2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, morph100 said:

I saw a lot leave Kanye and Gorrilaz but sometimes people watch half a show then want to get in SE corner before it gets too rammed. Other times though they just want to get away because it’s terrible 🙂

Kanye had this really weird middle part which was just boring and felt like it consisted of him just playing around with autotune. I almost B-lined for Block 9 at that point. 

It might be truly magical - I've never been there at the time - but I just can't see why people would want to leave a smorgasbord of headline options across dozens of stages to get to the south east corner early.

I know it's more spacious but there's never anything really that special programmed until past midnight, is there?

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Anyone who saw the opening half hour, realised they left their evening extracurriculars in their tent, hoofed it there and back, then returned for the final half hour must have been laughing. You'd think he knocked it out the park.

“Ah I love Bon Iver. Bet that was brilliant! Oh well I enjoyed it regardless”

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It might be truly magical - I've never been there at the time - but I just can't see why people would want to leave a smorgasbord of headline options across dozens of stages to get to the south east corner early.

I know it's more spacious but there's never anything really that special programmed until past midnight, is there?

Some people really enjoy DJs/electronic music.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But does it kick off that early?

2019 had stuff like Bicep, Four Tet, Peggy Gou, Ben UFO, Call Super on around the same time as the headliners so there’s plenty worth watching imo.

I’ve never gone early myself either but can see the appeal, Glastonbury’s DJ choices are about as good as it gets in this country.

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

2019 had stuff like Bicep, Four Tet, Peggy Gou, Ben UFO, Call Super on around the same time as the headliners so there’s plenty worth watching imo.

I’ve never gone early myself either but can see the appeal, Glastonbury’s DJ choices are about as good as it gets in this country.

Fair enough. I thought it was Silver Hayes where the big name DJ’s lived in the early evening etc.

In all my years of going to Glastonbury I can genuinely say I've never heard so many people complaining as I did about Kanye when I wandered back to my tent at the front of Row Mead to re-supply.

I'd spent all that afternoon / evening at the Park and walked back after Jon Hopkins headlined. I was walking against a tide of people returning from (leaving?) Kanye - not sure if the park finishes before the Pymild headliner or not - and it was an audible bow wave of vocal disappointment.

Made me a bit sad for those people to be honest. Impossible to tell if they were disappointed fans of KW or casual fans who'd come to see what all the fuss was about.

Never known anything like it.

There's only two sets I've left early due to not enjoying it. James opening the Other in 2016 and Kanye. Even then, with James is was partly due to not really digging the set and part due to wanting to get over to the Park to see Night Beats. Whereas with Kanye we just gave up. Ms Antilles was never convinced but came along to give it a chance but she was pretty keen to ditch out and join the other half of our group who'd gone to Mothership at WH. There was no arguement from me to be honest.

Kanye was nowhere near as bad as people claim it was. I bet a large portion of those who left were the types who see Pyramid headliners no matter what and a lot of those are still attached to the whole "Glastonbury is for rock" thing. 

Yes it was a messy set and had a lull in the middle but it was not the total disaster that people make it out to be. Lots of people leaving a Glastonbury set before it finishes is hardly unusual is it. After all, loads left Radiohead's set despite them being the most critically acclaimed band of their generation, returning to the festival for the first time in a few decades and with a well received new record.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We left about 40 minutes into The Cure last time, their set is seen by most as a triumph but we just weren’t digging it.

That was more down to us than how they were playing.

I remember seeing the The Cure at Wembley and they did a silly amount of encores, it got to the point of me staring at the clock so I could leave in time for the last tube as they were running so late. I decided not to and see all of the (maybe?) 8 encores consisting of 3ish songs per encore and completely missed the tube so we had to spend 4 hours on nightbuses compared to the 40min tube ride. I didn't even hear the song I was waiting for despite them doing 40+ songs.

I don’t think Kanye was that bad. Start and the end were good. Wasn’t even my worst headliner that weekend- that came the day after.

I was in a similar position for all 3 headliners on the Pyramid in ‘15 (never again) and from where I was standing, Kanye started with the biggest crowd of the 3.

Of our group, only 2 of us out of the 7 made it through the mid-section though. While it was the biggest drift of any headliner I’ve seen, I wonder how much of that can be driven to having a larger, more casual/curious crowd in the first place.

It did seem a bit like a phoned in performance from Kanye. Very little stage production and only him up there with a DJ. But then I think Glasto was part of a wider tour that got pulled right? I think that was the year he was meant to be touring with Rihanna and it got cancelled?

Rihanna and Kanye were booked for Werchter Boutique and it was cancelled.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah - not with the cherry picker and that lighting rig.  Might have been divisive and you can argue about how successful the decision-making process was but it had clearly been devised and planned out with a lot of forethought.

He used a cherry picker for coachella in 2011 and a few other festivals he’s done.