Muse are that far off Coldplay, and they're certainly a step up compared to the other IOW headliners next year. Had IOW had 2 headliners at that level, any talk of them on their last legs would be nonsensical. 

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are Muse *that* far apart from Coldplay? Coldplay sell more records and get more airplay but they're still multiple Glastonbury (and other festival) headliners, stadium fillers and whatnot...

Muse are a big band but their size isn’t equal in all markets they sell in. Coldplay I’d say are a truly global band. They are about the same size… everywhere. A rare feat.

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say they've peaked in terms of size haven't they? They're still a big band, but I've got the feeling their status has dropped a little. 

Just now, henry bear said:

Based on what?

Last time they played Rock Werchter, they didn't even manage to sell out their day (while being a pretty exclusive festival booking in 2019), whereas other big acts like Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Foo Fighters,... managed to carry a day on their own. In the past they seemed like a much hotter ticket. 

Maybe it's because they're touring too much? I mean, next year they're even playing festivals like Open Air St Gallen, Mallorca Live, Beauregard Festival...