2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

She’ll have a big crowd, at the start at least. It may peter out depending on how the show goes, but I don’t think she’s gonna be walking out to a notably empty field at all.

What I do think is that there’ll probably be a lot less hype around it than there was her Other Stage show in 2019. Although her new album ended up being pretty good, I really don’t think it’s connected with a wider audience like her first did and by next year she may well already start to become yesterday’s news, especially as she’s already released like six singles from it pre-release and there isn’t really anything on there that can be released to get the buzz back up. Maybe the festival was wise to get her next year instead of waiting until later when she no longer seems an exciting prospect. 

Just my opinion though, and I look forward to having egg on my face when the buzz around her headline show ends up being massive and she maybe even smashes it.

I genuinely don’t get the hype around her in the slightest, her songs really aren’t very good and if it’s anything like the other stage performance you’ll only be able to hear a few muffled words! 

It'll he the biggest exodus from the pyramid since Gorrilaz. 

That being said I hope everyone who loves her gets a great performance 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Remember the average age of a Glastonbury goer is significantly older than most people expect. The crowd is certainly a lot more diverse than it used to be (and this is a very good thing), but I do wonder how big the crowds would be for a headline set. Although, as ever, I guess it would depend on the opposition. 

I would probably challenge this view now. I would argue that Billie is very popular in the 20-30 bracket and there will be some parents taking their children / older attendees who are very active in new music. 

From what I saw on iPlayer Stormzy got a pretty ginormous crowd, some would argue that Stormzy has less crossover than Billie but I don’t think it’s much of a point. Billie is a huge touring artist and huge in the media - my mum surprisingly knows a lot about her and her brother and I think she surely passes the mum test.

She will have one of the largest crowds of the weekend and she will probably pack a good show with it too. Watching the Disney+ performance it proved to me that she can do a lot to switch up live performances. Oxytocin, Bad Guy, You Should See Me In a Crown etc will go down so hard on that field.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If I had a nickel for every time someone said there would be a mass exodus from the pyramid stage… it’s just fictional nonsense. There is always a bit of crowd churning with every act. Using this logic you could say there was a mass exodus from Radiohead in 2017.

True, possibly could be so tired after hearing her drone on they’ll just stay where they are 😉

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

True, possibly could be so tired after hearing her drone on they’ll just stay where they are 😉

It’s exactly the same logic as me saying that thousands will march out of the pyramid field once they notice Macca’s voice isn’t what it was 30 years ago! It will be the biggest mass exodus we’ve ever seen!

It’s built on fiction and it’s just nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s exactly the same logic as me saying that thousands will march out of the pyramid field once they notice Macca’s voice isn’t what it was 30 years ago! It will be the biggest mass exodus we’ve ever seen!

It’s built on fiction and it’s just nonsense.

I say it tongue in cheek really but honestly I cannot think of much worse than having to endure Billie again (actually Kate Nash, that was worse!!!).  But that’s the amazing thing about Glastonbury, you’ll be having the time of your life there and I’ll be watching some other act that others think is rubbish and having the best time too!

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If I had a nickel for every time someone said there would be a mass exodus from the pyramid stage… it’s just fictional nonsense. There is always a bit of crowd churning with every act. Using this logic you could say there was a mass exodus from Radiohead in 2017.

The only mass exodus I've ever noticed at the Pyramid stage was Gorillaz in 2010 (and that was up the back, not sure what was going on near the front)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jparx said:

You’d think this forum would have learned not to write off a headliner’s performance in advance. I’ve certainly learned that lesson over the last few years. Let’s see what Billie does, but I suspect there’s a good chance she absolutely kills it.

Can you believe some people dare write their predictions on this forum when they could easily be wrong?

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I would probably challenge this view now. I would argue that Billie is very popular in the 20-30 bracket and there will be some parents taking their children / older attendees who are very active in new music. 

From what I saw on iPlayer Stormzy got a pretty ginormous crowd, some would argue that Stormzy has less crossover than Billie but I don’t think it’s much of a point. Billie is a huge touring artist and huge in the media - my mum surprisingly knows a lot about her and her brother and I think she surely passes the mum test.

She will have one of the largest crowds of the weekend and she will probably pack a good show with it too. Watching the Disney+ performance it proved to me that she can do a lot to switch up live performances. Oxytocin, Bad Guy, You Should See Me In a Crown etc will go down so hard on that field.

Hmmm. I’d argue that Stormzy was relatively well known in the wider world. His initiatives had received significant coverage in the media (BBC Breakfast, rad 4, Guardian etc). There was definitely an awareness of him as an emerging cultural and political force. 

1 hour ago, sadimmock said:

Hmmm. I’d argue that Stormzy was relatively well known in the wider world. His initiatives had received significant coverage in the media (BBC Breakfast, rad 4, Guardian etc). There was definitely an awareness of him as an emerging cultural and political force. 

Either way Billie has been one of the biggest artists going since 2018/2019 and that will be continuing right into 2022. Whilst her latest album raised some eyebrows with its roll out - it seems to have stuck much more than other big releases of the year. Many walked out of Donda, CLB, Solar Power, Star Crossed, Planet Her etc feeling empty handed but Billie has impressed with HTE.

With Don’t Smile at Me, Sleep, and HTE she’s got enough of a back catalogue now for hardcore fans and causal listeners. It’s fine.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Using this logic you could say there was a mass exodus from Radiohead in 2017.

You could say that, because there absolutely was.

I turned up about 20 minutes in and by any standard it was significantly more than just standard crowd churn - The number of people leaving vs the number arriving was something like or possibly more than 10 to 1.

1 hour ago, incident said:

You could say that, because there absolutely was.

I turned up about 20 minutes in and by any standard it was significantly more than just standard crowd churn - The number of people leaving vs the number arriving was something like or possibly more than 10 to 1.

We were stood near to the toilets on the left hand side of the field towards the cider bus and path...half way through Radiohead's set I went to the toilet and as I walked back became very aware about how empty it had become compared to when it started.

Was a bit of a shame for us personally as me and my friends are from their hometown (Abingdon) and having seen them twice before I thought it was one of their more better sets.