2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Does my nut in to think that Kylie-Miley 2019 was also the Nas-ster's debut UK performance.

That was his first UK gig? That’s sick. Maybe Glastonbury would be on the cards for him in the future then. I have him down as a R&L act but it’s good if Glasto got him first.

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Still not strong enough as a live act to warrant headliner status, in my opinion. She's there because of popularity.

Since when has being a strong live act been the reason acts make it to headliner? It’s popularity and always has been, lest we wouldn’t have had Sheeran up there with a guitar and a loop pedal headlining the whole thing to a mammoth crowd. 

When I see her live footage I can’t help but feel the deck is stacked against her for her G2022 set.

Her good live shows seem to be energised by a devoted fan base. She’s already made a bollocks of one Glastonbury set and now she’ll be adding a bunch of ballads from a less-popular album and playing them in front of a larger, less-partisan crowd.

There’s no doubting she’s a headliner at this point in time but I can’t see it being one for the ages, and I predict it’ll be looked back on by both festival and artist as merely a box ticked.

• Upvote 1

You’d think this forum would have learned not to write off a headliner’s performance in advance. I’ve certainly learned that lesson over the last few years. Let’s see what Billie does, but I suspect there’s a good chance she absolutely kills it.

People had written off her 2nd album after some of the singles but it ended up being really good. She strikes me as the type of person you don’t write off or underestimate.

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

You’d think this forum would have learned not to write off a headliner’s performance in advance. I’ve certainly learned that lesson over the last few years. Let’s see what Billie does, but I suspect there’s a good chance she absolutely kills it.

People had written off her 2nd album after some of the singles but it ended up being really good. She strikes me as the type of person you don’t write off or underestimate.

I can’t help but feel that some people on here are unusually harsh against her. 

There is also this weird view I see that the festival won’t be populated with people who are massive fans of her? Strange.

Edited by Matt42

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can’t help but feel that some people on here are unusually harsh against her. 

There is also this weird view I see that the festival won’t be populated with people who are massive fans of her? Strange.

Remember the average age of a Glastonbury goer is significantly older than most people expect. The crowd is certainly a lot more diverse than it used to be (and this is a very good thing), but I do wonder how big the crowds would be for a headline set. Although, as ever, I guess it would depend on the opposition.