2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They defo don't only do headlining. They played second down the second stage at T in the Park in 2011. Yes it was a decade ago but that was only like 2 tours ago by their standards.

They’re down to headline TRNSMT aren’t they? So they’ve gone from subbing the second stage to headlining the main stage at its replacement.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They defo don't only do headlining. They played second down the second stage at T in the Park in 2011. Yes it was a decade ago but that was only like 2 tours ago by their standards.

T 2011 also had Beyonce subbing though. Clearly they just had a massive budget that year.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’re down to headline TRNSMT aren’t they? So they’ve gone from subbing the second stage to headlining the main stage at its replacement.

That year of T was a weird one for sure and that was a bizarre placement. Just giving the one example I know of the not headlining a festival.

Yeah they're headlining TRNSMT but again it is a pretty bizarre festival with placements sometimes too, like Foals are not headlining whereas they have have headlined APE the same as Strokes did. 

I think sometimes bands will play lower/higher than you might expect at trnsmt than Glasto- e.g Capaldi and Nutini (obv a Scottish factor there), and some acts Glastonbury can just attract to play lower than they should. To me Katy Perry was huge when she played but she did like 3rd down or something.

I don't think it's that mad that the Strokes play Glasto, something seems to have changed with them imo and they seem happier touring now. They played small venues in Belfast etc pre covid i think which they wouldn't do if they weren't happy touring.

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I do wonder if, in general, the idea of certain bands being to expensive to book needs a post-pandemic rethink. 

By increasing the amount they're prepared to pay to get the biggest acts? The festival tends to get away with it by account of it's huge reputation and coverage on TV resulting in increased sales for the headliners. It's not an easy question to answer, personally I'd prefer to keep a reasonable balance across all the stages as too many other festivals have big, expensive headliners then the quality of act drops off massively down the bill. 

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I don't think it's that mad that the Strokes play Glasto, something seems to have changed with them imo and they seem happier touring now. They played small venues in Belfast etc pre covid i think which they wouldn't do if they weren't happy touring.

They’re happier touring now, for sure. You can tell by watching them. I don’t think it means they’re gonna step away from their history of taking the money though - it seems festivals are willing to give them it now more than ever.

For what it’s worth, in 2020 they were down to headline festivals right around Glastonbury - even in France on Glasto Saturday iirc - and they weren’t on the bill for the 50th.

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

By increasing the amount they're prepared to pay to get the biggest acts? The festival tends to get away with it by account of it's huge reputation and coverage on TV resulting in increased sales for the headliners. It's not an easy question to answer, personally I'd prefer to keep a reasonable balance across all the stages as too many other festivals have big, expensive headliners then the quality of act drops off massively down the bill. 

More that some acts may have to rethink what their top line is.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’re happier touring now, for sure. You can tell by watching them. I don’t think it means they’re gonna step away from their history of taking the money though - it seems festivals are willing to give them it now more than ever.

For what it’s worth, in 2020 they were down to headline festivals right around Glastonbury - even in France on Glasto Saturday iirc - and they weren’t on the bill for the 50th.

Yeah good point. To be fair, I forgot they had announced the 2020 one. Spaces will open up tho I guess and we know they are doing something in the South of England. I would guess Lattitude probs.

I just don't understand that Lytham festival they are playing. Makes no sense to me. If it was just about money surely their own gig at Heaton Park or something would make more sense.

21 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

T 2011 also had Beyonce subbing though. Clearly they just had a massive budget that year.

I'm sure the story that year was that The Strokes were due to headline the second stage at TITP but asked to go on before the headliner for some reason. Second stage headliner at a major festival is probably about where they were at in 2011 so it makes sense.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah good point. To be fair, I forgot they had announced the 2020 one. Spaces will open up tho I guess and we know they are doing something in the South of England. I would guess Lattitude probs.

I just don't understand that Lytham festival they are playing. Makes no sense to me. If it was just about money surely their own gig at Heaton Park or something would make more sense.

They're playing in Australia July 22nd so that rules Latitude out.

They could maybe do BST same weekend as TRNSMT.

56 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Neil had it on good intel that QOTSA were Friday, so PSB we have assumed are actually still Sunday, as they were in 2020.

However...

Relton vs Pet Shop Boys would be a serious vote splitter. Every stage operates independently for the most part, and legacy act vs legacy act can happen, but surely you won't run the two most successful gay acts this country has ever produced against one another? The overlap is enormous. PSBs would get hammered.

If RR gets Sunday night, I could see PSBs shuffle.

Hmm.

What if Elton is booked for the Saturday?

Neil did say he thought Elton was a replacement for Macca.

Edited by Matt42

31 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I haven’t seen any evidence really that anything has changed - they seem to be doing what they’ve been doing for a while. Everywhere they go they headline. That year at T was a bizarre lineup and they headlined at R&L that year. T is an anomaly and their recent track record imo just proves that it was even more.

We've got a massive heritage act in Aerosmith, who have no connection  to the festival whatsoever, seemingly playing a not so secret set. They managed to book Janet Jackson to play 3rd down the Pymild. People really need to stop ruling out bands like The Strokes as being a possibility, especially post-pandemic. A lot stranger and outlandish bookings have been made previously by the festival that a band like The Strokes headlining Other or subbing. 

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

I mean, @Rose-Colored Boy made a good point. Elton vs anyone could be a bloodbath. Elton vs Dua is theoretically a daft overlap, but for a lot of 21yos and younger, they might not see Elton as a Saturday night rave-up in the same way. Dua would command a huge crowd. So that's less than ideal but viable.

It does seem specifically poor planning to have the Pet Shop Boys against him, though. Not just talking about a dance-pop clash, or a heritage head-to-head, or any of that. It's the two iconic gay acts of this country's history. They've worked together, and Elton even did 'It's A Sin' at the BRITS this year. I'd envision a switch on the cards.

Pet Shop Boys to sub Relton.

Diana Ross -> Lizzo -> Pet Shop Boys -> Elton John for the biggest, gayest and best festival run of all time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I mean, @Rose-Colored Boy made a good point. Elton vs anyone could be a bloodbath. Elton vs Dua is theoretically a daft overlap, but for a lot of 21yos and younger, they might not see Elton as a Saturday night rave-up in the same way. Dua would command a huge crowd. So that's less than ideal but viable.

It does seem specifically poor planning to have the Pet Shop Boys against him, though. Not just talking about a dance-pop clash, or a heritage head-to-head, or any of that. It's the two iconic gay acts of this country's history. They've worked together, and Elton even did 'It's A Sin' at the BRITS this year. I'd envision a switch on the cards.

You could move PSB opposite Billie and then stick bands in the JP and up in the Park and everyone would be happy. Something like:

• Pyramid - Billie
  • Other - PSB
  • Holts - Isley Bros
  • Park - Manics
  • JP - Fontaines DC
Edited by Hugh Jass

14 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

It does seem specifically poor planning to have the Pet Shop Boys against him, though. Not just talking about a dance-pop clash, or a heritage head-to-head, or any of that. It's the two iconic gay acts of this country's history.

Ahem. I don't mean to insinuate that you don't know what you're talking about, but I believe you've forgotten about Rylan Clark-Neal.

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They co-headlined Reading/Leeds that year.

And thus killed any interest I ever had in seeing them again. Man that Reading set was bad. 

Clash dependent, I'll check them out at Primavera but I hope they don't take a good place up at Glastonbury. Sorry y'all. 

29 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yep. Dua on Other, with a Radio 2 guitar band on WH and a whopper favourite like Catfish and the Beeskness on JP, and you’re laughing.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

27 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

The Office: Tim & Gareth discussing the superchicken - YouTube

14 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

And thus killed any interest I ever had in seeing them again. Man that Reading set was bad. 

Clash dependent, I'll check them out at Primavera but I hope they don't take a good place up at Glastonbury. Sorry y'all. 

Honestly, you're missing out. Having seen them at APE and Roundhouse in 2019/20, they were awesome both times. That's been the general consensus too from the majority of people who have seen them going from various reviews/reports despite them being notoriously lacklustre previously. Think a few here who were at those two sets would agree - I'd definitely recommend catching them if you can.